AFTVnewscast to stream live tomorrow instead of Friday — Post your Questions & Topics

I won’t be available to stream the AFTVnewscast at my usual time this Friday, so the live stream will take place tomorrow, Thursday at 1:30pm PT, at this link here. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Murdock says:

Is there any new trick to start Kodi from the main menu ? Firestopper still works, but the doubble click didn’t work anymore after the last update, event not when setting the intervall between clicks to 1000ms ?

Greetings from germany

2. Ryan says:

Why can’t more space be freed up when using a micro sd card on the @nd Gen AFTV? I bought a 32GB card and it barely uses 1 gig of space after I “moved” all apps possible to it. The bulk of the app’s storage remains on the box’s internal storage. I have about 1 gig left but that is not enough to install a game I would like to have on my AFTV. Thanks!

• Tony (atone) says:

I’ve also struggled with having only 1 gb free on my rooted ftv1 but my 32gb flashdrive does store most of the Apps/Games when I selected to move files to USB storage. But the large games (eg.100mb to 500mb) will only store on the Internal memory in the Data and OBB folders found in Android folder. 1gb or larger games are not really possible if you have too many smaller apps installed. So the FTV is very limited to running very large games.

-Try going through Managed installed apps, and clear the cache especially Kodi. But be careful not to erase data of the apps.

-Run a cleaning program like Cleanmaster a few times a day to always free up memory and cache.

-Use Esfilemanager and try checking Android>data and obb files to see which apps are using most of the data. And decide if you want to uninstall any of those apps/games. Sometimes more memory than you thought is freed up from uninstalling 1 or 2 apps.

-A Less convenient drastic Trick you can try is:
      With Esfile manager: Creat a folder called Game Data Moves on your Flash drive, and for the games/apps you don’t play much, temporarily copy the large data or obb files onto the flash drive, and then erase them from the internal storage to make room to install more games/apps. When you want to play the moved games again, then just copy the data back manually to the appropriate internal storage folder.

If anyone knows other tricks for managing data space then please let us new.

3. Tony (atone) says:

For those who have updated their FTV1s to newer FireOS5, were there any problems getting 5.1 dolby digital to output properly through spdif digital output for Netflix and Kodi apps? That was one of my only concerns when I update from a rooted fireos3 to a rooted fireOS5.

I also run Novalauncher with the help of xposed modules and was wondering if you know if it’s going to still be possible to run a different launcher on a new rooted FireOS5 FTV1? I don’t use firestarter, since I prefer the androidbox/tablet feel and layout of Novalauncher.

Thanks Elias and keep up the great work with the most informative firetv site in the world!

4. Eric W. says:

Hi Elias,

Thank you for putting together the TWRP/Custom Rom installation guide (and all the other guides I had to follow, lol). I have been waiting since 2014 to finally root my devices and it was breeze thanks to you.

I’m interested in installing Xposed Framework. Will you be updating your guide for installing Xposed framework on a rooted AFTV 1 running is an update even needed?

Thanks for all the help and keep up the great work!

5. David says:

If you hide/block updates on the AFTV can Amazon get past it and push an update through.

I’m also wondering if you have a rooted device why we can’t simply delete devicesoftwareOTA.apk and be done !

6. would just like to say amazon new update is rootable using kingoroot apk.

7. Philip says:

What is the best vpn solution for fire tv. Something fast and reliable that is always running in the background and permanently connected to the vpn?

8. Robert Simandl says:

“Recent” items after the upgrade to 5.2.1 now go to the app’s info screen when you select them, requiring an extra step to open them. What was the reasoning for this? Selecting a “recent” app used to directly open the app. Why did Amazon add an extra unnecessary step?

Also, is there a way to exit the Playstation Vue app other than the remote’s Home button? I know that’s never a preferred way to exit any app, but on PS Vue I can’t seem to exit any other way?

• Robert Simandl says:

Whatever the issue was with “Recent” apps, seems to be fixed now. Still wondering if there’s a way to exit PS Vue other than the Home button on the remote.

9. Tom says:

Can i delete the kodi Data which is shown under the Apps Section of the fire tvs settings? I Wonder what Takes up 1gb, since i dont store Movies on my Fire tv.

• atone says:

Deleting data would delete all your kodi addon’s and playlists within kodi. Remove any unused addons and repos. Thumbnails and cache are probably eating atleast 300mb on your kodi setup. You need raw maintenance add-on that deletes cache, package cache, and thumbnails. Most of my kodi setups are around 700+MB since I have well over 40 addons. They all add up so deleting some will help.

10. Munkie says:

What application can I use to get my rooted fire TV 1 to read a NTFS formatted external h/d?

11. Tom says:

Can i Root my Fire Tv 2 5.0.5. even tho that it is full with stuff? I dont want to put all apps etc back on manualy. Thanks

12. TechyChris says:

Hello Elias, I read your interesting post pertaining to Microsoft X-Box, I don’t know much about x-box, would the streaming box be full android based or an “android fork” (meaning: slightly app hobbled)
    like Amazon? Always good to have alternatives and competition!

13. htduy11 says:

hi, any body help me, how to disable onscreen keyboard?

14. htduy11 says:

hi, any body help me, how to disable onscreen keyboard in FTV1 Fire OS 5 preroot ?

15. John B says:

After looking at the comments on the article and seeing some UK FTV owner comments, is still rolling out? Since it’s been about a week for me and the new features don’t seem to be activated yet, any idea when they will be?

16. Roy says:

Elias, Had a question regarding recent apps. Lately Sling has been getting stuck when loading (black screen). The only way to correct the issue is by restarting the fire tv 2. Is there any quick way to kill the app and restart it? Like a recent apps screen. I know Apple TV has this. Just wondering if the Fire TV does too.

17. Tony (atone) says:

I want to try out the new rooted FireOS5 on my rooted FireOS3 FTV1, but is it possible to go back to rooted FireOS3 after installing rooted FireOS5 (in case we didn’t like the new FireOS5 for some reason)?

Once again, Thanks Elias for all the help your site provides everyone!

18. g4rfs says:

I’ll try to catch live show (I’m in UK)just to let you know I successfully rerooted my stick using Kingo and nothing else (see mezdev on xda)I know you have tried.
    Can I second the request for Xposed info for my newly “custom rommed” Fire tv1 as I noticed conflicting views on xda.
    Any reason why xposed is’nt included in the custom rom are there any negatives to its being added?
    And any experience of alternate launchers or anywhere I can check them out?
    Keep up the good work of keeping us WELL informed and thank you.

19. daparames says:

Hello Elias,

One of the most important topics for users who want to root their AFTV’s and Sticks is to block the updates right away.

But is it 100% realiable and safe to block Amazon updates through OpenDNS router method, hiding through ADB, and using Debloater?
    Can I be 100% confident that my FireTV Stick (waiting for it to arrive) will not get updated?

20. Carl says:

is there anyway to get the new version of xfinity tv (not the “go” version) to work on fire tv 2? I managed to get it to work for a few weeks but then had to re-side load it and now i’m suck at the app wanting to load a web page to login that the fire tv can’t open… there has to be a way to consistently install the app!

• Carl says:

i care because it works so much better than the tv go app, since it allows you to watch things you DVR and set the DVR all from the app. which i love.

21. Sconnyuk says: