MrMC v2.7 update released with Plex Cloud & Music support, and passthrough audio fix

mrmc-screenshot-home-header

The only Kodi fork in the official Amazon appstore, MrMC, has just pushed a new v2.7 update to their media center app. The biggest addition brought by this new version is support for Plex Cloud and Plex Music to the app’s built-in Plex integration. Also present is a fix for AC3 audio passthrough for older 1st-generation Fire TV devices and a new option to sort content by when it was last played. See the full list of additions and bug fixes on the app’s Amazon page.

1. David says:

What a useless app

• Grinder says:

Despite the idiotic name, right now the most reliable Android fork, but let down by the God-awful skins and that they didn’t bother to make it even slightly friendlier than Kodi. They haven’t even thought to customize the keyboard.xml to match the AFTV remote.

Lift your game, MrMC.

• Adam says:

Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t buy MrMC (but I did happily donate more than its cost to koying for his work on SPMC…) but I believe MrMC IS currently the only Kodi based app capable of refresh rate switching and 4k support on the FireTV.

I could be wrong on this, and if I am, please correct me. I know koying is working on this, and God only knows what’s going on with Android development in the Kodi project itself… So, if I’m not wrong, MrMC deserves credit for leading in this area.

2. tom42 says:

Runnng 2.6 and update not an option

3. Me says:

Love MrMC. Does what it’s designed for. Do wish they would update the skins though.

4. AFTVUser says:

Amazon-supported or not, given the nearly worthless utility of this app when compared to the multitude of freely available alternatives, why keep reporting about it until the headline reads something akin to, “MrMC app now supports sideloading?”

• AFTVnews says:

Not sure what you mean about “MrMC app now supports sideloading,” but as long as MrMC keeps being updated with interesting new features, I’ll keep occasionally writing about it. I know not everything I write about will appeal to everyone, but one man’s worthless news is not necessarily worthless to everyone.

5. Joe D says:

I use SPMC and decided to donate today – http://spmc.semperpax.com/.

That said I also purchased MrMC (well I had a free $10 to spend in the app store) figured best to keep development of both apps going if at all possible. My entertainment life revolves more around SPMC than Amazon truth be told. (Not the shady plugins either, virtually all local (to my network) content.)

6. Moe says:

So when you say this supports Plex does that mean native support without a plug? I can point it at my Plex server and get a Kodi like experience with the added functionality of Plex keeping track of all the syncing and meta data?

• Icythin says:

MrMC by far has the best Plex integration, for a Kodi style app. Kodi and SPMC addons have their flaws. PlexBMC does not allow sorting by recently added, PlexConnect uses a lot of space to create it’s own database. All that being said, MrMC is just another variant, with sizeable functionality removals, but if you use Plex, it gets the job done…

• Moe says:

Decided to give it a whirl, I very much like the ease of Plex setup and how quickly it grabs new videos added to the server.

One thing though it only shows the latest episode of a show rather then the next one unwatched.Is there an option to display TV shows this way?

• Bacon says:

Pretty much, yes. You still can’t use addons though like you can with regular Kodi/SPMC.

I Plex integration is pretty great, though there appears to be a slight audio delay/lip sync issue when I use it that I don’t see using a regular SMB share. Hopefully it gets sorted out eventually.

• AFTVnews says:

As others have said, yes. MrMC doesn’t support plugins, so all features are built into the core app. You can point it at a Plex server and it will pull all the images and metadata used within MrMC from the Plex server, instead of MrMC crawling all that data and storing it locally on the Fire TV/Stick.

7. smett says:

The Plex integration works very well and 24p is working fine too. Unfortunately it is 24p and not 23,976, so there is still some stuttering.

Better then the original Plex App and SMPC in my opinion and for my needs, of course.

• AFTVnews says:

Are you sure about it being 24p instead of 23.976? MrMC’s developers told me that even though it says 24p in the UI, it’s actually 23.976. My TV doesn’t give me that much detail about the framerate so I was never able to test it.

• xnamkcor says:

A monitor with DVI or HDMI might give you more detail. Monitors typically have a menu item that shows the display mode currently in use.

• smett says:

Yes, im sure. I have a Beamer and when i play those 23,976 files with the Nvidia Shield or my HTPC the Beamer shows up 23,976, if i play the same file with Fire TV and MrMc it shows up 24p.

• Adam says:

Well then I think that’s a clear indication the its NEW TV TIME!!!!!

“Sorry Honey, I don’t want to, but its for work…”

• Adam says:

“No, you stop being silly, this new 70 inch HDR 4k set is going to keep the roof above our heads. You want the bank to take the house? No? Then let me get back to my AVSForum reviews.”

We got your back on this Elias.

8. pawdog says:

I was quite skeptical at first but when they added the Plex client I had to give it a try, I’m so glad I did. MrMc quickly became my go to front end for my Plex backend on the Fire TV. It is Kodi in it’s basic form, a media player. Its like a less busy Plex app for me. I don’t do pirate addons and I miss less and less everyday not having choices of skins.I still want more though.

It does everything quicker than Kodi or SPMC. Interface is quicker, setup is quicker, playback startup is quicker. I would gladly pay again for a version to put on my Android TV boxes.