New HDHomeRun app released for Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

The folks at SiliconDust have released their new HDHomeRun app for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. The old “green” app dropped off the appstore a few months ago, so it’s good to finally see an app return. For those of you not familiar with HDHomeRun, it’s a line of networked tuners that allow you to watch over-the-air or cable television through any number of devices, including the Fire TV. You just connect a device like the HDHomeRun CONNECT to an HD antenna and your home network, then its channels become accessible through their various apps, which include a Kodi add-on and Plex channel. You can also use HDHomeRun’s software, which runs on most popular NAS devices, to record content like a DVR.

1. Blake says:

I’d love to use the HDHomeRun outside of my network. Since I moved, I want to leave one at my parents’ and stream the OTA signals. Still working on a solution for that. Maybe Emby would work.

• HeyRadar says:

Maybe you could so something like use PlayOn, or Plex. Where HDHomeRun saves the shows on your parents network, and then using PlayOn, you access your local media over the internet back to your parent’s home. Granted you’d be limited to your parents upload speed.

2. Tricia says:

Does not have my Firestick option on Amazon site. I ended up side loading it and it works fine on my Firesticks 2.

3. Michael says:

The HDHomerun app will only work on the Fire TV and not the stick right now.

4. Ray says:

I seem to recall hearing that the DVR functionality was limited in that it could not play a program until it had completely finished recording. Is that still the case?

5. mpg-master says:

Doesn’t work with MPEG2 tuners.

6. Rich says:

Anyone know where to download the APK from for a fireTV stick2? TIA

7. ced says:

I can’t get to to install onto my firetv stick, accordingly amazon support says appl not supported for the stick… where can I find a safe reliable apk version??