How to unroot a Fire TV and switch back to stock updates from Amazon

This guide will walk you through the steps of reverting a rooted Fire TV with custom ROMs installed into a stock Fire TV that can receive regular updates over-the-air from Amazon. It will show you how to remove the boot menu, remove ClockworkMod, remove Root, and install stock software.

This guide is for the 1st-gen Fire TV with Clockworkmod custom recovery installed. Do not follow this guide if you have TWRP on a Fire TV 1. To unroot the Fire TV 2, follow this guide.

Important: Once you complete this guide, you will not be able to root your Fire TV again. New Fire TVs are not rootable. A rooted Fire TV is more valuable than a non-rootable Fire TV because it is rare. You may want to consider selling your rooted Fire TV through eBay or Craigslist instead of unrooting.

This guide assumes your Fire TV has ClockworkMod and/or a custom ROM installed as outlined by my Rooting Starter Guide. If your Fire TV is just rooted without ClockworkMod and without a custom ROM, then to unroot, you just need to let it install a stock update.

1. Download the Fire TV stock recovery (version 51.1.0) from here (mirror).
  2. Rename the stock recovery you just downloaded to recovery.img
  3. Download the Fire TV stock software (version from here (mirror).
  4. Rename the stock software you just downloaded to
  5. It’s a good idea to have updates blocked via your router while following this guide. It’s not required, but it ensures an update doesn’t slip in at the wrong time before you’re done reverting everything.
  6. If your Fire TV is running pre-rooted ROM version or greater, then download and install pre-rooted ROM version updated.
    Your Fire TV MUST be on or older before proceeding.
  7. Boot to the Fire TV home screen and connect to it via ADB.
  8. Transfer the recovery.img file you downloaded in step 1 to your Fire TV’s /sdcard directory by running this command:
    adb push recovery.img /sdcard/(Be sure to replace recovery.img with the full path to the file on your computer.)
  9. Run the command: adb shell
  10. Run the command: su
  11. Run the command: pm enable
  12. Run the command: chmod 777 /cache
  13. Run the command: chmod 777 /cache/recovery
    Note: If you see a message saying “No such file or directory”, then run the following two commands:
    1. mkdir /cache/recovery
    2. chmod 777 /cache/recovery
  14. Run the command: cd /cache/recovery
  15. Run the command: echo --update_package=/cache/ > commandterminal-echo-command-file
  16. Run the command:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recoveryclockworkmod-terminal-02
  17. Run the command: rm -f /cache/*.bin
  18. Run the command: rm -f /cache/*.zip
  19. Run the command: exit
  20. Run the command (yes, again): exit
  21. Transfer the file you downloaded in step 3 to your Fire TVs /cache directory by running the command:
    adb push /cache/(Be sure to replace with the full path to the file on your computer.)
  22. Run the command adb reboot recovery
  23. Your Fire TV will reboot and install stock software version At this point your FIre TV is completely stock, unrooted, without clockworkmod, and without the boot menu. Your Fire TV will still be rootable and, if your bootloader was unlocked, it will still be unlocked. You can now remove the blocked update URLs from your router and let your Fire TV update over-the-air. Be aware that, once you let your Fire TV update, you will not be able to root it anymore and your bootloader will be permanently locked.

1. nozebleed says:

you forgot the last step –

punch yourself in the face

2. John says:

Thanks for this. I have 6 rooted. I did it early on because I wasn’t sure how committed Amazon was to the platform. Turns out they have added just about everything I need, no need to spend several hours updating boxes every few months. Unless nozebleed has some outstanding reason for keeping them rooted.

• Roger says:

I was thinking the same statement. I’m trying to think of a reason, to keep my two Amazon Fire TV rooted. We can use the external drive now and Kodi work on the box. I read the AFT is valuable rooted…other than that, I don’t see a reason to stay rooted. I feel we’re missing some great updates. Does anyone else see a reason to stay rooted???

• Christopher Loughrey says:

Rooted FTV allows custom launchers to replace ATV launcher and have a Ruku experience using Rbox’s custom tools. There is also the possibility someday that Amazon might block Kodi if there are complaints from the movie industry that its media boxes are complicit in copyright violations. Lots of reasons to remain rooted, plus they sell for more than a regular second hand Fire TV, especially when Amazon finally patches the exploit.

3. Bill says:

I have a rooted Fire TV and a 2nd gen stock. One of the main reasons to keep root is because I have a lot of movies on my external drive that are over 4 gb. My new Fire TV will not play them and probably never will.

• Bill says:

Reason number 2 is Google Play Store on root. Amazon nor Google will never allow that and hopefully soon somebody will make a custom rom for Android TV. I would like to see what the differences are between the two without buying the actual device. I like the results of google now which are much much better than Amazon Alexa I am not sure if Alexa will ever catch up.

4. Tom42 says:

Just sell it to someone for $100 bucks and then buy a gen two unit. That makes two people happy, one getting a rooted unit and you get a unrooted newer device

• Dan says:

Don’t buy FTV2. It’s a mess.

• Grinder says:

I’m really happy with my AFTV2, and loving the extra horsepower. There’s a teething period, mainly getting the wifi remote right, but I wouldn’t want to back to the first one now.

• Some One says:

Amen to that! I would never remove my root. Selling a rooted one would be way better than forever “stocking” it. Rooted FireTVs are becoming an oddity. I understand why people want to know how to do this though. There’s no way to update to FireOS 5 AND keep root. Shitty scenario because OS5 had Alex!

• Tomcat says:

Are you sure you didn’t install any server/services on your rooted device ?

Just a thought ;-)

• Anthony says:

Noone is going to buy a “rooted” unit /stick becaause it will VOID the manufacturer’s warranty

5. Archman says:

Do these commands re-lock the bootloader?

6. eric says:

i missed the Oct 9th live newscast and didn’t see an answer to my unroot question i posted to it. can you use supersu’s “fully unroot” tool to temporarily unroot the fire tv. and if that works, can you regain root by just installing a rbox preroot rom thru custom recovery?

7. AFTVNewsFan says:

Maybe I ain’t gitten’ it, but why would one want to unroot a gen1 AFTV?

• Dave69 says:

I guess to try the new OS. If I want to try it I’ll pick up a gen 2. I like my rooted gen 1 just fine the way it is.

• atoneapone says:

Yeah, over time I hope being on an older firmware doesn’t cause some of our apps to stop working on our rooted ftv1s running on the older firmware. (,hulu, etc). Otherwise we may have to go out & buy another device and/or sell the rooted device or do this unroot/update.

• eric says:

one top reason is because there are many video, cable, and sport apps which will not let you stream if you have a rooted box. Uverse, Btn2go, Fsn, etc.

• Keiry Gantus says:

I have a rooted 1st Gen box and we watch FSN every week.

• eric says:

Mine keeps circling and erroring. It works on my firetv stick. Along with all the other apps that seems to not like root. The stick stinks at streaming, too much lagging.
          Does BTN2go work on yours? mine restarts the app on both my rooted ftvs..

8. pmcd says:

Thank you for this. A couple of questions:

1- if one has su, busybox, and so on installed will this get rid up them?
    2- updates are blocked at the Fire TV level. Do you first have to unblock them and then apply the process or will the process just naturally unblock them?

9. Michael says:

Thank you!

10. William says:

I am trying to revert a rooted 2nd generation fire tv to stock. Unfortunately, the /cache partition only has a size of 242.1M, which is smaller than the stock firmware zip.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I tried pushing the to /sdcard/ and using
    “echo –update_package=/sdcard/ > command”, but without luck.

My next thought was to enable updates and wait until Amazon pushes the next one, but although using
    “pm enable” appears to work, I am still unable to check for updates from settings.

I noticed that my device has “/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/recovery” instead of “/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery”, so I am wondering if writing the recovery image to that file is preventing recovery from functioning at all. Any help would be very much appreciated.

11. lmsh says:

Does any one can tell me if there is an way to unroot or definitely there is not?

12. jr says:

I have a 1st gen fire tv, that was rooted.
    I was trying to remove the root and enable updates, so I removed all the installed apps (including su), and did a factory reset.
    Now I can’t follow this guide as I don’t have su access, and I can’t receive new software version since the ClockworkMod is installed.
    Is there a way to remove the CM whithout su ?

• atik says:

Hi jr,

We’re you able to resolve your issue? I have the same problem about losing the su and can’t remove the clockworkmod.

• Jake says:

I have this same problem too. I can not get playstation vue to work because I had to modify su to xsu and after a recent Vue update it does not work anymore. Can anyone help me out on this? I have and it seems this one is stuck in terms of upgrading and even unrooting from what I can tell since I can’t access su using adb commands.

13. Peter says:

I accidentally forgot to do step 6 (downgrading to pre-rooted from, and realized it after going through all the steps.

So after going through all the steps, I was on I rooted and installed the older stock recovery to try to downgrade to to try to flash clockword mod so that I can flash the rooted

However, when I tried to downgrade to, the install was not successful after rebooting to recovery.

Please advise. Thanks for the assistance.

14. Stephen says:

I unrooted mine because I want the latest update and don’t want to wait. I’ve had my FireTV rooted ever since I got it, but find that I don’t utilize any root features. Having the Play Store and Google Framework installed was the main reason I had for rooting, and those don’t even work any more (white screen).

At any rate, that’s my experience.

15. Zarfan Mooglash says:

Will following this guide will suffice for returning a device to Amazon for a replacement? (In case it was rooted + pre-rooted rom + recovery and Boot Menu)

16. snorkel says:

Thanks for the guide, unrooted all 3 of mine.
    Couldn’t wait for rbox any longer.

17. NK says:

After the last step, i am getting a message that says “The System Update was not successful. your Amazon Fire TV will restart in a few minutes and should resume normal operation.” The fire TV still shows (I had to downgrade to this per step 6 since i was running

i tried to start over and do it again and it gave same result.

Any suggestions?

18. ABCDDEsi says:

I followed the steps but in the end it gave me an error while trying to update –

Any ideas? Please help.

19. Taz says:

I still have the version The person that setup my Firetv is no longer in the states. What will happen, if I just do a factory reset with this version? My have the FireTV 1.

20. Brian says:

SO i have a Fire TV Ver1 with TWRP and 5.0.4_r1 installed. How do I unroot? The guide gives solutions for FTV1 with CLockwork and FTV2 with TWRP, but no instructions for my particular cause.

• Brian says:

Sorry, meant i have Bueller r1 installed.

• Louis Slattery says:

Are you sure you are not rooted? If you flashed a rooted rom you should be rooted. Well, if you can access twrp then maybe get the latest flashable (Thats ZIP) and flash that in twrp.
        I couldn’t do the 5.0 upgrade, IIRC I restored my 51.x backup and then flashed the rooted 5.2 firmware.

21. swap says:

how to revert to stock if I have TWRP on a Fire TV 1 ? I’m currently running bueller-, Youtube doesnt work anymore for me so I’m thinking of reverting to Stock.

All guides are either AFTV 1 + CWM or AFTV 2 + TWRP.

Tried AFTV2 guide but 5.0.4r2 doesn’t install on AFTV 1

22. Andy Kirk says:

YouTube isn’t working for me either.