New Kodi website causing issues with ES File Explorer sideloading — Easy Fix

Kodi just launched a completely redesigned website last night that is making things difficult for those trying to sideload Kodi onto an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick using ES File Explorer. The new modern Kodi site is making it difficult to download the Kodi APK using ES File Explorer’s rudimentary web browsing capabilities. Nate from the Kodi team asked me to look into the issue and post a solution if I find one, so here’s an explanation of what’s happening, as well as a very simple workaround.

Before getting into things, it’s worth mentioning right of the bat that you can select the Kodi download link with my Downloader app just fine on Kodi’s new website, and it’s by far an easier way to navigate a website and download an APK on the Fire TV than ES File Explorer. The navigation menu on the Kodi site is still an issue, but just select the Android link lower on the home page to get to the download page and you’ll be installing Kodi in seconds.

If you’re adamant in still using ES File Explorer, the issue lies with the app’s inability to recognize some links on the new Kodi site as valid links. There is a slight issue with Kodi’s navigation menu, but the real issue comes when you try to select the Android link on Kodi’s download page. ES File Explorer simply will not highlight the link for you to select it.

The workaround is simple. Just as you would if you were using my Downloader app, ignore the navigation menu on Kodi’s site completely and scroll down to the “Android” link in the “Kodi runs on just about anything” section of the home page. Selecting that will take you to the download page.

On the Kodi download page, scroll down past the “Choose your weapon” section, where you normally would select Android but currently cannot. Select the “here” link in the “Older Releases” section of the download page.

Even though this area is meant to be a place to access older versions of Kodi, you can also download the latest version from here. So just select “android” then “arm” and pick the latest version of Kodi to download the APK.

1. John Smith says:

The link to older versions is not being highlighted either.

2. Donna D Newman says:

Thank you, but it’s not working, Amazon has definitely blocked everything, any other recommendations.

• Amazon has nothing to do with this.

It’s only an issue between the es file explorer web browser and the Kodi website.

This article already includes a better solution than es ever was to begin with.

• virgogirl63 says:

Hi. Same here I have an old firestick. keeps telling me to Purchase where it says get to open Es or Download.. Did you find any solution. Do we really have to keep buying these gadgets for upgrades?

• Larry Bernandez says:

It says purchase but you’re not purchasing it. You’re just adding it. It don’t charge you regardless of what it says. This website will make it easier then trying to find kodi to add it.
        From there you should get what you need to get kodi

• Randy says:

All you have to do just in case some haven’t found a solution is keep pressing the button until the dialogue box pops up like before. Before they updated i had to press on arm after i high lighted it like 20 times or so.

3. Y314K says:

And this is why I still install AppStarter on every AFTV(S) device I use/help with. Even without the HOME button option. It makes managing Kodi & SPMC a breeze.

4. Pete says:

The downloader app is by far the easiest and quickest method, hands down.

5. bombo says:

One question friends, I have the fire tv one with OS 5.2.1.2 and I could not find a way to put kodi on my input screen, is there any way?

6. Gdroid666 says:

I could never get ES to work right ever even before this
    They even made the phone version almost totally unuseable now too with ads lock screen ads etc.
    And nobody wants to use krypton either
    So many once great apps are just turning to crap with each successive update these days

7. William Howell says:

I just downloaded your app and when I input http://kodi.tv and press download nothing happens, it just keeps working. Why is it that improvements seem to screw things.

8. Mike E. says:

I just loaded the new upgrade and it certainly took some tweeking.Ihave a fire tv box and after all was said and done I got at least what I use loaded and configured.The new app lloading tool in Indigo does.nt seem to configure the addons properly like the old installer did.I had to go back and load repositories and such just to get the add ons to work. Kodi 16.1 seemed to load and configure better.And I changed the skin back to what it was before. Its what I know and to try and figure out why the add ons arent running AND learn to navigate was more than my tiny brain could handle.

9. Keith Roberts says:

Worked a treat thanks.

10. Brooklyn says:

I figured it out. I had restore my FS back to factory settings then download Downloader and install 17.1.

11. X says:

THANK YOU , es file is being deleted RIGHT now!

12. Hoppingturtle says:

The instructions do work. However, you will NOT see the download window right away. Click on the file, wait about 1-2 minutes and then click the “back” button. You should now see the download screen.

13. Jon says:

In ES Prompt for HTTP.. enter

14. Jay says:

You can also get kodi 16.1 zip and apk from this source

Pulse Sky Q build doesn’t work with Krypton 17.1, so stick with Kodi Jarvis 16.1 if you want to use that.

15. J. Chandler says:

Given the VERY specific questions and screen shots you’ve provided, it worked perfectly for me. MANY thanks!

16. Doug says:

When I click on the download from the home screen after entering the url all it does is pop up a window saying connecting but never loads, any suggestions?

• Max says:

I’m having same problem. I’ve tried different URL’s with no luck. They must be having problems with the new site

17. julia says:

took a minute to really understand . the pictures on this page are really blurry. but this did work. i had reset my firestick thinking i did something wrong.

18. Matt says:

While using fire stick I go to download Es file explorer, once I click on the app the screen goes black and nothing happens, any help?

19. Koko says:

Thank you so much for posting this. Someone I know wanted to charge me to reinstall Kodi. I have done it for free with the help of this post. Again, thank you so very much.

20. Nightowl says:

Thanks so much for posting this info!

21. Shane says:

After banging head on wall I switched to downloader instead of ES explorer. Cones up with a red round pointer to select android and it cones up no problem for downloading with new firestick.

22. will says:

im having trouble viewing shows on kodi. i recently installed kodi on my pc.it is windows 8. but was successfully installed. i cant get any “Video” While Streaming shows . JUst “Audio” that works . Can Someone help??…..Also it is difficult to navigate using a mouse on their website..i try to go “BackWards” after im under my favorites and selected tv show.once im trying to exit my show to go back to my favorites under primewire.. it goes strait back to the home page and not my favorites in primewire..when i hit primewire it skips the menu where movies tv shows and favorites are and goes strait to my last viewed tv show………all in all how can i navigate with a mouse so i can use kodi smoothly forwards and backwards?

23. Brian says:

Just bought new firestick tried downloading Kodi didn’t work any ideas

24. Anonymous says:

If you are having issues, save the following as your bookmark in ES File:

http:\\kodi.tv\download\852

This should work!

25. Delilah says:

I got to the part where I was able to click download in the downloaded app. But when I click download it buffers to a percentage and then it says CONNECTION FAILED. Can some one help me.

26. s7eve says:

what you using to download it with brian? es/downloader or another one? have you turned on the”allow installation from unknown sources etc and apk debugging and alike?

also anyone no if fireDL is till operational? i was using this last time i did mine…

very quick and easy to use..

delilah have you done the stuff in security settings too if its a new stick?

27. Lynne Parfitt says:

Hi I had Merlin running on my firestick all fine until Monday then it kept saying unable to connect need kodi 17..so downloaded Kodi 17 no problem all fine …Merlin is diff format but all apps are there .. Watched one film …thought great sorted …But no after one film nothing streaming at all ..not exodus pheonix .none of the apps …any suggestions ? Thanks

28. Rachel B says:

I am trying to use the ES file explorer to download Spins tv, even with creating new accounts, it keeps saying “your account has been suspended. Any ideas how to fix this?

29. Terry says:

has anyone had an issue where it wont let you click install when putting it on your android phone? if so how did you fix it

30. Sini says:

Trying to install with downloader and it just says connecting never connects. If I put an incorrect link it let’s me know so I know it is out to the web.

31. Ray Perrotta says:

I have Jarvis 16.1 was told to upgrade to krypton 17.3 when I donloaded it it took me to to the new version but 20 after I get on it takes me back to the home page. When I Re launch it it does the same thing. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

32. Ajay says:

I have kodi loaded on my firestick already but it won’t allow me to add on the following web address……..
    It keeps telling me that I’m not connected to the server when I am. Idk what to do from there. Any suggestions?

• Ella Williams says:

When you find out please post it I’m having the same problem it keeps telling me I’m not connected to the server

• s7eve says:

its no longer working they shut it/poss moved ;) youtube will tell you more… theres new repo’s and urls to use now for a lot of the bigger ones..

• Ajay says:

Do you know of any other file manager addresses so that I can down load Exodus? That is the only program that I primarily use.

33. Rose says:

I was almost don with my download. I get the my fusion name download and it want go any further. Can someone help>

34. Ajay says:

I got another Firestick last night for a friend of mine and tried to program it. I got Kodi on the Firestick but it would not allow me to add fusion or ares onto it. It kept telling me that it would not connect to the network. Any one have any suggestions? I’m stuck and feel like banging my head on the darn wall. So frustrated……….

35. Mark says:

I just used the downloader to get kodi working, but I jave now closed Kodi and it does not appear on my firestick home page. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

36. Tania Dausey says:

My firestick won’t let me change skins. I get to the skin page push the get more button and it takes me right back to the skin page instead of giving me different skin options. Plz help

37. Ron says:

Thank you so much , I was having a hard time trying to update kodi.

38. AJ says:

I cannot download kodi though downloader, ES file manager or fireDL on my Fire TV Box. I have tried about 15 different links on each of the 3 downloading apps but have had no luck. I had it on there originally then it wasn’t working. I did a factory reset of the Fire TV box and now my device will not connect to any kodi website or any site that allows me to download kodi onto the FireTV Box. I have followed the exact directions listed on this site multiple times to verify I have done everything correctly but I have had no luck. Before I throw it out my window, someone please help me!