Post your Questions & Topics for Tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast

I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast, at this link here, tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do every Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. porosenok says:
    Any way to show standart android notifications on fire tv2?

2. Philip says:

Is there any way to get the fire tv 2 when booting to go directly into the search page or my watchlist page instead of the home page. I feel some images of some movies are not appropriate for my kids and would prefer when booted or coming out of sleep mode to default to the page of my choice

3. WickedForte says:

I am curious, I have searched and tried side loading certain apks of vnc servers in the hopes of using that to configure/play with my installed programs like KODI and other programs when I’m at work with free time. I use vnc services on my linux and windows machines but I haven’t found any vnc android server that will work on the FireTv2 with Root. I have found one VMLite VNC Server that worked with the FireTV1 but not clear if it will work with AFTV2 nor do I want to cough up $10 for the license currently.

Almost seems like I’ll have to create an opensource application.

Also, this isn’t for use of a mouse and keyboard, more of Remote Setup/debugging/experimenting

4. David says:

I was wondering what you use to capture the AFTV screen when making your videos. I have had an issue with getting the audio when making videos.

I use a View HDMI splitter into a Monoprice HDMI converter via HDMI to DVI cable and output into an Elgato game capture HD and to my pc via usb with no way to imput the audio into my Elgato i get no audio from the AFTV.

David H

• David H says:

I understand DVI is video only however i have both streams going into the ViewHD splitter that has composite & SPDIF outputs that I’ve connected to the Monoprice HDMI converter to reassemble both streams when it outputs to the capture device. Just wanted to clarify. …

5. David says:

I also wanted to share something I learned with AFTVNews and it’s readers.

I just began rooting and have 4 AFTV 2’s that have installed on them. I was going to share how the AFTV 2 installs 5.0.4 then 5.0.5 and then finally and that you don’t need to be concerned with pulling your network cable because as you know you can just let it update then root after initial setup.

I learned if you never install your batteries in your AFTV 2 remote and use a remote from another AFTV 2 to complete the initial setup while being connected via ethernet and blocking updates via your router the AFTV 2 will scan for networks for a brief moment and skip straight to the registration screen and this works after rooting the and wiping it
    as your tutorial suggests and completing the initial setup again while having the pre-rooted rom installed.

David H

6. Jim says:

Hey Elias or big E, I need some info on the type of junk included with kingroot.

My atv2 seem to be only half filled in internal memory with kingroot installed. And when I checked apps I only see some new apps:

Those are the only 4 I see after Kingroot installed. so what other junk is there that I should be worried about. I am too lazy to reinstall firestarter to get kodi installed. Most importantly Kodi is what I want.

Thanks again big E!

• Jim says:

2nd question, if wipping is really necessary after kingroot then what is the easiest way to install kodi afterwards.

3rd quesetion, if a-a usb cable is the only way to root then how can I easily install kodi?

Lastly, the method that I used to block software update was method 2 (when it was unrooted) then after root I used method 1 (rooted) but is their any additional ways i can block updates; I have an asus rt-n66r router and it can’t block https apparently and i paid alot for this damn router! It is however connected to a comcast modem.

Love you again big E!

7. Camman41 says:

My service provider is AT&T for cable internet and U-verse TV. Is the LAN port on the dvr ‘hot’ that I could send the signal to a switch/hub? Or do I need to invest in a MoCa kit or a difficult attic ethernet cable run?

8. Ian King says:

Seems that Comcast no longer supports the Starz Play and Encore Play apps on Fire TV. Will this pullback soon extend to HBO Go?

9. tom42 says:

Any update from rbox on Gen 1 FireOS5 Prerooted Image, last I saw was “should be released by early May at the latest”

• JANA DOE says:

I also would like to know, if the original fire tv 1 will get an update. Ni mir love for the device that started this site?

10. Munkie says:

Hi, Great Show as always!

Have you managed to get iso-Micks amazon voice search to work within Kodi.
    Im really keen to give it a try however I have not found any video tutorial on how to do this.
    Would you be willing to create said tutorial?

11. Wonko the sane says:

Hi Elias!

I am curious to know where Amazon FTV technical support is based. When I call FTV support I either get through to Ireland or South Africa (judging by the accents) and they always want to refer my issues to the mythical “technical team” but no-one seems to know where they actually are located and I am starting to doubt they even exist! I’m guessing they’re in the USA. I’m also guessing that it might be an outside company that subcontracts to Amazon.

I’m also starting to hear rumours of a Gen 3 AFTV. Do you know anything about a possible version 3?

Keep up the good work!

12. Joe says:

Q1: what’s the best VPN for Amazon fire TV 1st gen? Q2: what’s the best way to fix buffering/ limited storage on the amazon fire TV 1st gen? Ex. Zero cache, external storage option, my Internet is 60 down 5 up. Thanks for the help