Nick by Nickelodeon app arrives on the Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Edition television

Nickelodeon has just released their Nick app for all Fire TVs, Fire TV Sticks, and Fire TV Edition televisions. The app gives you access to Nickelodeon’s large assortment of children’s shows and cartoons. Like most apps from cable networks, the Nick app requires you to activate the app through a television provider to unlock access to all of the app’s content, but the app does provide some free ad-supported content which does include full episodes.

The app is fairly straight forward and simple. There are no menus or additional screens other than a single home screen that scrolls vertically through sections and each section scrolls horizontally through available content. At the very top is a list of featured content.

Scrolling down from the featured content is a list of all the shows that have content available in the app. The list seems fairly extensive. It currently has just over 40 different shows listed. The shows don’t seem to be in any particular order that would make finding a specific show easy. The app does not have any search or favoriting function, so you’re just going to have to scroll through the list of shows every time if you’re looking for a particular show.

Selecting a show takes you to a page with all the content available for that particular show. Content is either categorized as an episode or a video. Episodes that require the app to be activated to view are marked with an open lock icon. Episodes that are available to view without activation have no lock icon. Videos are short clips of extra content that seem to all be free to watch and less than 5 minutes each.

Scrolling down past shows on the home screen takes you to a horizontally scrolling list of what appear to be the latest episodes and videos across all shows. At the bottom of the app is a settings button that pulls up a side menu with the option to login or logout with a television service provider, as well as some privacy and support information.

1. > The shows don’t seem to be in any particular order that would make finding a specific show easy.

This probably isn’t accidental. There’s a chance it’s just because it’s the first version, but the cynic in me believes that it’s to use their popular shows to help push the unknown shows. (I don’t have any idea if this app has already been available on other platforms.)

2. TechyChris says:

I’ve already contacted Nickelodeon, unable to log in through the app on my FTV1, app works fine, free videos play ok, but when i click on the login, screen goes black, have to exit out, same for both FTV1’s

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks for the heads up.

• Gerard Pinzone says:

Is your Fire TV rooted?

• Gerard Pinzone says:

Just to clarify: you don’t log in through the app. You get a code and have to log in through your web browser. I had problems activating with the code in the browser. I had to log into my Verizon account first, then go to http://www.nick.com/activate and since it was already logged in, it activated successfully.

I got it to work on mine. I have Verizon FIOS.

• TechyChris says:

I will use the correct term next time, which is “activate” i have 2 Dozen apps all activated through my content provider, without any issues. Nick will not allow me past activation screen. No, i’m not rooted, for me i see zero advantage to it. Helpful hint, I actually keep a burner smartphone next to my FTV , with all activation websites saved for quick reference as they often disconnect, also to use as back up remote,I’ve been streaming many,many years…

• Gerard Pinzone says:

I think your problem may not be the app itself, but how the http://www.nick.com/activate website communicates with your cable company.

• TechyChris says:

***UPDATE*** 8/7/17 Still unable to activate NICK with my provider. Got the standard help desk response from NICK, Clear cache/data, Uninstall-Reinstall yada-yada-yada, tried 3 times, none of that works. To clarify, when I click on the “sign on with TV provider” within the app nothing happens, black screen. Normally an activation code appears.
            I give up. In the interest of full disclosure (maybe to help others?) , I am NOT rooted BUT I do have updates blocked at version 5.0.5, according to NICK the app only requires Android 4.4 so it should work. One thing I have noticed when I went into the official system FTV app settings menu NICK is not showing up at all (all other apps are there) I have another method that allows me access to app settings which did allow me to clear cache/data etc. I am assuming there is some connection. NICK is the latest app I installed and the ONLY one with problems.

3. Jim says:

I hope they do a Nick Jr one, my son loves Paw Patrol

4. Tony Ramirez says:

There is still no live streams. Really Disney and the other services can do live streams.

5. Bumbo Diddy says:

The app store really needs a feature to block apps from appearing, ever, and to send statistics about how many people block the app to its publisher so we can get out of this streaming device as adjunct to cable subscription nonsense. If it’s good product, I want to pay for it and only it.

Youtube, show me Comcast having a bake sale.

6. Katrina R says:

I’m only disappointed that there’s no Live TV option.