Post your Questions & Topics for Tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast

I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do every Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, rooting, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. I_am_rushin says:

HDR 4K TVs are finally hitting the market in force and at an affordable rate. HDR content is starting to roll out on Blu-ray, Netflix, and Amazon’s own video service. However, the current Fire TV is incapable of supporting HDR due to using an old version of HDMI.

Do you see Amazon releasing an updated version of the current Fire TV or a brand new version sometime this year? As I understand there was ~18 months from the original FTV to the 4K FTV and waiting until spring 2017 seems inconceivable to me.

2. Jerry says:

Have you used Nvidia Shield and if so how does it compare to AFTV for both gaming and Kodi use? I hear a lot of poeple rank that as the highest spec/best possible device on the market right now but I know it is more expensive than AFTV.

3. Ryan J says:

I would love to know if you or anyone has come across ways to track when Amazon Video goes on sale. This site seems to be on top of various apps that get price drops, which is awesome, but I am finding it difficult to track other kinds of digital media that could be consumed on my Fire TV.

The only resource I am aware of right now is but that seems to be limited.

4. Jose says:

What do you think about Vizio’s new TVs which are just big Chromecasts?

5. boudyka says:

Just something to chat-about tomorrow, Check out AlexaPi. I have yet to get it fully working but interesting times ahead. see the video from NovaSpirit on Youtube. here is link

6. Joe says:

Any ETA on RBox’s Version 5 for those with FireTV 1 which are already rooted on the older version and official updates blocked?

7. Mark says:

What’s the best game controller?

8. Daniel says:

Hey Elias,

here is Daniel again calling from Germany, Hamburg :)
    THX for reply to my 3 questions last week.

A little update about the controller config file in last aftvnewscast. I found a great way to get allready settet *.kl files.
    You can find the *.kl files in “/system/usr/keylayout/”.
    To find out the vendor and product ID of your controlling-devices, just connect your device and start adb shell and put “cat /proc/bus/input/devices” into it.
    There should be the name of the device and the needed informations.
    Then just google: “”
    I found 3 ones, all working great.
    You can also check the inputs but I came to that back in another way. Also it is possible to install “Hacker’s Keyboard” app and you will be able to create your own ki-Files!

Did you know the website:
    It is a website to list controller android games. Sadly not all working with the AFTV1 too but I would ask you why it is not possible to add a section in your page where users can upload informations about games, the sources, if sideloaded, with FireTV-Hardware with wich SW and so on. It is really really difficult to find good games for the AFTV. My loved ones are: Bombsquad and Badland. Both multiplayer and both working with my Xiaomi BT Controller.

I had many many problems with my FireTV-Stick with old Software
    It’s stuck on the boot-logo after crashinbg system :(
    Is there a way to get official sw with adb but without root (su wont work I dont know why? The rights are correct and su is in xbin-folder)
    I try fastboot with vendor to connect but the bootloader seems to be locked at all. I can not flash a signet-boot.img and I am not able to flash the cos there is not availible. Any ideas? At the moment I got no hardware-connection with emmc-adapter :(
    I am not alone:

Greetings by Daniel

9. HeyRadar says:

Hi, at the end of your show you ask us to like your show. Is there a way to like your podcast that uses the RSS feed?

10. HeyRadar says:

Another question. What tools and what is your process to publish your podcasts? If you have a guide you followed would you mind sharing?

11. Mayo says:

thanks for putting so much effort in the Fire TV, your side is my favourite newssource regarding FireTV and I usually listen to your podcast when I go for a run.

I have the following questions:
    1. What are the changes to use my VPN on my FireTV, maybe on a rooted device?

2. I bought Knights of the old republic when it went to free, but have never downloaded it. Now I downloaded it, but I can’t get it to work, since I always get an error “Download failed external storage full”. I assume this is because under Android Lollipop, Apps need to ask for permission. How can I grant it access manually, I thought you have already mentioned it, but I can’t find it anymore.

12. Nate says:

I have a first gen fire tv that boots to recovery with the android guy and a progress line that goes about 1/3 of the way and reboots.

I tried to fastboot with an a to a usb and here are my results (I am guessing the bootloader was not unlocked?)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot devices
    70900201411707TL fastboot

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    sending ‘recovery’ (8360 KB)…
    OKAY [ 0.284s]
    writing ‘recovery’…
    FAILED (remote: flashing not allowed for locked hw)
    finished. total time: 0.300s

Is there any way around this or is the fire tv garbage?

13. Steve Kline says:

Why are plasma TVs so hard to find nowadays? Is the technology obsolete? Didn’t it offer certain advantages over LED TVs?

14. Ray says:

Hi Elias

A little late posting. Hope you can still help with my query.

I still hace that non-bootable FireTV. A user on XDA suggested accessing the eMMC using the same adapter that was used for the hardware root some time ago.

If I was to follow that route, do you think replacing the files in the /system partition with the ones from the latest update could fix the problem?

Also, when talking to amazon, they stated the device had never updated to 5.0.5 according to them. Therefore, could it be a phantom update? Don’t know if that can happen.

If it where a phantom update, and my device where to be still running the previous software, where could I manually place the update file with full filename from Amazon so that it could detect it at startup and reflash itself? Or would that not be possible?

Thanks in advance

• Daniel says:

If you had emmc adapter it is possible to flash the system partition or any other partition you need. You should take the same software version to prevent bricking your device completely.

But… It is not a noob-safe process. You need advanced linux knowledge, a linux system, the emmc-adapter itself and soldering knowledge. There are some really small solder points you need to solder a thin wire on it. You should take a really thin cable. If you think it is thin, take a smaller one :D

If you had no adb connection it is acctually not possible to flash signed-files from amazon.
      You need to put the choosed bin file from amazon, renamed to into the cache partition. To put something into the cahce partition you need su rights.

So I really know less of your configration but gloabel I can say.
      To flash signed-firmware you need one of this:
      -adb access and su access / perhaps you can try “adb root” or “adb shell su”
      -a custom recovery like twrp or cwm and a usb keyboard or hid-device with keyboard access
      -access to the nand with an emmc-adapter to push the update file to the cache partiton or to flash the hole system
      -access to the launcher / main menu to update over ota

Did you try:
      -completely power off the device, no hdmi connection no usb connection (stick)
      -(stick) Use the officially usb power adapter?
      -Try a cold boot by completely power off the box/stick and lett them off for 15 minutes, no hdmi connection no usb connection(stick), then plug hdmi and usb (stick) in the same time. (a power socket with a switch can help :D )
      -Did you try hold down the Right-Button + Back button on the remote pressed while the system start/booting up?

If all the steps not help to solve your reboot-problem feel free to contact the amazon chat support under:
      or just type in the domain you need.

Write them what you allready do and you should be logged in with the amazon account where the stick is connected with. Most time you can send the item back to amazon (just the stick not remote and not the adapter! :D ) .

Greetings by Daniel

15. Ulises A. Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

Hi Elias,

I am Watching live as always!

I would like to know which format for the MicroSD-Cards, is recommended and works faster on the FireTV2 and FireTV1 devices…ExFat or Fat32?

Thanks for this excellent site and always help with all our requests!

• Ulises A. Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

Do you recommend a 128GB Micro-SDCard or specific brand that work better and faster?

• DeanR1977 says:

Im using a Sandisk Extreme 64GB Micro SD XC1 which i use Kodi from via the mod here on AFTVNews to switch all content to a SD or USB device, also have emulators, films & games running from it, & it runs flawlessly & fast.

16. DeanR1977 says:

I have a few questions

1. Some have explained about using a sandbox area on there SD or USB device where they can read/write files from kodi too, could you explain to all how to do this & which would be the best location to put the sandbox?

2. Is there an app or apps to safely unmount youre SD card or USB device so you can remove the device without corrupting or getting the data deleted? Hopefully not a massive app too?

3. can we use the alternative entertainment media app SPMC (a fork of Kodi) at the same time as we have Kodi on our systems? Say if we wanted to try it out first before making the jump? Which ones better?

4. Is the Xbox One pad with the wire attached working with the latest firmware/rom from Rbox because i cannot get it working via the tutorial from Bashninja over at XDA? Do you have a solution?

5. Whats the best Media/Video app for the Fire TV 2 other than Kodi for compatiblity? I have used Archos Video & am currently using VLC for Android TV, but some have many flaws.

Thanks again in advance as always & keep up the good work AFTVNews team.

17. Anthony Binns says:

I was wondering if you can answer a question for me, I have a rooted fire TV with custom recovery installed, but I would like to disable the default Amazon interface so it doesn’t boot up, instead I only want kodi to boot.
    I want to do this because I only use kodi on the fire TV, so by disabling the default interface I imagine it would speed up boot time and performance, as it’s using less resources.
    I know it’s possible using firestarter app, but again I don’t want this installed, But that app doesn’t fill all of my requirements, as it doesn’t disabled the default interface from boot, also wouldn’t want firestarter starting on boot either just kodi

How would this be possible, any wisdom on this would be much appreciated thank you.

18. Kazam says:

Hi Elias,

Enjoying the technical depth of your podcast ever since migrating from the, now defunct, CordCuttersNews podcast.

I am retiring my Gen1 Rooted Fire TVs and upgrading to Gen2’s. What’s the best way to prep the Gen1’s for the next owner (i.e. wiping out my personal data, but maintaining root, update blocks, etc).