Post your Questions & Topics for tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast 45

I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast, at this link here, tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do every Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Jaremy Pyle says:

I’d like to hear your comments on picture quality of the Fire TV. I have the current gen box in my setup as well as my TiVo and a Samsung K8500 UHD BD player all driving a new Vizio P75 display that support Google Cast.

I’ve found that for Amazon Video, Netflix, and HBO Go, the picture quality of the Fire TV is generally the worst one.

Watching Game of Thrones via the Fire TV vs. casting from their tablet app to the TV is a night/day difference. The Fire TV has terrible shadow quality, has bad macroblocking and noise, and so on.

I also noticed similar differences in other recent viewing. That included Jessica Jones on Netflix as well as watching Star Wars Rebels via Amazon Video. There’s a definitive difference in blacks, noise, and general picture quality from the Fire TV to my other devices.

I can guarantee it’s not a configuration issue. All boxes are getting similar bit rate/bandwidth as well, so it’s not a service difference. I have reliable 75 Mbps internet from Comcast and everything in my setup is wired with high quality network components.

Have you done a real discerning picture quality test of the Fire TV to other boxes comparing same content from the same services?

• Jay says:

I agree with your comments about picture quality differences. I have the current Fire TV box, a Roku 2 and 3 as well as an Apple TV 4 and the apps built into my 2016 Sony 4k TV. To my eyes, the Apple TV has the best picture quality across all apps. The Apple TV’s brightness, contrast, gamma, color and sharpness combine to make an excellent picture. The apps built in to the TV are the next best, followed by both the Fire TV and Roku players. Of course, I’m comparing 1080P video from these sources, not 4k video. I can only assume that the variances in picture quality are due to the differences in the chips used and factory calibrations made for each streaming box.

2. Jon Burgess says:

How about discussing the 5.1 audio issue with the current Fire TV FW. Many people have been reporting the Fire TV is only playing 2.0 audio. Doing a ‘clear data’ on the video app seems to fix it for a while in some cases.

• Robert Simandl says:

+1 on the loss of 5.1 sound on Amazon Video. And it’s not a new firmware issue. My 1st-gen FTV box has this problem and it’s still back on 5.0.5, without even the .1 at the end. My Tivo hooked up to the same ethernet connection and same surround receiver still passes 5.1 channel sound fine and dandy.

• Walker says:

+1 on the latest failure to receive 5.1 surround sound. With Amazon Video now hosting “add-ons” such as Starz, Showtime, Tribeca, it is strange that they are not on top of this issue. There is no way I’ll subscribe to an add-on that offers only stereo. I would also like your opinion on whether Amazon could/should offer a Preference Setting for 5.1 Audio, via the webpage for setting other Prime Video settings: such as their excellent options for closed caption/subtitle display?

3. taveras says:

can i Install Custom Boot Animation on first gen fire tv OS3 wiht CWM recovery.

4. Nate says:

Will the custom rom downloads ever be updated with the later releases on this website?

Will there be more guides added and a better way to view/sort for what’s available on the this website?

Thank you!

I’m always checking it out here.

“proud AFTV1 rooted owner”

5. The Great Gran Puba says:

My question is on my FTV 2nd gen, I’ve noticed when I go into manage apps to check the data on my kodi app, right below it is Amazon pictures. Something I never use, but from time to time I notice it fills up to 3-400 MBs. Where does that keep coming from? I’m assuming it’s from Amazon icons, but all I use is kodi, Netflix, and YouTube. Thanks in advance.

6. Bob says:

Has anyone experienced this, or know how to fix?

I have removed and reinstalled netflix multiple times, and I still have it.
    It is driving my wife crazy.

7. Tony says:

Recently on the Hulu app I’ve been getting black screen playback with only sound playing. Has everyone else been getting this too and is this a common problem without a fix yet? Any idea if a sideloaded Hulu app would function better?

I’m on a rooted fire os3 so not sure if Hulu is working better for newer fire2 os5. I also noticed reviews from past 6 months have also mentioned this.

8. DeanR1977 says:

Any good Rebooting apps which are compatible for the fire Tv? Or a script that can reboot Kodi because sometimes it needs a reboot because it becomes unresponsive? I tried a scrip to do this but it didn’t work? Might be because the storage location isn’t the default one. Also a list of useful scripts would be great too. Thanks in advance

• Mark says:

I use fast reboot pro, it works fine for me on my fire tv 2.

• DeanR1977 says:

I tried this but it didn’t reboot my kodi, just came back with an error? My kodi isnt in the default path it sits in sdcard0/android not in the internal location of the aftv2.

9. DeanR1977 says:

A create your own bootanimation guide would be great I am sure I’m not the only one wanting this too. Thanks

10. J conlin says:

Have you any news on any update/development with firestick recovery from Rbox?
    I do appreciate it takes time with him being the only developer.
    Ive tried without success changing to chainfires Su, have you any insight of a possible way to?
    Do you know of any app similar to chainfires flashfire? As flashfire seems to be only way we can flash.Zips without a recovery, but refuses to work with Kingo SuperUser, it needs chainfires su. Im deeply grateful for what you do for the community without you, your advice and site filled with guides alot of us would be lost. Thanks

11. Atone says:

Hello Elias,
    In regards to blocking updates do any of “list of domains” prevent Amazon video content from playing eg. Movie trailers from Amazon etc.?Every time I play a trailer, it just hangs with rotating loading symbol.
    I currently have these blocked on my router and openDNS:

Thanks and have an awesome weekend!!

• Atone says:

Well I just tried it again and it’s working. I know I just recently removed the item below from block list, so that must have fixed it.

• Atone says:

Now I found that it still has problems on some trailers sometimes play fine, and other trailers don’t play.. Sometimes it says internet is too slow and other times it says network error.

So not sure if it is related to blocked updates at all.

12. J conlin says:

Hi again, is there any way to reset a standard non voice bluetooth remote ?
    I have one im trying to connect to my 5.0.5 firetv 2 (the remote was originally from a firestick on and if im not mistaken im sure ive seen a pop up on screen saying updating remote firmware while being used with firestick. while trying to connect it with firetv 2 it wont pick it up.

13. Tim says:

For the Netflix corruption issue. You need to update to the latest Rbox FireTV 2 (sloane) Prerooted Stock Images []. That fixed the issue for me.

14. J conlin says:

thanks for the replies, after a little searching ive came across this to restart the bluetooth service on firetv 2

service call bluetooth_manager 8