Major changes to the AFTVnewscast format and schedule

I will be making significant changes to the AFTVnewscast moving forward. I go over it in detail during the first few minutes of the latest episode, but that episode will be the last one to follow the existing format, which consists of about 30 minutes of news, followed by 30 minutes of Q&A. The latest episode will also be the last one that is live streamed and the last one that is released on a weekly schedule.

The AFTVnewscast is changing from a weekly summary show, to a more bite-sized show, where each episode covers a specific topic. I will no longer be live streaming every Friday and releasing one episode a week. Instead of waiting until the end of each week to discuss all the news at once, whenever there is interesting news to discuss, I will record an episode about that specific topic and release it as soon as possible.

Many of you have told me that you often don’t have time to watch the entire AFTVnewscast and would rather pick and choose which topics to watch. By focusing on one topic per video, I think it’ll make things more convenient and easier to consume.

I’m also making this change because, in the near future, I will likely not be able to commit to a weekly scheduled release. My wife is pregnant with our second child (surprise!), which means I can’t expect to always have free (and quiet) recording time at a specific time and day, so I need the AFTVnewscast to be more flexible for the next few months. Popping away to create bite-sized videos when I can, without any schedule commitments, will be much more manageable for my family.

All content will still be released in video on my YouTube channel and in audio through my various podcast channels, so please subscribe if you don’t want to miss anything.

There will no longer be a Q&A session at the end of each episode, but I do want to keep Q&A alive. I’m going to look into creating a dedicated Q&A section of the site where you can submit questions and vote up the ones you most want me to answer. I’m not exactly sure how I’ll handle things yet, but I’m thinking I’ll either record individual answer videos or batch a bunch together into dedicated Q&A videos. More on that in the future once I figure out the best way to handle things.

Thank you for your patronage and support throughout the years. I hope this change isn’t too disappointing for those who are a fan of the current AFTVnewscast. In order to keep making videos, I do think this is the best decision. I’d love to hear any feedback you have.

1. jediRasta says:

Congratulations on the new one. Your still the BEST resource for all things Amazon fire/stick so hey,I’ll still roll with you.

2. Joe says:

Whoa…Is it April fools day :D…but seriously Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy!!!

The only thing I would suggest is that instead of a Q&A section where people vote on which question should be answered which I think is a little unfair on the questions from others that don’t get answered. So instead of a Q&A section, I think it would be much better to have a discussion forum where you are not solely responsible to answer the questions but the AFTV community can pitch in and answer questions. This will also take a little burden off your shoulders.

• Billy says:

Yeah some type of searchable forum within this site with topics would be awesome!

• AFTVnews says:

I definitely want to add a forum. I just don’t see it as a good replacement for a Q&A section because there won’t be any voting capabilities. These are all just ideas right now and I need to look into it more and think about it, so this isn’t something that’ll pop up on the site soon.

3. clocks says:

Sounds good to me. And congrats on the coming addition!

4. Adam says:

Haven’t caught the last few ‘casts, so didn’t know why you have been less regular with the last couple months of them, but definitely noticed it. Very happy to see what the reason is.

Congrats man, I’ve been where you are, and its awesome. :-)

5. Billy says:

Sounds good to me. Your family comes first.

I bet if you made an app and uploaded all your previous videocasts and future, that it would be very popluar.

6. Gareth Price says:

First of all congratulations Elias and good wishes to all your (soon to be expanded) family. Exhausting, but fun, times ahead for everyone! You say the future content will be in video on YouTube and audio as podcasts. Will the videos still be put up on the website? Or I guess just a link to each one as they are done? A forum, as Joe suggests, would be good, but maintaining such can be just as time consuming. What we have now, with being able to post or respond to questions to posts works well for now. You know that your work is, and always will be, appreciated in whatever format it appears.

• AFTVnews says:

I do want the videos to appear on the site, since I know many AFTVnewscast viewers just watch through the embedded video on my weekly post. I’m not sure yet how they will be posted. If I create a standalone video post for every video, things might get redundant because there would be a written post about a topic, followed a day or two later by a video post covering the same topic. One idea I have is adding the most recent video to the top of the sidebar, with a short playlist of the last 2-4 videos. The problem with that though is most visitors are on mobile, where the sidebar is all the way at the bottom of the page, so mobile users will probably miss all videos.

I’ll probably experiment with a few things. I do want the videos to appear on the site in some way for sure.

7. HeyNow says:

I think this is a GREAT idea!

Frankly I skip the first 90% or so of your podcasts because all you do is recap the articles of the week which I’m capable of reading on my own and don’t need things explained to me.

I watch your podcast only for the Q&A which is the best part.

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks for the feedback. So you’d like a Q&A only video a few times a month?

• Jon says:

That is what I would prefer, occasionally I watch a few topics in the videos, but I mostly only watch the videos for the Q&A. I also think as others have suggested a forum would be a great addition to the site.

Maybe you could use the forums as a way of creating the videos. Take the most popular topics in the forums and make videos detailing the question. For example if someone asked how to fix a problem, you could show in the video how to fix it. Like go through the details and step by step instructions, instead of just talking about it.

8. Alfredo Rodriguez says:

Congratulations and best wishes to your family,God Bless Always.

9. Josh says:

Congratulations on the having another little one.

10. Phil says:

Congrats on your news Elias

11. Graeme Oxley says:

Congratulations Elias and Family, this page is great thankyou for all the hard work

12. Steve Kline says:

Shall we assume that the website will remain as one of the best, if not the best, sources of information for all things having to do with the Fire TV?

Personally, I would feel at a tremendous loss if the website is not maintained at the same excellent standards as in the past…with all the latest news.

• AFTVnews says:

Yup, I have no intention to cut back on the amount of time I put into the site.

The main purpose of this change is to create flexibility. I don’t like saying something will be published on a certain day of the week and then missing that schedule, so I’m just making videos a free-floating thing that can come whenever, just like articles.

• Steve Kline says:

OK, thanks, that’s good to know…and congratulations on all the good things happening in your personal and professional life!

13. EJ95835 says:

Congratulations Elias and family.

14. Tony says:

Congrats on the new little one. Any aftv info we get from you has been a huge bonus and support to all of us over the years. I’m sure we can all adapt with the times. So I’m open to change.
    I sometimes listen to all the news but try to always look for important q&a that may be helpful in trying new things with the ftv or apps & connecting controls and rooting info etc.

15. Drumst1x says:

Congratulations, Elias! Great news! And thanks for always keeping us apprised of the latest AFTV news :)