Post your Questions & Topics for tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast 53

I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast, at this link here, tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do most Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Munkie says:

These are more general questions:

What got you interested in the Amazon Fire TV over other android boxes?
    What features do you hope for in the near future regarding the AFTV?

Great newscast by the way, I watch every week!

2. Masterblaster says:

What software features or hardware would you like to see in the *new* Aftv.
    What apps or interface would you to see as well.
    What do you think could be killer device this holiday season?
    Always enjoy you thoughts. Awesome website!

3. DEAN RACKLEY says:

A forum member over at Xda has found a way to add Chainfires SU to the Fire TV Stick after rooting with KingoRoot then KingRoot then adds a script to have root via Chainfires SU, have you tried or know how safe this process maybe? Bare it in mind this is done all without a recovery system but some users have said they have had success with this? Just wondering if Rbox or any of the other Fire TV Devs plan on doing anything with this in the future? I myself probably won’t risk this unless it’s 99.9% safe but it’s very tempting to try, the forum member did also come up with a downgrading method for the stick too (I have not tried this because I have no need to downgrade my Sticks. Any thoughts on these AFTVNews?

• J conlin says:

It is me who upped the guide with the SuperSU replacement, and put together the guide to downgrade, (just rolled information together as a guide for fire stick).
      If followed correctly and you are on 5.0.5 only, (one of my friends neglected to downgrade and this bricked his device) you should have no problems.
      If you (like others who have followed the guide end up in a non booting state kingoroot pc version will root and boot you back up.
      I tried every possible combination of messing things up and doing things in the wrong order and could not brick my fire stick, if it didnt boot kingoroot rooted and booted me everytime.
      I didnt want to put the guide up if there was not a failsafe of kingoroot as I had to use the failsafe a few times while testing things out.
      One note id like to add, rbox did comment on another thread I was involved in (some guys fire stick would not boot but he had root,) that as long as he had root he would be able to revive it when he released custom recovery… So it seems he is releasing it, so there may be no reason to folloe this guide as the recovery he releases will most probably have SuperSU with the rom he puts together.

4. Todd says:

Why does my first generation Firetv now say it is sending logging information to Amazon.

5. Tony says:

How long would you speculate the firetv’s product run will last?
    (I’m hoping all of our devices will continue to run ok & have support until atleast the remainder of the decade.)

6. Jim says:

I have kodi installed on a fire tv2 but if I update to the latest fire os version would I loose kodi?

Also what are the benefits of updating to the latest fire os?

Also if I turn my fire tv2 on and off repeatedly would it get damaged?

• Jim says:

One more question: I have an unopened Shield tv console 4k version with two game controllers but should I quiclkly sell this since the new one is coming out and make more $$ now than later just like my unopened ftv2 that I have hanging around?Or is there not much difference comparing it to the mew shield coming out? If its similar then I might just replace one of my 3 ftv2’s that im using with the shield tv.

Also would the shield tv gaming controller works with ftv2?

Also since the ftv2 was bought in November 2015 the OS should be rootable right even if I don’t know the exact OS version?

7. Eric W says:

Hi Elias,

I hope you are well. Quick question about a specific app in Kodi. I’m looking to watch NHL games this coming from season on the Roger’s Centre Ice app (I have a subscription) but they don’t have an app for Android tv. A few developers made an add-on within Kodi so subscribers can log in and watch hockey games. My question is: is putting for my information in this add-on within Kodi safe? Would I be safer to purchase a casting app? Or maybe there’s a good free one that’ll work for casting my phone to the TV?

I have another question regarding the Google play store. I recently added it to my AFTV 1 it works ok but the search feature does not work and it quits the app when. I try to search. Any ideas why this may be happening? Any quick fixes you can suggest?

Keep up the great work bud!

Eric W.

8. anthony says:

i have couple of question: first, let me say thanks for all the great work that u have done. please keep it up. my question is: can/would you please do a tutorial on how to addin games to kodi? and when i root a aftv2 device. some work flawlessly, but few dont; i tried to re-root but the twrp wont load after restart? can u tell me why? thanks

9. Andrew says:

Are there any future fixes/improvements for the FireStick and/or PS Vue to stream sports on a consistent 60fps? Sports seem choppy and almost unwatchalbe while other programs are just fine, I’m assuming it’s the FireStick (although the specs say it can handle up to 60fps at 720p) or perhaps it’s Vue/or a combo. Does the Fire TV “box” stream this way as well?

10. J conlin says:

Hi again, as always excellent work, I will try to watch if my two boys let me :) not so quick question, do you know of anyway to initiate an update from adb without root? Have a friends Fire stick which is a non boot quite sure os version he tried followinh a guide I put up on xda to swap over kingoroot for supersu without downgrading to 5.0.5. Kingo root will not recognise the stick (unless I open a command window and ADB kill/start server.) it will then I would have to repeat that step for Kingoroot to get to 100 percent even though adb is enabled and have shell access. I can also adb shell then su and I get a root prompt but any further command I type I get a blinking cursor, nothing else. If there isnt a way to start an update (No access to recovery/cache is the problem) is there any other commands I could try before the stick gets binned?
    Thanks again.

11. Josh says:

I have a second gen fire TV that is NOT rooted. Two or three times a week it will drop its network connection while in use. I know it’s not my wireless because laptops and phones in the same room stay connected. My workaround is to restart it which fixes it. Any suggestions? BTW, love your show.

12. Lodewijk lewis says:

Hi Elias. Cant watch live tonight but will think about you ;)

Do you think that together with new fire tv devices the os will be updated to android 6? That would trully be awesome because of the limited disk space on the aftv.

13. Mewtwo says:

Is it a software issue or Amazon in dropping the top right banner of “Prime” on prime videos in FireTV and FireStick within the past day?

14. Dactster says:

Do you think Amazon will get a cloud DVR service for Amazon fire TV?