New Amazon Fire TV app launches Kodi automatically on boot

A new app for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick has been released called OnBootKodi. As the name suggests, the app does just one thing, which is to automatically launch Kodi as soon as the Fire TV finishes booting. The app can also be configured to launch Kodi once a certain amount of time has passed after the device boots, however I was unable to get that feature to work.

The app is very straightforward. I’m not sure what units the timeout is supposed to use, so I tried entering various values including 1, 1000, and 1000000, but the app just always launched Kodi immediately after my Fire TV finished booting no matter what I entered as a timeout.

OnBootKodi cannot be configured using the Fire TV remote, so you’ll need a mouse to change any of the settings. The “start Kodi on boot” option is enabled by default, so you really don’t need to configure anything if all you want is for Kodi to automatically launch as soon as your device boots.

To install the app you’ll need to sideload it onto your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. The easiest way to do that is to use my Downloader app from the Amazon appstore and enter http://bit.ly/onbootkodi into the URL field in the app. Be sure to launch OnBootKodi once, even if you don’t need to change any settings.

If you find the app useful, you can show your support by donating to the developer. Just be aware that Amazon has historically blacklisted apps that automatically take you away from the Fire TV interface. The two apps that have been blacklisted, FireStarter and FiredTV Launcher, were complete home screen replacement apps, so that’s a little different from OnBootKodi, but it still takes you away from Amazon’s interface, so I wouldn’t be surprised if OnBootKodi becomes the third app to be blacklisted.

Update

Apparently, the timeout option is supposed to start Kodi after the entered amount of time has passed once the Fire TV goes to sleep.

1. ChrisBC says:

Since there’s really no way to “shut down” the FireTV in the first place, I’m not real sure what benefit this app brings to it. I’d wager that most everyone (as I do) just leaves it on 24/7, so if you have to restart the FTV just to get it to boot up Kodi……

2. JJ says:

Has anyone tried, “Launch on Boot”? It’s an app that allows you to automatically launch any app at start-up, but also you to automatically launch any app when being waken from sleep.

3. Carol says:

I’m sure that kodi has a legitimate use but everything I’ve seen on it suggests that it’s used to steal And I don’t understand why someone would buy a device and then try and change it wouldn’t it be easier to buy a device that had the apps you want instead of side loading them

• Anthony Weener says:

Steal? When something is stolen the owner doesn’t have use or access to said item. Unauthorized viewing of content isn’t the, regardless of what people would have you think.

• Neogeo71 says:

this is the lamest excuse, but if it helps you sleep at night…

• Eric says:

Fellas! I don’t really see the big fuss here! I remember recording songs off the radio just so i wouldn’t have to go buy the whole cd, tape, or record. Or would record a movie on DVR so i wouldn’t have to go rent or buy the dvd or vhs. This is not the first time this has happened, and it won’t be the last! MOST OF THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE GIVEN FOR FREE! (especially to those of us that may not have the luxuries of those of you whom can afford the pleasures the world has to offer! We need to join together to fight the fights worth fighting like the bombings and shootings all over the WORLD! That’s just my thoughts. But, hey, what would a 41 year old who don’t know if he is going to be able to make it out of bed each morning know about what things are & are not worth fighting for!

• ChrisBC says:

Eric,

Things are different now. If you see a nice car that you can’t afford to buy, you don’t go & take it because you want it. That is called “stealing” You do get that , right?

• AFTVnews says:

But Chris, when I was a kid I used to take my cousin’s tricycle all the time and didn’t have to pay for that. Now my neighbors always leave their bikes sitting outside unlocked so I take them and get bikes for free. Of course it’s fine to steal a nice car if I know how to do it. “This is not the first time this has happened, and it won’t be the last! MOST OF THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE GIVEN FOR FREE!”

~Eric (portrayed by Elias)

• Adam says:

Carol, my legitimate use of SPMC (fork of Kodi made for Shield and FireTV) is as a media player for movies I’ve copied off blurays I’ve paid for, and placed on a drive on my network. This enables me to have my movies available for me and my family upstairs or downstairs without retrieving a disc, I can resume watching my movies from where I left them a week ago without inserting and searching a disc, (love you FBI warning!) and I can maintain seasons of multiple TV shows without having to juggle multi-disc sets each time I’m ready to watch one.

These are just a few “legitimate” functions off the top of my head of that I utilize Kodi/SPMC for. I specifically bought the FireTV because it would run Kodi, and there is not a single illegal plugin on it.

Now, don’t mistake what I’m saying here, Kodi CAN and IS being used for illegal purposes by a lot of people, but don’t assume that all the people using Kodi are stealing. Remember, it arose as a successful open source project long before people started creating illegal plugins to enable piracy.

4. Bazbo says:

Firestarter also does this and let’s you launch other apps too.

5. ADRIANA NOCELLA says:

Well i also have amazon prime so i dont want kodi to load up automatically i might wana watch something on prime

6. Neo says:

How do you use a mouse with the fire stick?

7. oppman29 says:

too bad it doesnt replace the home screen button.
    thats the only thing holding me back from updating to the next rom.

• Vin says:

If your FTV is rooted, you can install something like firestarter and just disable the default launcher using “pm disable com.amazon.tv.launcher”, then whenever you press home button some alternative launcher like firestarter is always launched. But this means of course you cannot access the Fire TV home screen or settings, you can always enable it whenever you need to access them.

8. JoeB says:

Unnecessary if you also use Prime

9. mikerosoft says:

On my ftv it says when i reboot that kodi is not found.

10. harris says:

This would be perfect but kids use prime a lot. Thanks for all the info!