How to sideload apps like Kodi or SPMC on the Amazon Fire TV & Stick using Downloader

downloader-screenshot-firetv-v1-0-1-3
This guide will walk you through the steps of installing (a.k.a. sideloading) a 3rd-party app, like Kodi or SPMC, onto an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. This guide uses my own app, called Downloader, which is available for free from the Amazon Appstore. You do not need a computer, an external drive, a keyboard, ADB, or anything else to follow this guide. All you need is your Fire TV remote and about a minute of your time. This is currently the quickest way to sideload apps on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, and is easier than using ES File Explorer.

Video Guide

Written Guide

1. Be sure you have “Apps from Unknown Sources” turned ON under Settings > System > Developer Options
    apps-from-unknown-sources
  2. Install Downloader from Amazon’s Appstore onto your device. You can find it by simply searching for “Downloader” on your device.
    downloader-app-store-v1-0-1-101
  3. Launch Downloader and enter the URL of the APK file you want to install.
    For Kodi v16.1, use the short URL: http://bit.ly/kodi161arm
    For SPMC v16.5.1, use the short URL: http://bit.ly/spmc1651arm
    downloader-screenshot-firetv-v1-0-1-2
  4. Select the “Download” button and wait for the APK file to download.
    downloader-screenshot-firetv-v1-0-1-3
  5. Once the file finishes downloading, it will automatically ask to be installed. Press down a few times on your remote to select the “Install” button at the bottom right of the screen.
    downloader-confirm-kodi-install
  6. When the APK file finishes installing, open it and you’re done.

1. Ricardo Arcila says:

Love the idea and would love to see it have a option of just downloading
    To a certain location like the root of internal storage.I use a app kodi back up a and restore and when i backup it creates a kodi.zip file in root of internal storage
    And i want to be able to have a link to it so i can share it with friends and family

2. DJ1 says:

Is there an option to delete the apk file after install ?

3. JEHart says:

Bravo, Thanks!
    The only way I can think of to improve on this genius toy is to start developing a library of short URLs.

4. Andy says:

Well done !! You guys rock !!

5. Guy Eugen Holmes says:

How do you know if an app will work on the fire tv? Will any android app work on the fire tv ? Would the XFINITY app for an android phone work on
    My fire tv ?

• Billy says:

The xfinity app works. You can buy the mouse toggle app to turn your remote into a mouse. Can get that app on play store or fire tv store. Also remember apps2fire app on play store can transfer apps super fast. Also cleanmaster app on fire tv can delete unwanted apk files automatically. Love the idea of the app. Definitely add a list of good apps that work. Also tell if they require mouse support.

• PLS27 says:

12/04/2016
        Where exactly did you download the XFinity TV App APK that works on your Fire TV. I tried several on my Fire TV 2 (2015) that just abort and do nothing when they are run. Could you email me the APK file that works for you.
        Thanks,
        Peter
        Peter.L.Schroeder@gmail.com

• AFTVnews says:

There’s no way to know ahead of time. You just have to install it and try it.

• Alfredo Rodriguez says:

Yes the xfinity Tv works on my fire tv so you can download it ok.

• PLS27 says:

12/04/2016
        Thanks,
        Peter
        Peter.L.Schroeder@gmail.com

6. sunrise495 says:

Wow…. Look at you! Way to go. Not only can you write great articles, but now you are writing code! Great helper app. Simple, clean, and I bet you it will become very popular…. and it’s free! Keep up the great work!

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks! Actually, writing code came first, then the articles. ;-) I was a front-end developer for 7 years before starting AFTVnews. However, this is my first attempt at Android development.

7. Ken Kuehnl says:

I have Kodi loaded onto my tablet, will this app work with my tablet?

8. Mark says:

Congratulations!

9. Robert says:

I really like this. Thank you for the simple design. Using a sideloaded browser, I just copied and pasted the sample Kodi URL into Downloader. Very easy. Just curious, although I know how to resize sideloaded app icons to the necessary resolution to look better in the Recent menu, is there a possibility that this function could be built into Downloader?

10. W lsurie says:

Can you download stb emulator like this? Do you know the link?

11. Billy says:

Definitely need to add some layer of security to this. Unfortunately this kind of utility could compromise the device.

12. Mike says:

Will the app come to uk?
    Thanks mike

13. Paul says:

How would I find the URL for say kodi 17 nightly build?

14. Joe Blanco says:

I guess Amazon is ALL in now for side-loading apps. Finally, Amazon realizes that it’s because of Kodi, Modro and other apps, it’s product sells so well.

15. greg says:

someone can help me with Express Vpn app?
    I installed the app on Firetv 2 but when i open the app the screen is outsize and i cannot use nothing cause all firetv apps are outsized.
    What happen on my firetv?

Thanks a lot

16. Damien says:

Where is your post about creating an app. Your post says you put it on you tube but i cant find it. I wanna make an app

17. Steve says:

This is really nice! I hadn’t loaded Kodi onto my wife’s home office tv’s 1st gen stick because she mainly did Netflix, Prime, etc. But she asked the other day so I literally just did a full Kodi plus the Kodi for Emby addon (we use Emby for all our local stuff) and it took me maybe 5 minutes to get it all loaded. That vs. a process that would take maybe 5x as long.

This thing is just a very nice, easy to use, handy little app. Many thanks, going right now back to Amazon to give it 5 stars!!!!

18. Joe says:

Thank you so much!! This is really appreciated.

19. Oscar says:

Hi Elias, Great job on all the Amazon Updates of how to’s and sales and everything else.
    Aside from that….on you Downloader App. I have a quick question maybe you or another person reading this can help me with…. I download an APK but I keep getting ”Parse Error”. Any idea what I’m doing wrong or what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance!

20. pwntrik says:

Does anything like this exist in the Google Play store? An app that can download an apk file and request to install it? Or could we ever see a Google Play version of this? Thanks

21. PLS27 says:

Does anyone have a URL for the latest Xfinity TV App to be used with Downloader to install it on a Fire TV?

22. Jim says:

Does anyone knows if kodi can be installed using downloader to the fire 7″ tablet that was selling for ~$33?