How to set custom Sleep or Screensaver times on the Amazon Fire TV or Stick without root

While the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick allow you to select from never, 5, 10, or 15 minutes for the screensaver timer, there is nowhere in the device’s settings to change the sleep timer. That’s set to 20 minutes regardless of how the screensaver is configured. Even though it’s not in the interface, it’s actually possible to set a custom sleep timer, a custom screensaver timer, or disable them altogether. This guide will show you how.

I’ve written guides about these topics in the past, but new methods have been discovered that do not require rooting the device. Thanks to mattgyver83, ftvlover, chiefs1975, and Y314K for their research and findings on this subject.

The numeric values you use in this guide are in milliseconds. The default sleep value is 1200000, which is 20 minutes. The default screensaver value is 300000, which is 5 minutes. If you select “never” from the Fire TV’s screensaver settings, the screensaver timer gets set to 2147460000, which is about 24 days. Setting a value of 0 does not disable the screensaver but it does seem to work to disable the sleep timer, however it may be better to just use a very large value like Amazon does to disable the screensaver.

The sleep timer starts counting immediately after the device goes idle, not from when the screensaver starts. So setting a 5 minute screensaver timer and a 10 minute sleep timer will result in the device going to sleep 5 minutes after the screensaver starts.

Guide

1. Connect to your Fire TV device via ADB. If you don’t know how to do that, follow this guide.
  2. To set a custom sleep timer run the command:
    adb shell settings put secure sleep_timeout 123456789

To set a custom screensaver timer run the command:
    adb shell settings put system screen_off_timeout 123456789

(Remember to change 123456789 to the value in milliseconds that you want to set. Use 0 and 2147460000 to disable the sleep and screensaver timer, respectively.)

3. [OPTIONAL] To see the current timer value, and verify the value you entered was correctly saved, run this command for the sleep timer:
    adb shell settings get secure sleep_timeout

And this command for the screensaver timer:
    adb shell settings get system screen_off_timeout

4. If you found this guide useful, please consider supporting AFTVnews on Patreon.

1. Max says:

The FireTV stick has a sleep timeout of 5 minutes (not 20), which drove me crazy. And this method does not work!!! But I found an app that lets you set the sleep timeout. It’s “AppStarter”.

• Y314K says:

What FW version are you on & are you rotted or not. If the AppStarter sleep timeout setting worked. Then one can probably find the code that it is using to change it on the FTVS1 thru the AppStarter GitHub. Just saying.

Also make sure you are not inputting the whole code at once.

In my case what works best for me is to first open the ADB Shell

ADB Shell

And then input the code

settings get secure sleep_timeout

The one above will let you view it, the one below will let you change it.
      Then just use the one above to confirm the change. (Change shown below to 20 minutes)

adb shell settings put secure sleep_timeout 1200000

Unless the FTVS1 names it’s settings apk different of is a missing a part like the missing screen calibration on one of the devices ROM. It just might be a bug. SO it might be fix in the future. But it you say it works on AppStarter then some code is definitely there. If you ever get bored. Take a snoop around the GitHub.

• Max says:

I’m running the latest version and not rooted. Changing the setting with adb never worked (I verified the setting change, but the sleep timeout remained 5 minutes no matter what). Then I found AppStarter, and it worked perfectly (showed the 5 minute timeout and let me change it to whatever).

And again, it was 5 minutes! Not 20! 20 would not have been so unbearable…

2. Y314K says:

Great AIO Guide Elias. Should make it easier for future AIO linking.

I thought the reason why the 2147460000 value was given for 24 days (actually 24 days & 20.52 hours) might be because of an actual maximum input barrier. But I was able to change things to 30 days aka 2592000000 milliseconds without any problems. Just saying. It is possible to put more days. It doesn’t really matter since 99.9999999…% of us will definitely, even accidentally, touch a button on the FTV’s remote within the 24 day period. Therefore restarting the timeout countdown.

• AFTVnews says:

That’s good to know, thanks. I did some searching to try and figure out why that value was chosen but came up empty. BTW, I did personally verify that this works on non-rooted devices, since I saw you asked about that on XDA.

• Y314K says:

Yeah, this is a great code find since it seems to be irrelevant of root or nonroot. Love it when there is no differentiation. Since all my devices are rooted. I usually have to request feedback regarding unrooted devices. I don’t visit my friends & family that I gifted nonrooted FTVS1’s to often to test things.

BTW, I was not able to duplicate & I have not had time to visit my friend that swears that after the latest update he can ScreenCast from the same phone I own on his FTVS1 (He couldn’t before the update). So back to square one on that front/feature.

3. getNo says:

worked for me

4. J2O says:

Command worked for me, Fire TV 2 FW: 5.2.4.1 – non-rooted obviously. Haven’t waited 20 mins to see if it worked yet though :)