Post your Questions & Topics for tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast 59

I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast, at this link here, tomorrow at 11am PT / 2pm ET. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Jack says:

Does Kodi installed on a FTV2 use a specific port to communicate? What is it? How can I determine which port is being used?

2. murphy says:

Is alexa able to dictate text in textfields on the fire tv?

Find very hard to type with the fire tv remote.
    I know there is a mobile app which you can use to type easily but alexa dictation to type would be nice.

Alexa is not enabled in the uk yet so have no idea.

3. clocks says:

I was able to play with the Mi Box today, and here are my initial impressions. It’s a good box for the money, but if you can find a deal on a 4k FTV, you are better off with the latter.

Fast wifi – avg about 200meg on my connection, close to router
    Fast within Kodi and Netflix
    Decent bang for the buck

No 10bit video playback in SPMC (have not tried Kodi yet)
    Remote missing buttons (play/pause, ff, rw, menu, etc..)
    Vudo app + included remote is a headache

In hindsight, I probably would not buy the Mi Box. Other than having Vudu, the FTV just does everything better for similar money. The FTV has a Amazon app without needing to sideload. The FTV has a better remote, in terms of more buttons(this is actually a big deal) and higher quality feel. Also the FTV seems to playback every file I have thrown at it, but the Mi Box does not.

Anyway, that’s my initial thoughts after using the box for 45min or so. I ordered a box from Xiaomi and bought a box locally from Walmart. I will likely ebay or return the unopened walmart box, as I don’t see any reason to keep two of these at the moment. I suspect the FTV will remain my box of choice for now.

4. cdlenfert says:

The main things I’m watching out for are Recovery and OTG storage access on the Stick. I know Recovery is still in development, and people have said OTG storage isn’t going to happen, but then I found this Seems legit, but I’m not sure it’s replicable and the guy doing it doesn’t know why it works either.

Thanks for any updates on either or neither :)

5. John says:

Can I downgrade a system app on the firestick without resetting it? Also will it mess up my firestick if I update a system app from the Internet by searching an apk?

6. Matt says:

Any news on the updated AFTV app for iOS and fire OS? Anxious to try it out (no google play devices on hand.)

Also, do you know when the new update to the FTV interface will be updated for all other, not newly shipped FTV stick devices?

Love the show thanks!!!

7. Ted Danson says:

Two questions.

1. I’m reading rumours the past 48hrs that Amazon is blocking VPN on a ‘Netflix scale’. Any truth in that?

2. A few items I’ve read point to, and this also affects myself, users losing icons or missing apps on their AFTV, Tablet, Phone, Appstore etc for apps downloaded from another Amazon region.

The app still works, downloads etc but the main large icon says No Image Available.

This is despite clearing and renaming the Venezia cache folder, factory reset etc. All options exhausted.

Any ideas what’s up? VPN related? Echo related?

8. wonko the sane says:

Hey Elias!

Do you know if there is a way of displaying the codec that the FireTV is using? Or the current bit rate?

I have displayed the download speed using System X-ray, but there’s a lot of buffering going on, so it goes up and down quite a lot and it’s not easy to deduce the bit rate.

I’m still trying to get to the bottom of the poor video quality / excessive solarization over HDMI. When I stream from other services on the same box over HDMI the picture quality is much better.

Also, do you know if there is a way of displaying info on my TV’s Amazon video app like the system x-ray? Or is it device specific or just not available?

Thanks for all the good work!

9. Barney Stinson says:

I am *not* loving the new Amazon music app on the AFTV. This is definitely a huge backwards step.

Do you know if there a way of skipping through the artist / album by first letter instead of having to scroll through every single title until you get to the one you want? I have hundreds and it’s a real pain.

Out of interest, what is your personal opinion of this “evolution”?

Thanks :)

10. John says:

Is there any cloud service that works offline on the firestick? There is a Amazon AppStore apk that changes the app section to a side loaded app section! Is there anyway to fix this problem when I download a app from the fire stick AppStore?

11. Rebecca says:

I recently purchased a Fire Stick and I love it. When I went to order a second one they are all out of stock and it says they will no longer make the original cheapest fire stick. New versions are being upgraded and the one with the voice remote will be my next choice. My question would be whether or not I could still add Kodi to the new devices? I had heard rumors of Amazon protecting the software so that Kodi can’t be installed to the new upgraded devices.

12. Ujn Hunter says:

Can I turn off the annoying Amazon Music Unlimited “ads” on my Echo?

I use my Echo to play music almost every day for myself and for my son. I realize that the music selection on the normal “free” Amazon Prime Music is constantly rotating and some songs come and go… so in the past if I asked “Alexa, Play 5 Little Monkeys” she would play a version of the song that I either owned or was free on Amazon Prime Music. However if the song was no longer in my collection or free on Amazon Prime Music she would just say “Here’s a sample of 5 Little Monkeys” and then play a portion of the song… but now thanks to Amazon Music Unlimited (a service I will never use or care about) she will spout “ads” about the service instead… “Here’s a sample of 5 Little Monkeys, you can listen to the whole song by signing up for Amazon Music Unlimited, ask me at any time to sign up using your Amazon Echo” and then play a portion of the song.

As you can imagine it gets old really quickly listening to Alexa spout “ads” at you every time you try to play a song for your child. Seeing I don’t give a rat’s behind about Amazon Music Unlimited, how can I stop Alexa from saying this over and over again?

13. Some One says:

Any insight on debloating a custom fire rom? There’s a ton of services on the fire tv/stick. Lots have got to be unneeded for a chunk of us. Obviously…”PM Disable” would help as far as resources go but I’d like to gain back some of that precious internal space. I like to keep my Fire as bare as possible so Kodi can utilize as much as it needs. As history has shown…when you tweak your OS to your liking the you tend to enjoy the experience a little more. Basically no one has documented what ALL the services on the FireTV do and if needed. There’s a handful of threads on xda for other devices but not the FireTV.

14. Munkie says:

Trust you keeping well,

My question pertains to VPN and DNS services for the Amazon Fire TV

What would you recommend? have you got any experienced with these types of services.

I’ve been testing several VPNs on the Fire TV and I’m having difficulty accessing geo locked apps/services. They seem to load fine however when attempting to load encrypted streams error messages appear regarding region.

I’s also tried setting up a virtual router with the same results

15. Henri says:

You can debloat the fire stick using

A great tool to debloat all Amazon apps and would leave only firestopper.

• Henri says:

Just note that the kodi that this installs is a build, so when asked to install Kodi, don’t due to third party addons and then customise it as you like.

16. Freemz says:

Is there a way I can get something like teamviewer to work on fire tv box & sticks?
    I’d like to be able to log onto my laptop or and control someone elses fire tv.

17. Rey from San Diego says:

Will Kodi and other third party apps like Mobdro, Showbox, Popcorn Time, game emulators, survive the next upcoming new FTV OS update?