Post your Questions & Topics for Tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast

I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do every Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. I’ll have the Amazon Tap and Echo Dot in hand to show off during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Tap, Echo Dot, Fire TV, rooting, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Ulises A. Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

Hello Elias,

As always, I am watching live!

Maybe because I put my question at the end of the list, and also because you do not refreshed the page, forgot to answer my question that I published in the last AFTVnewscast # 32

I asked about your recommendations of a 128GB Micro-SD Card for my FireTV, and also about what format you recommend to use for these Micro-SD Cards, to achieve better and faster access in the FireTV2 and FireTV1 devices… ExFAT or FAT32?

You recommend a specific type or brand of a 128GB Micro-SD Card,  that will help the installed APPs to work better and faster on the FireTV BOX?

Thanks for this excellent site and always help with all our requests!

2. Jim Park says:

You mentioned in a previous episode that you were going to try connecting a USB ethernet adapter to a Fire TV Stick. Have you tried yet? Did it work?

3. Bill says:

FireTV now has Alexa abilities and Alexa can control Honeywell Lyric thermostats (among others).

So, how can I configure my FireTV with the ability to control my Lyric thermostat so I can, for example, press the mike button on my FireTV remote and:
    1) Tell the thermostat to increase or decrease the temperature
    2) Go into ‘away’ mode for a set time.
    3) Change geofencing or other functions.

4. Kazam says:

Hi Elias,

Enjoying the technical depth of your podcast ever since migrating from the, now defunct, CordCuttersNews podcast.

I am retiring my Gen1 Rooted Fire TVs and upgrading to Gen2’s. What’s the best way to prep the Gen1’s for the next owner (i.e. wiping out my personal data, but maintaining root, update blocks, etc).

• Kazam says:

BTW, I saw your guide on “How to Factory Reset a rooted Fire TV using TWRP custom recovery”, but not sure if this will take me thru the OOBE requiring a download of the latest stock ROM

5. Vlad says:

Hi, I’ve been visiting this resource for over a year since I’ve got my 1st gen FireTV, but lately I feel that you’ve kind of abandoned it, all the guides are for the second generation. Wanted to ask that you’ll give some kind of update on 1st gen FireTV rooting future for os5, what’s up with the custom rooted roms there used to be, is it still wip or is it officially dead and I should up update it and root it by myself? Thank you.

• Daniel says:

I feel the same as Vlad mentioned.

Most of your guides are for firetv Box gen2.
      I would like to see in the future if you can write eveytime something about the other devices like you do in the root firetv’s guide in 5.0.5 OS.

Greetings by Daniel

6. Steve Kline says:

I am watching the BBC News App on my 2nd Generation AFTV and there is a lot of buffering. Is this something that I can fix when it happens, or is it something beyond my control?

(I am not suggesting that it is always like this, but it is like this right now as I am writing to you. I am curious whether you have an easy fix for me when buffering occurs. Prior to watching BBC News, I was watching Bosch, and there was no problem with buffering.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Joe says:

Go to and download the apk and install it on Fire TV/Stick and now you will have a whole bunch of UK channels including BBC News that work flawlessly. Amazon removed this app from the Amazon App store due to Geo restrictions but the developers have made the app available on their site for use by anyone and anywhere :)

7. Daniel says:

Is there any app or adb function to record a video of the FireOS System?

I try different apps with ps3 but without success.

Greetings by Daniel

8. DeanR1977 says:

I’m not asking for a release date, but more of a just a how are things progressing with a custom recovery/pre rooted rom with the fire stick? Does it still look like it will happen at some point? I’m rooted with Kingroot 4.1 & amazon ota updates blocked for now.

Thanks in advance as always

9. bob says:

So I just got two echo dots and I also had ordered 2 of the echo remotes but theyre on backorder till may. My question is will they work on the echo dot I have one for my echo and I very much love it. Thanks in advance and Im glad to hear all you hard work is paying off! I got a sticker on my car that says powered by amazon because man they just make life easier.

10. Adar Nebioglu says:

I want to buy something for listening music.But i cant use the phone.So i want alexa for it.I have hp’s 10 $ speakers.Which device i need to buy(tap-dot)? I will just listen music.(spotify pandora vs)Is amazon dot speakers enough for me.If i buy i will use it on my room.And room is quiet.Sorry for my bad English:D

11. Ed says:

Why isnt Kodi news stories for AFTV covered anymore? Its the only reason I bought an AFTV.

12. I_am_rushin says:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

13. Ray says:

Hi Elias

I have a bit of a follow up question from last week about tapping in to the eMMC on my 1st gen device, and if you don’t mind, I would like to include Daniel (our other fellow follower from Germany I think) in the question.

I read thru your guide for manually pushing an update to the FTV with an eMMC reader.

As that guide states how to do it via ADB I’m assuming I would manually need to create the “command” file without extension and containing the line of text in the guide.

I suppose it would also be possible to replace files and folders manually by extracting them from the update file and overwrite them with a copy/paste effort.

As Daniel stated in response to my query, he recommends using the same firmware that’s already on the device as to not screw things up any further. I suppose the buil.prop file will be easy enough to find to see what OS it thinks it’s runnung.

The one thing I’ve noticed seems to be a key step is the device being able to boot far enough to launch the command file, and here lays my query for both of you: is it possible to manually rewrite the recovery? I know the update file contains the recovery.img and your guide states how to do it ia ADB, but how would I do it manually by tapping in to the eMMC?? Is it possible??

Thanks in advance

14. ismadder says:

Any updates on rbox progress on fire tv stick root?