Plex releases official Kodi Add-on

plex-kodi-add-on-interface
Plex is the most popular media center app in the official Fire TV appstore and Kodi is the most popular one not in the appstore. Both have unique features, so many people use both apps. If you’re among those people, you’ll be intrigued to hear that Plex has just release an official Kodi add-on that provides access to Plex from within Kodi. Since the add-on uses Kodi’s media player, Plex says it “enables powerfully advanced knob twisting and lever sliding to fine tune playback.” There were always ways to combine Plex and Kodi, and MrMC even added built-in Plex support a few months back, but it’s always nice to have official support from Plex themselves. The new Plex add-on is currently only available to Plex Pass subscribers, but it will be available to everyone soon.

1. AJ says:

How technical does one need to be to get this up and running?

• Mark Murphy says:

Depends on your device, you need to download a zip file which is the Plex Add On. Remember where you downloaded it too. Goto settings in Kodi and go to Addons/Install from Zip File and point it at the directory where you downloaded the zip file. It is easier to navigate your directories on a pc than an Android device. But it’s as simply as that..

2. Edgar R. says:

Wish I had a plex pass. I would love this for my tv shows. Possibly movies if it does passthrough since the official app for firetv doesn’t do passthrough of DTS. Kodi then would only be used for addons.

3. Moe says:

I signed up for a Plex pass just for this, might cancel when it comes out of preview. And yes it does pass through DTS, but not Dolby digital plus.

4. Sky says:

How do I download plex on xbmcmart?

5. Limon says:

So my understanding is MrMC doesn’t allow plugins?

So users of MrMC are out of luck if they want ot use this?

• AFTVnews says:

Correct, but MrMC can natively connect to a Plex server. However, you will be using the MrMC interface and not the Plex interface you see above.

• Ujn Hunter says:

Any idea how we can get MrMC to add native support for other things? i.e. I really only use Kodi/SPMC to stream NHL.TV (from my paid subscription), but even though MrMC can load in my “repository” it won’t load the Video Add-on in that repository. I guess the other option would be trying to fix Kodi/SPMC to allow the “buffer size” to be changed like MrMC can do… my main issue is that my streams tend to lag/buffer constantly towards the end of games.