Post your Questions & Topics for Tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast

I’ll be live streaming another episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do every Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Techy Chris says:

Hello Elias, I am a big fan of your podcasts. I have a Gen 1 Fire TV (not updated to OS 5 yet)and I use Fire Starter which works well for me except one issue: I cannot place a working Amazon Music shortcut on my Fire Starter home screen. I’ve tried leaving all the system settings as “shown” on fire starter but when I click on Amazon Music nothing happens, is it possible to do this? Thanks

2. Frank H says:

Hi Elias, Love the AFTV podcast. I also appreciate the work you do on the Cord Cutting show. You are actually what got me to switch from a Roku ecosystem to an AFTV one. Good Show! Any how, I remember you saying you use the Tablo app for live streaming of OTA TV. I do as well. Like you I find it lags a bit to the point of frustration on my Fire tv sticks. I reboot them preemptively if I am going in to use that app specifically to get it to run as fast as possible. Do you have any other tricks to speed up the apps responsiveness with going through its menus. Not even the stream start up time. Thanks.

3. Ray says:

I’m back again.

Let me start by saying thank you for answering my queries last week. They seemed a slight complex for me (due to the Amazon ecosystem, not so much Android in itself as I’ve been a user for many years, but as Amazon is a spin-off, you never know…) but they seemed straight forward for yourself due to your knowlege on the FTV and Amazon ecosystem.

Here’s my questions this week (no, I’m not one to make it easy LOL)

1st: AFAIK, the main purpose to root (or maintain said root) the FTV would be to install an alternative Firmware or add functions to it that weren’t available out of the box. Now that peripherals, external storage, etc etc etc has been added to the compatibility list; alternative launcher has found its way in without root or ADB… is it worth keeping root?? Is there a version of Android TV on the horizon for the FTV (my original reason for rooting)??? If there is reasons to keep root, what would they be in example..

2nd: When I asked you about the Xiaomi Controller, you mentioned that if it meets the standard Android HID requirements it should be fine. Does that mean that ANY bluetooth remote (cheap or expensive/ good or bad / comfortable or not) will be compatible with the FTV?? (I’m thinking of emulation and/or Modern Combat 5 / Xenowerk on my FTV mainly)

3rd: Are those mentioned games compatible with FTV?? (MC5 & Xenowerk) I live in spain, have my Amazon account registered to spain and got my FTV’s from NY in USA so checking compatibility is a bit of an issue without VPN’s and what-nots…

Thanks again for all you do for us FTV users ;)

4. Josh says:

Have you had a chance to use the Nyko Cygnus yet? If so what do you think? I have been waiting anxiously for your review to see if it is the controler to buy. Thanks!

5. Michael G says:

Magnavox has released an Android app for their relatively new network-capable HiDef OTA DVRs (models MDR867H and MDR868H) that allow owners to access the DVRs via their tablets and streaming devices and thereby stream the recordings, thus making the DVRs function very much like Tablo and other network-capable streaming OTA tuners and recorders. The app is currently available via Amazon’s App Store for use on Fire tablets, but it is not available for the Fire TV. So I’m wondering if Magnavox’s streaming app will work if it’s sideloaded onto the Fire TV, especially the first-gen boxes. And if not, would it be possible for you to find out if Magnavox has plans to release a version of the app specifically for the Fire TV? I’m considering purchasing one of the Magnavox DVRs, and I’d be very interested in using it to stream recordings from the one unit to the two Fire TV boxes I have on my home network.

6. Lodewijk (Lewis in english) says:

Hi Elias,

Won’t be watching live tonight because a weekend away with the wife.

What happened to the cord cutting show of this week? Cannot find it online.
    I believe amazon is going to challenge and beat siri big time. I think that the closed system of apple is biting them in their behind. everywhere alexa support is added but I never hear anything about siri. What do you think?

Thanks and take care

7. Jens says:

I’m finding nothing on this problem, so maybe I thought I may try here:

When I boot my Fire TV without the beamer (beamer is in standby, HDMI is connected OR HDMI is not connected at all) I either can’t start any music playback or it is heavily distorted via S/PDIF (can’t use HDMI to my receiver). As soon as I start and connect the beamer, the music playback is fine. When I disconnect HDMI, music will stay fine until the Fire TV is rebooted. The same is true for movies, and it is not dependent on the app I use (It’s the same problem within the fire tv app and Kodi).

I’m using a first gen. Fire TV with Kodi (tried 15.2&16.0b5) connected to my receiver via S/PDIF and via HDMI to my beamer.

The sound output in the Fire TV is configured as Stereo via HDMI and DD via S/PDIF (tried all other settings).

It might be a problem with the HDMI handshake, or lack thereof.

Might this problem go away with FireOS 5? Would a HDMI Splitter help, as it might simulate an active device on the HDMI port?

8. I_am_rushin says:

Hi Elias,

New viewer/listener here. Last week was my first episode and I like what you’re doing.

Last week you had someone ask if the Xiaomi gamepad works with the Fire TV. I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I have a Fire TV stick running Fire OS 3 and the controller works perfectly. I can only assume it would be the same for Fire TV 1st and 2nd gen.

P.S. It’s a bluetooth controller, but I accomplished pairing it by sideloading a settings apk from stock Android 4.2.

9. Steve Kline says:

Many of us live in parts of the country where there is just one, maybe two choices, of an Internet Service Provider.
    Do you foresee that there will be more choices for us in the near future to find competitive rates for Broadband Internet Service?
    Other countries in the world have faster and cheaper service, South Korea, for instance. Why don’t we or why can’t we have the same?
    What can we do to change the present quagmire?

10. Tony says:

Hi I love the podcast, I noticed a couple of months back rumors of an Amazon prime app for Apple TV but nothing since, have any of your sources at Amazon mentioned anything? Do you think it can or will ever happen?

11. Freemz says:

My Fire TV & Fire TV Stick have Kodi on, since a couple of days ago the Kodi icon no longer shows on the home screen, Ikono now shows and still ipens Kodi, this have happend on many others belonging to friends too, is there any reason why it just disappeared?