MrMC permanently lowers price to $2.99

Due to the success of their holiday sale and great community response, MrMC has decided to permanently lower the price of their app from $5.99 to $2.99 in the Amazon Appstore. MrMC is the forked version of Kodi that is available in the official Fire TV appstore. It is created and maintained by the two original Kodi developers that first ported Kodi to Android.

1. ChrisBC says:

If one could still use the official Kodi plugins ( skins, etc)I’d be on this like a cheap suit. Hobbling it to appease the Appstore gods is unfortunate.

• Groo says:

I agree, I installed MrMC and quickly uninstalled when I found out that it didn’t support any add ons…

• Bob says:

Not everybody considers it crippled. It does everything I need, and does it well. And it’s great to have it fully supported on the fire tv platform, and distributed via the official app store. There’s nothing unfortunate about it. You can continue to use Kodi as you please, so I don’t see any reason to say anything negative about this app.

• E. Stilianopoulos says:

No one said anything negative about it. But for someone who needs the addons it would be get to know this ahead of time.

2. Adam says:

With the Kodi team unable to retain, or even attract a single Android developer (gee, wonder why…), and Kodi consequently becoming increasingly creaky and breaky on Android, I’m extremely glad MrMC and SPMC are doing the work on the project that the Kodi team can’t.

More power to them both.

3. Joe D says:

While I’m glad to see the lower price the “great success” of their sale was directly related to overpricing the app to begin with. Even $4.99 (less than $5) is below a mental barrier that would have resulted in more sales than that extra dollar brought in.

As for features, when I got my first FireTV, soon after its initial release, I searched high and low for an app that would play media files stored on a network NAS. No more, no less. I spent money on apps that said they did, but didn’t. Some worked for one file type but not another. I was desperate. It was this desperate state that lead me to learn to sideload and find Kodi (and later SPMC) and it did everything I wanted it to do. Surely had I gotten into FireTV’s today I would have been content with MrMC. But once I saw what more I could do with SPMC, the add-ons, even the mostly legit ones, it is very hard to go back to just local/network file playback.

• pmcd says:

MrMC does more than just local file playback. It acts as a PleX client, iptv client, simple MySQL setup and they are working on extending it. Kodi’ AddOns have been a double edged sword to that platform. MrMC may in fact be the savior of what was a great media system.

On the MrMC they are very emphatic about Python based AddOns.

4. Ichijoe says:

If this is what you wanted why not just install a Plex Client then?
    I’d be more than willing to buy a Kodi Pro version. Or possibly support One of the few Builds that actually supposedly comes with higher ended Audio Decoding. But this?! You’d have to be high to support this.

• Adam says:

Uh, because you don’t want to have to have a Plex server up and running any time someone might want to watch a movie? This only requires a hard drive be plugged in somewhere.

Doesn’t seem that hard of a concept to grasp, high or not.

• Ichijoe says:

In that case just use Kodi durrr.

• Adam says:

Sigh, we’ve been through this. I suspect you’re just trolling. Its difficult to discern between a low information poster and troller.

In any event, Kodi doesn’t have an Android maintainer. Their old maintainer, Koying is doing SPMC. MrMC was one of the original Android maintainers, if not The original. He’s doing MrMC.

So, I suspect even you can see why ether of those two options are better for the Fire TV than Kodi.

But, perhaps I’ve overestimating you.

5. TechyChris says:

I have been using KODI/XBMC daily for 4 years. It has never once crashed on me. I see a lot of talk about it becoming increasingly unstable…I have had zero issues. In fairness to MRMC, they do clearly state on their website that addons are not and will never be supported. All you have to do is read. My understanding though is that MRMC “can” be used as an IPTV client pass-thru if needed. I do not own MRMC so I cannot confirm this.

6. Jason says:

Why is this continually advertised here? I generally love this site but this app is clearly a hobbled version of an open source project. It’s do nothing and dishonest.

7. Some One says:

That’s awesome! I’m glad that happened! I would have NEVER bought it before that sale. I had some extra “credit” lingering around. When the sale came I purchased. I’ve never used it because all my devices are rooted with SPMC installed but I like to throw support when I can!

8. Adam says:

Eh, of the Kodi based media players, it’s the only one that’s available for installation through the Fire TV’s app store, and it’s an easy way to contribute to someone that was originally responsible for Kodi even being on the Fire TV in the first place, and is one of the people actively contributing to the Android side of the project, whereas the Kodi team itself decidedely… isn’t.

So yeah, other than that, totally agree man, nothing noteworthy here. Good point by you.