Minecraft update drops Amazon Fire TV compatibility

The most popular game on the Fire TV, Minecraft, just released their big version 0.11 update, and in the process, dropped Fire TV support. This isn’t the first time this has happened. Nearly a year ago, when Minecraft updated to version 0.9, the game also became incompatible with the Fire TV. The drop was temporary and only lasted about a day, so it’s likely this latest loss of support is also temporary. It’s important to know that until compatibility is restored, you will not be able to install Minecraft on the Fire TV, even if you purchased the game in the past. Also worth noting is, in conjunction with the new update, the price of Minecraft has dropped from $6.99 to $5.99. This price drop is likely temporary, so if you’ve been considering purchasing the game, now would be a good time. If you purchase the game now, while it’s incompatible with the Fire TV, you will still be able to install it on your Fire TV later once compatibility is restored.

Update 6/6/2015

Minecraft has now returned to the Fire TV’s appstore.

1. Steve says:

I bet it comes back soon.

2. Steve says:

I noticed if you look at the more info section for Minecraft (on the Fire TV) it states the controller compatibility as none.
    Could this be the reason it’s no longer available?

Could it be anything to do with Mojang recently saying there were going to “raze the entire UI to the ground, so that we’ll be able to have proper controller support”?

3. Llyod says:

Wait, yesterday you posted this update:

That didn’t take long at all. Minecraft is once again compatible with the Fire TV”

Now you deleted that part of the article with NO EXPLAINATION???!

4. Aaron says:

Yesterday Minecraft still showed up on the Fire TV when you searched for it. It was also in the top lists. Today it is missing from the top lists and if you search for it the game does not show up. Is this what happened last time too?

5. Bill says:

I notice the updated game is available in the app store. For some reason it won’t let me update. I have updates set to automatic, but it still runs as 0.10.5 when I fire it up. I tried a manual update, but there is no option for it. I was thinking about deleting and downloading again, but don’t want to lose my worlds. Any ideas?

6. Dailon says:

I have it on fire TV still on 10.5 it’s not gone as I am playing it now and trying to figure out what happened
    Thanks this article told me a lot
    Hope it goes 11 soon

7. Anirudh says:

minecraft pe 13.1 is not compatible with my amazon fire

8. Charles Scott says:

Here it is June 23rd and Minecraft PE STILL will not install on my Fire TV (OS

I bought it, but it will not install. How do I get my money back? More importantly, what is Mojang doing about this?