How to update ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV

clockworkmod-custom-recovery-amazon-fire-tv-update-header

Now that an update to ClockworkMod Custom Recovery for the Fire TV has been released, I thought it’d be a good idea to write a guide for installing it. The update process is nearly identical to the installation procedure. The main difference is that it does not matter what software version your Fire TV is running, as long as you’re rooted and already have ClockworkMod installed.

Update

11/3/2014 As of ClockworkMod version 6.0.5.1.4, it is now necessary to first unlock the Fire TV bootloader before installing ClockworkMod. The below guide has been updated accordingly.

1. First off, realize this guide is for updating an already installed ClockworkMod recovery. There are some prerequisites for installing ClockworkMod recovery for the first time that are not covered in this guide. If you are installing ClockworkMod for the first time, follow this other guide. Also, you do not have to downgrade to update ClockworkMod.
  2. If you are updating to ClockworkMod version 6.0.5.1.4 or newer, you will need to follow my guide to unlock your bootloader. You only need to do this the first time you update ClockworkMod to 6.0.5.1.4 or newer. Not every time from now on. (Unless, of course, you’ve re-locked your bootloader via the lock command.)
  3. Download the ClockworkMod Custom Recovery image you want to upgrade to from AFTVnews.com/recovery
  4. Rename the downloaded file to: recovery.img
  5. Transfer the file to your Fire TV’s /sdcard directory by running this ADB command:
    adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
    (Note: This assumes the recovery.img file you renamed in the above step is in the same directory as ADB, otherwise enter the full path to the file like this:
    adb push C:\full\path\to\recovery.img /sdcard/
    clockworkmod-terminal-01
  6. Verify the integrity of the file you just transfered using this guide.
  7. Run the command: adb shell
    terminal-adb-shell
  8. Run the command: su
    (Note: If this is the first time you’ve ever run su, a pop-up will appear on the Fire TV and you need to select “Grant”)
    terminal-su
  9. Run the command:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

clockworkmod-terminal-02

10. Run the command: exit
    terminal-exit-root
  11. Run the command (yes, again): exit
    terminal-exit-shell
  12. ClockworkMod recovery should now be updated. As always, to reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, run the command adb reboot recovery
    clockworkmod-terminal-03

13. After the Fire TV reboots, you should be looking at this:
    rominstall-05a

1. Brad Haswell says:

adbFire tool does this for you with the release of v1.07

2. Ronald Smith says:

I have followed this guide to the letter twice and when I get to the reboot part I just get a white amazon logo. I have to unplug and replug in to get back to FireTV. One thing different, when I enter:

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

I get a return of:

d if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/

which is not what you get in your example picture above. So I don’t know what the extra return line is signifying.

Thanks

• AFTVnews says:

I would try deleting the recovery.img from /sdcard/ (use the command: rm -f /sdcard/recovery.img), then re-download the recovery file and try the whole process again. This time if it fails, come back here and post a screenshot of your entire command line screen.

3. Mike says:

Hi,

followed instructions and I get the white logo screen too. Tried 4 times now and always the same, I then have to unplug the AFTV and it returns me to the Amazon Home Screen.

The AFTV is connected via WIFI, would it be better via cable to router perhaps?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mike.

• AFTVnews says:

Switching from Wifi to Ethernet is worth a try.
      Other things to try:

• Running adb reboot recovery without anything plugged into the Fire TV’s USB port.
      • Follow this guide from start to finish again.
      • Lastly, assuming you are still on a rootable software version, try following this guide again but with the stock recovery (from AFTVnews.com/software). Then redo it with the ClockworkMod recovery again.

Let me know your results.

4. Mike says:

I think I see the problem on the 2nd “exit command I don’t get the message shown in number 8.

Mike.

5. Ronald Smith says:

Do we need to downgrade to 51.1.0.2 first?

6. Doctorpcusa says:

every other day I get a update screen and gives me a choice to install or deny the only way I can select any of the choices is by pluging in a keyboard. Is there a way I can have this stop asking for the update.

I tried updating to the latest CWM and i get the following from the command line
    cannot open for write permission. Any idea whats going on here?

7. Doctorpcusa says:

After doing a factory reset I would have thought that it would get rid of Clockwork mod it dosnt.

I think clock work mod is causing my fire tv to go into a upgrade mode and locks the system unless I have a keyboard attach to select to upgrade or deny which ever I select always failes.

how can I uninstall clockworkmod?

8. A Coward says:

> Update
    > 11/3/2014 As of ClockworkMod version 6.0.5.1.4, it is now
    > necessary to first unlike the Fire TV bootloader before
    > installing ClockworkMod. The below guide has been updated
    > accordingly.

I think you meant to say “unlock” and not “unlike”, correct?
    I got confused reading your instructions — I was wondering
    if this had something to do with Facebook. :-}

9. Dave says:

Great site, I have followed many guides successfully including this one. I am having some weird issues and want to reset to a clean state but keep root, keep CWM, keep OTA updates blocked but reset everything else.

My desire is to get to a known state and reclaim disk space and then reinstall Kodi and customize again. I can use ADB or the FireTV Utility App, or CWM, or any combination. So many options it has me confused.

10. hank says:

Everything loaded and at step 12, At the FTV do I Reboot system now or Install Zip? Thanks for all your help AFTVNews

11. Vladimir says:

Hi, I came home today and my AFTV is stuck on the AFTV logo. I haven’t done anything to it recently. I am wondering how to fix it. I have CWM-based Recovery v6.0.5.1.4a on it and can access the last ROM I installed. Should I run that or the restore from backup option? I never made an official back up to my knowledge it’s “1970-01-01.00.40.56/”. I just don’t know what I should do bc the boot kernal is obviously corrupted. Should I “image restore” or “install zip” the rom? or is there a 3rd option?