Post your Questions & Topics for Tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast

I’ll be live streaming another episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 1:30pm PT. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes, whether it’s about the the next-gen Fire TV FCC leaks, the new Apple TV, AFTVnews, myself, or tech in general. Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. fassfa says:

I did the trick that allows you to put sideloaded apps on the recent menu. I noticed that them apps I sideloaded on to the fire tv no longer appear in my recents list. Did amazon change something to take that away? Does the old trick to getting them appear still work?

2. mjbxx says:

Issues with Amazon apps on a rooted Fire TV. I can not get most apps (Smithsonian, Mediahhh, CBSN…) to work properly. I am running a Kodi launcher and think this might be causing it. Generally, I have to reboot the Fire TV to get most Amazon apps to work. Thankfully, I can get most of these apps directly through Kodi but would rather use the apps offered on the Fire TV. Have you experienced this and possibly know of a way for Amazon apps to work properly on a rooted Fire TV with a Kodi launcher?

• Some One says:

I am rooted on 3 different FireTV and do not suffer from that issue. I do NOT have KODI as a launcher though.

• countersteer says:

I’m with Some One. It sounds like a result of using Kodi as your launcher. I’ve never had an issue with Amazon apps utilizing the stock launcher.

• mjbxx says:

I agree with both of you. I am hoping Elias knows of a possible way to remedy this issue on a rooted Fire TV. E.g. Would a factory reset of the Fire TV solve it? Is it even safe to do so?

3. Ricky says:

Hi, since i installed Kodi 15.1 on my AFTV, it keeps freezing again and again. Any solution please? thanks and regards.

• countersteer says:

Kodi updated 15.1 to 15.1.1 for Android devices only in late August. You may want to try updating from the Kodi download page.

4. Some One says:

Is there any way to delete the Amazon photo cache that’s nearly 400MB & keep it deleted? I’ve tried the changing the screensaver to a personal album but it still caches all the Amazon images as well. I’m also rooted, is there a rooted method to make this happen. I’ve been trying to remove them for a while & every time it redownloads them. Maybe blocking the exact web address that they’re downloaded from?

• magister says:

Set your photo album to never come on. IDK if this is a screensaver setting or in the photo menu. After, erase cache/data. It will stay at 0. I have done this on two fire tvs.

5. Some One says:

The Logitech K400 was $20.08 last night (maybe before that too) and is $21.99 now. Exclusively for prime members!

6. Patrick N says:

Why do you think the new Apple TV isn’t a 4K device?

7. HeyRadar says:

Is there a way to force Fire TV to use a lower bit rate for Prime vidoes?

1st. I have a data cap, and don’t want to use it up watching re-runs.
    2nd. My FireTV stick stuggles with the wifi, so I’d like to keep the load off it. I’ve had times where a Prime show will pause when it switchs from HD to SD and back to HD.

Rokus have a hidden menu to change these settings.

8. Nate says:

I’m currently running a rooted FireTV with prerooted firmware bueller-
    At some point my FireTV now always will display an error about not enough space on internal storage for an app to install once I’ve left it alone and it’s been sleeping.
    I have since then added a 64GB USB 3.0 drive to it but this does not change the out come. I have 2.5GB of free space on internal storage.
    Is there any chance at all that I some how triggered an installation of an app from Amazon that is that big and it keeps trying to install it from the cloud? I never notice my space changing or seeing what it could possibly be.
    I do have Kodi but I also killed it from running in the background just thinking maybe something on it was trying to update, but the error continues.

Thanks for any insight on this. I plan to upgrade in the near future to a later prerooted version.

9. JRock says:

Hey Elias, I’ve really enjoyed watching your website grow, and look forward to the forums.

I was wondering if you think that Amazon will follow the same pricing model as they did with the 1st gen devices, and bank on new customers signing up for Prime and sell devices at basically cost? Have you seen any numbers on this from the box/stick sales, or anything indicating they might be leaning in one direction or the other? Do you think Amazon will release/offer any type of new service with a Prime subscription to accompany their new devices (movies, tv shows, shopping discounts, etc..)?

I feel like Amazon is at the point where they really need something to offer something new/different from any other streaming service…but that could just be me being greedy.

Keep up the good work, it is much appreciated.

10. Lodewijk (Lewis in english) says:

Hi Elias,

I heard you mentioned before that stuttering playback (on Netflix in my case) can be the result of Android not being to good in removing files completely after deleting applications. My HBO now, Amazon doesn’t have these issues. Any advice how to make Netflix run more smooth?

The new Apple TV was a bit disappointing. The future of TV is Apps, come on, seriously? Especially no 4K while the next fire TV will. Do you think this will hurt Apple later or not? If you have a 4K TV (which will only be increasing) and want a set top box you will take a 4K box(fire TV).

Sorry for lots of txt. Always enjoy your insights!

11. Elias,

1st question

I had beta OS 5 on my AFTV, but hated not having Firestarter app so I requested to go back to OS 3. I have not been able to to update to latest Amazon firmware. Is there a way to force an update or should I contact support?

2nd question
    With all your work and sacrifice to the AFTV/cord-cutting community, how can We support you?

Thank-you for your passion!

12. Stank says:

I love Kodi and have it on a fire stick. Is there any advantage of running Kodi on the Fire TV?

Also, what are the advantages of rooting a Fire TV/Fire Stick?

Thanks, Elias. Love your site and cast.

13. Emma Topping says:

Amazon Instant Prime for ROKU 3 in UK please!