This guide will walk you through the steps of installing (a.k.a. sideloading) a 3rd-party app, like Kodi or SPMC, onto an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. This guide uses my own app, called Downloader, which is available for free from the Amazon Appstore. You do not need a computer, an external drive, a keyboard, ADB, or anything else to follow this guide. All you need is your Fire TV remote and about a minute of your time. This is currently the quickest way to sideload apps on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, and is easier than using ES File Explorer.
- Be sure you have “Apps from Unknown Sources” turned ON under Settings > System > Developer Options
- Install Downloader from Amazon’s Appstore onto your device. You can find it by simply searching for “Downloader” on your device.
- Launch Downloader and enter the URL of the APK file you want to install.
For Kodi v16.1, use the short URL: http://bit.ly/kodi161arm
For Kodi v17.0 RC3, use the short URL: http://bit.ly/kodi17rc3
For SPMC v16.5.5, use the short URL: http://bit.ly/spmc1655apk
- Select the “Download” button and wait for the APK file to download.
- Once the file finishes downloading, it will automatically ask to be installed. Press down a few times on your remote to select the “Install” button at the bottom right of the screen.
- When the APK file finishes installing, open it and you’re done.