Post your Questions & Topics for Tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast

I’ll be live streaming another episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 1:30pm PT, as I do every Friday. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the old or new Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. John Engels says:

Have you heard anything on possible release date for Fire OS 5 on the Fire TV Gen1?

2. kinseki says:

I blocked update on firetv 1 and 2. It worked before for the firetv 2 but the 5.0.3 by some way was able to update. Is there any IP address or domain or keyword that we need to add to the block list?
    The firetv 1 is still ok, amazon is not able to auto update on my firetv 1.

• kinseki says:

I blocked on my router. I also blocked on the fire tv 1. Because fire tv 2 has not been root. I am not able to block on the fire tv 2.

3. Michael says:

What happened to Mediahhh (TV)? Live media streaming from the UK.

4. Graeme Oxley says:

When will Alexa be avaliable in the uk for fire tv 2nd Gen.

5. Phil Nabozny says:

My Fire TV2 has only 4.21 GB of storage out of 5.61 total available after initial set up, with no other apps installed,is this normal. It seems very odd to lose 1.5 gig of storage for no apparent reason. Any ideas? I also second the question about Alexa in the UK.

6. Chrys says:

With unrooted FireTV 2 – Can I connect external USB Hard Drive (3TB) and can Kodi access media from it where media files can be as small as 5 mb (music) to 8gb (movie) each?

7. Alex Wong says:

Is Bluetooth audio coming to the Fire TV Stick in Fire OS 5 as suggested here:

Have you tried it out in the developer preview?

8. NateGG says:

Yup…Alexa for UK please.

Strange thing I noticed regarding the GPU/CPU.
    Antutu gave my FTV2 a score of around 50,000 @ 1080p and on my LG G3 it’s 39,000 @ 2K. Where as Dead Trigger 2 only allows medium settings, but on my LG I can max it out with now noticeable lag. Any ideas?

9. fassfa says:

Not a question, but I’m running a generation 1 on latest firmware and im seeing a advertisement to buy Hershey Halloween candy on the banner ad at the top. Click it and it’ll take you to a page to buy it or add it to your wish list. And so it begins….

10. zedrick says:

i have 3 fire tv stick with the original firmware that i bought last year. ive been saving them to root whenever that root comes out but do u know of any news about that being possible or should i just forget about it & just use them

11. Jim says:

Before I sideload kodi 15.2 on my ftv2 do I need to update to latest OS or doing it straight out of the box fine?

Also some people use different ways to install kodi 15.2 like using computer vs no computer will have the same results (it wont effect add-ons)?

12. The Hulk says:

I have a 1st gen fire tv and am having issues with the device frequently getting hot and displaying an orange led on the status led. I’m wondering if you maybe have an idea as to whether Amazon will replace the device with a new/refurbished one or whether they will repair it. If they do replace it, what would you say is the likeliness that they’ll replace it with their 2nd gen Fire TV. I’m hoping that they’ve run out of 1st-gen Fire TVs and instead give me their 2nd gen as a replacement.

Would be great if you can share your thoughts.

13. Reece says:

Is it possible to use the Xbox One controller or PS4 controller on the Amazon Fire TV instead of Amazon’s own controller?

14. The Hulk says:

I forgot to mention that I live in the UK if that makes a difference.

(Question about getting a replacement 2nd gen Fire TV under warranty)

15. Steve K says:

Does each and every Amazon Fire TV have its own unique IP Address?

On my computer I connect to the internet through a VPN. Do you recommend doing the same thing on my Fire TV?

If so, what is the easiest way to do so?

16. Dave says:

Looking for an update on Sling Player App. I purchased the AFTV 2 after confirming the the Sling Player App was available for the Fire TV only to find out later that the OS changes have caused the app to not work on the 2nd version and it has since been removed from the Amazon App Store.

• Dave says:

Got a quick update from Sling support. They told me they were going back and fourth with Amazon testing on their player app. I would imagine with all the other bugs, app testing / resolution has suffered due to the major OS problems like Dolby Digital and remote connection issues. My AFTV is working pretty well now with the latest bug fixes. Good to know it is a priority for Sling though. I hope they get it right as the Sling Player picture quality on the Roku 3 is total cost crap and unacceptable. Much better on PC or iPad.

17. Lodewijk (Lewis) says:

Hi Elias,

Cannot watch today. Will board the plane back from vaca soon but will catch the webcast tomorrow. Maybe its an idea to post the full webcast and editited one. I would love to watch back the full episode to hear everything. Can imagine others also want the full reply to their question. What do you think?

Cant wait for your apple tv feedback vs the AFTV. What is your expectation and can you try to compare streaming apps like netflix and HBO now? And you think airplay of amazon instant will still work?

Thanks and all the best,

18. Bill says:

FYI: I installed the latest AFTV2 update 5.0.3 and retested Kodi Passthrough to Dolby. This update did not fix the problem.

19. VicTOErE says:

How often should I expect app updates on AFTV2? Noticed someone asked about Sling App. I’ve noticed many of the apps to be very buggy (laggy) including the watchESPN, FoxSportsGo and NBC News on AFTV2 (5.0.3). Apps like Neflix, Hulu and Plex work great. Can you talk to how often devs update their apps?
    As a sysadmin I’ve noticed apps stream much better from my iOS devices to a Chromecast which is my current work around for laggy apps on AFTV2.

20. BBS says:

Roku 4 has the function to find the remote via Wifi-Direct. Not sure how it works exactly but I guess an easy way is to let the remote beep when it is being searched. Another way is via an app on cellphone by tracing wifi signals.

My question is: do you know if the 2nd gen of Amazon Fire tv remote has this “beeper” hardware built into the remote? If not, can Amazon invent a function in the fire tv app for us to find lost remotes?

21. Joe says:

Any word when the Watch TCM (Turner Classic Movies) app will appear on the Fire TV menu?

22. Guangyuan Yang says:

Hey, Elias,

Thanks for mentioning my twitter during the live stream:) I read your post about unbrick and it is really helpful. However, when I tried to flash CWM recovery through, I got this error message.

remote: flashing not allowed for locked hw

Not sure if it is because the bootloader is still locked. I did try to unlock it before it was bricked (Althoguh I didn’t check if it is successful or not).

I got an A-A usb cable and was able to get into the fastboot mode. What else can I do to save my Fire TV?

23. Joe says:

With all the bugs and some negative reviews, should I wait before I purchase a AFTV 2?

24. Loco says:

I have searched everywhere for a way to install PIA on my Fire tv to no avail. My FTV is obviously rooted since I use the custom roms. Is PIA going to be available anytime soon? Also, is it possible to modify the “custom roms” so PIA can be functional on the AFTV? Just curious. Thanks.

25. Vulcan195 says:

I ran some tests on on my AFTV2:

– While it may have fixed audio problems for those connecting via HDMI through a receiver … It DOES NOT fix the problem for those connecting directly to the TV and using TOSLINK to receiver. Essentially, latest AFTV2 firmware is not offering an option to down convert DD+ to DD (my Roku3 and AppleTV offers this option)

– Wireless connection still does not retain custom DNS entries. Works fine on wired.

26. adpine says:

Is there any way to incorporate music files on the sd card into the AFTV music library so that they can be located and played using the microphone search feature

27. Jana says:

Las tablets Samsung son las mejores Desde esta Web podreis haceros con cualquiera de los nuevos
    modelos de Tablet

28. Samy koka says:

Ok , got aftv2 with firmware 5.0.31 , a day or two it catches OTA update and then out of the sudden restarted just to find it stucked at white Amazon logo and stayed there, with the front led light goes on and of . Know from the xda forum that it is stucked in preload mode … Tried a lot of different things including flashing system.orig.img nothing works … Is there any way to restore my device???