New Kodi website causing issues with ES File Explorer sideloading — Easy Fix

Kodi just launched a completely redesigned website last night that is making things difficult for those trying to sideload Kodi onto an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick using ES File Explorer. The new modern Kodi site is making it difficult to download the Kodi APK using ES File Explorer’s rudimentary web browsing capabilities. Nate from the Kodi team asked me to look into the issue and post a solution if I find one, so here’s an explanation of what’s happening, as well as a very simple workaround.

Before getting into things, it’s worth mentioning right of the bat that you can select the Kodi download link with my Downloader app just fine on Kodi’s new website, and it’s by far an easier way to navigate a website and download an APK on the Fire TV than ES File Explorer. The navigation menu on the Kodi site is still an issue, but just select the Android link lower on the home page to get to the download page and you’ll be installing Kodi in seconds.

If you’re adamant in still using ES File Explorer, the issue lies with the app’s inability to recognize some links on the new Kodi site as valid links. There is a slight issue with Kodi’s navigation menu, but the real issue comes when you try to select the Android link on Kodi’s download page. ES File Explorer simply will not highlight the link for you to select it.

The workaround is simple. Just as you would if you were using my Downloader app, ignore the navigation menu on Kodi’s site completely and scroll down to the “Android” link in the “Kodi runs on just about anything” section of the home page. Selecting that will take you to the download page.

On the Kodi download page, scroll down past the “Choose your weapon” section, where you normally would select Android but currently cannot. Select the “here” link in the “Older Releases” section of the download page.

Even though this area is meant to be a place to access older versions of Kodi, you can also download the latest version from here. So just select “android” then “arm” and pick the latest version of Kodi to download the APK.

1. John Smith says:

The link to older versions is not being highlighted either.

• AFTVnews says:

You just need to play around with the up, down, left, right buttons on the remote until the highlighter goes where you want.

You really should just use the Downloader app instead though.

• Max says:

After I selected android, I’m trying to click on the latest version of KODI but nothing is happening. I’m stuck here.
        Also, when using downloader app, after putting in URL ( I was trying to use troypoint ) it just keeps saying connecting but download never begins. I know my connection is good. Any suggestions?

• ChelChel says:

I am a complete newbie and had a hard time but it finally worked. I kept backing out and going to downloads and finally was able to install. The only instructions I found were with ES.

2. Donna D Newman says:

Thank you, but it’s not working, Amazon has definitely blocked everything, any other recommendations.

• Amazon has nothing to do with this.

It’s only an issue between the es file explorer web browser and the Kodi website.

This article already includes a better solution than es ever was to begin with.

• virgogirl63 says:

Hi. Same here I have an old firestick. keeps telling me to Purchase where it says get to open Es or Download.. Did you find any solution. Do we really have to keep buying these gadgets for upgrades?

• Larry Bernandez says:

It says purchase but you’re not purchasing it. You’re just adding it. It don’t charge you regardless of what it says. This website will make it easier then trying to find kodi to add it.
        From there you should get what you need to get kodi

• Randy says:

All you have to do just in case some haven’t found a solution is keep pressing the button until the dialogue box pops up like before. Before they updated i had to press on arm after i high lighted it like 20 times or so.

3. Y314K says:

And this is why I still install AppStarter on every AFTV(S) device I use/help with. Even without the HOME button option. It makes managing Kodi & SPMC a breeze.

4. Pete says:

The downloader app is by far the easiest and quickest method, hands down.

5. bombo says:

One question friends, I have the fire tv one with OS 5.2.1.2 and I could not find a way to put kodi on my input screen, is there any way?

6. Gdroid666 says:

I could never get ES to work right ever even before this
    They even made the phone version almost totally unuseable now too with ads lock screen ads etc.
    And nobody wants to use krypton either
    So many once great apps are just turning to crap with each successive update these days

7. William Howell says:

I just downloaded your app and when I input http://kodi.tv and press download nothing happens, it just keeps working. Why is it that improvements seem to screw things.

8. Mike E. says:

I just loaded the new upgrade and it certainly took some tweeking.Ihave a fire tv box and after all was said and done I got at least what I use loaded and configured.The new app lloading tool in Indigo does.nt seem to configure the addons properly like the old installer did.I had to go back and load repositories and such just to get the add ons to work. Kodi 16.1 seemed to load and configure better.And I changed the skin back to what it was before. Its what I know and to try and figure out why the add ons arent running AND learn to navigate was more than my tiny brain could handle.

9. Keith Roberts says:

Worked a treat thanks.

10. Brooklyn says:

I figured it out. I had restore my FS back to factory settings then download Downloader and install 17.1.

11. X says:

THANK YOU , es file is being deleted RIGHT now!

12. Hoppingturtle says:

The instructions do work. However, you will NOT see the download window right away. Click on the file, wait about 1-2 minutes and then click the “back” button. You should now see the download screen.

13. Jon says:

In ES Prompt for HTTP.. enter

14. Jay says:

You can also get kodi 16.1 zip and apk from this source

Pulse Sky Q build doesn’t work with Krypton 17.1, so stick with Kodi Jarvis 16.1 if you want to use that.

15. J. Chandler says:

Given the VERY specific questions and screen shots you’ve provided, it worked perfectly for me. MANY thanks!

16. Doug says:

When I click on the download from the home screen after entering the url all it does is pop up a window saying connecting but never loads, any suggestions?

• Max says:

I’m having same problem. I’ve tried different URL’s with no luck. They must be having problems with the new site

17. julia says:

took a minute to really understand . the pictures on this page are really blurry. but this did work. i had reset my firestick thinking i did something wrong.

18. Matt says:

While using fire stick I go to download Es file explorer, once I click on the app the screen goes black and nothing happens, any help?

19. Koko says:

Thank you so much for posting this. Someone I know wanted to charge me to reinstall Kodi. I have done it for free with the help of this post. Again, thank you so very much.

20. Nightowl says:

Thanks so much for posting this info!