New interface now rolling out to Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks in 5.2.4.0 update

ccn-fire-tv-new-ui-photoImage credit: Cord Cutters News

Thanks to Cord Cutters News, we now have confirmation that the new 5.2.4.0 software update, that was spotted yesterday morning, does infact include the new user interface. A reader sent Cord Cutters News the above image, as well as a shot of the software version screen.

The update is rolling out to Fire TV 2s and Fire TV Stick 2s first, and will come to older devices later. I’ll post more details about this new update and interface as it comes in. Be sure to comment below about any notable changes you find once you receive the update.

1. Pete says:

I sure hope they fix the screen calibration issue with the new sticks. Why Amazon took that off is baffling. Many older tv’s do not have the ability to calibrate screen and the kodi ends up beyond the edges!

• Vonda Z says:

I just got a new stick this week and when I set it up, it had me calibrate the edges of the screen, so I don’t think it has been removed from the old OS. If it was, they added it back.

• Bradley says:

I have the 2nd gen stick and on mine i cannot calibrate the screen either…..it tells you to do it via your TV over-scan features.
      Mine is fortunately almost ok, being slightly off screen with one of my over-scan / zoom settings on my daughter’s TV, but it aint 100% though….very annoying.

• Sublervious says:

Kodi has its own calibration settings, sounds like you’re looking for the calibration in the Fire TV Settings.

• Scotty says:

The second gen stick’s HW doesn’t support scaling.

• Ujn Hunter says:

Isn’t the Gen 2 Fire TV Stick HW supposed to be better? I mean, that’s the only reason I bought one… Kodi/SPMC/etc… allows it to scale. Amazon themselves have told people that it’s being re-added to the settings as well… if not, no reason to “upgrade” if it’s not an upgrade.

• derrick says:

i’ll add. got a fire tv stick last week for black friday. mine too asked me to calibrate the screen during setup.

• Pegaroo says:

Hasn’t Kodi got screen calibration in its settings menus.
      Maybe not exactly what you want to do but would at least get all of Kodi in your screen

2. Ichijoe says:

I wonder how long we’ll have to chill before someone can manage a prerooted install image?

3. Scott says:

Nice to see Kodi is still on the main screen.

4. Bradley says:

How do they roll out the updates ?
    are random people / area’s selected for the updates ?
    I have 2x Fire TV gen 2 1x Fire TV Stick gen 2 and the gen 1 stick.
    I dont see the new update offered as yet.
    Im in South Africa though :D

• AFTVnews says:

It’s a random list, but each device’s place in the list does not change with each update. Meaning, if a particular Fire TV updates first, it will always update first.

• Bradley says:

Thanks for the reply.
        As of this morning (2 December 2016) i still don’t have the upgrade offered. Will patiently wait my turn :)
        Cant wait to play with the new interface.

5. ML says:

Just setup a Firestick Gen 2 on Monday for a friend. I was presented with the screen telling me that I needed to do it via your TV over-scan features.

Maybe it can be done in Settings…I’ll have to look.

6. Rob says:

You can adjust the screen in the system settings in kodi app

7. boudyka says:

still blocking…at 5.0.5 happy to stay there. No doubt things will break soon :(

8. Ujn Hunter says:

OTG still working with the Fire TV Stick 2? Waiting for my OTG cable to show up so I can test my Stick w/ Ethernet cable. My original OTG Hubs didn’t work, my Fire TV Stick never powered on.

9. GREGORY A GEARY says:

This is cool, but Amazon really needs to fix their remote pairing issue! Mine losses connectivity every other day.

• Rob says:

That’s weird. I have a couple of Fire TV’s (1&2) and my remotes never lose connection. I know others have this issue but I’m not sure why it’s hit or miss. Oh well, consider myself lucky I guess.

10. Hovee says:

Should I unroot my firetv2 for this update? I’m not leveraging any benefits of root other than blocking the photos app. I use Arq for backup of my computers and for some reason the photos app would download those backed up encrypted files from cloud drive and eat up space on the fire tv. Very random. So I just blocked the photos app as my Firetv kept running out of space.

Long story short, excited to try out the new UI.

11. Christopher Loughrey says:

I hope Rbox will make a prerooted version of this

12. MarcoR says:

Is there a way to force updates manually? I’m stuck at 5.1 in my Fire TV 2, but when I force updates research from fire tv menu, it doesn’t find anything

13. derrick says:

fire tv remote app for ios disconnects every 10 seconds. i hope they fix that and update the ios app. it’s unusable now.

14. Thomas Smith says:

How do u no if i have 1st or 2nd gen stick n can sum1 sent me a step by step guide on how to install kripton in on jarvis 16 beast just my daughter set it up and i hae not got a clue and dont want to lose wats on altogether plz help me
    http://Www.tommyhasntgotaclue.com ha ha

15. Thomas says:

http://Www.tommyhasntgotaclue.com ha ha

16. Jimmy says:

Do you think its safe to update if im on 5.2.1.1 and am anticipating a root? Thanks!

17. Peter says:

on Thanksgiving I was bough 2 new fire TV stocks. Frozen screen remote control don’t working well.
    Returned back to Amazon.

18. AFTV LOVER says:

I’m trying to wait for update but man its bothering me LOL.