Nick Jr. app by Nickelodeon arrives on the Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Edition television

About a week after they released their Nick app, Nickelodeon has now released a Nick Jr. app for all Amazon Fire TVs, Fire TV Sticks, and Fire TV Edition televisions. This new Nick Jr. app is tailored for kids under 6 years old, while the Nick app is for older kids. As you’d expect, the two apps are very similar in their design and features, so take a look at my overview of the Nick app to get a feel for both apps. To access all of the content in either app you’ll need to activate the apps with a subscription television provider, but both apps do have a decent assortment of free ad-supported content that does not require activation to view. The free content does include full-length episodes of most of the shows available through these apps.

1. TechyChris says:

I’m going to test this app out to see if I have the same problem activating with my cable provider like I do with NICK.
    NICK is still the only app (of the many I have) that I cannot activate for whatever reason. I have yet to receive any plausible explanation from them…

• TechyChris says:

***UPDATE 8/17/17***
      Same activation problem as NICK app, as I mentioned previously these are the only 2 apps that do not appear in my FTV1 app settings menu and the only 2 that won’t activate. Most likely do to update blocking. Curiously though, I have installed a couple new apps after the NICK’s and they DO appear in app settings and they DO activate without issue…must be the specific way NICK is set up.

• AFTVnews says:

Interesting. You can try blocking updates with only method 5 of my guide. This would allow any pending system app updates to go through. One of the system app updates might fix the issue.

• TechyChris says:

Thanks for the advice Elias, but method 5 requires root. I’m not rooted, thought about it (a lot) but decided it wasn’t for me. I am blocked with methods 2 and 3. I think method 3 may be the culprit, I had contacted my ISP last year and told them exactly what I wanted to do (they new it involved Amazon) and surprisingly their tech support was more than happy to guide me through all the steps setting up my router with proper firewalling, etc. In fact they seemed really into it as they followed up with further info a few days later as I recall! I knew eventually things would start going a little wonky, its ok.

• Roku_FireTV says:

Were you ever able to activate Nick Jr on the Fire TV. I am having the same problem as yours. For whatever reason, I am not able to activate the Nick Jr app in Fire TV.

Note: I am blocking updates using OpenDNS(Method 4)

• Roku_FireTV says:

Elias, Are you aware of any issues with Activating Nick Jr App from FireTV….I also tried removing the Update block (Method 4) from DNS but still i am not able to activate Nick Jr…All other Apps seem to work fine.Appreciate your help on this.

2. Mike says:

What is the point of update blocking. I installed NICKJR and it worked awesome. Nice to have all the shows since directtv now doesn’t have a DVR

3. JFish says:

Super lame that you can’t have the app if you don’t have a tv provider. We just have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. But even then there aren’t many Nickjr shows you don’t have to buy the full season of. Disappointed.

4. Jonni says:

We have Amazon Prime, Netflix & Hulu with our Amazon Fire. The Nick Jr app loaded up, but no episode of any show will play for more than 5 minutes. Very disappointing for the grandkids.