How to set and use Alexa as the default voice assistant on an Android device

This guide will show you how to configure an Android device to use Alexa as the default voice assistant.

1. Open the main Android settings. This can be done by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping the tiny gear icon. Select the “Apps & notifications” option.
  2. Scroll down and tap “Advanced” and then tap the “Default apps” option.
  3. Tap the “Assist & voice input” option.
  4. Tap the “Assist app” option.
  5. Select the “Amazon Alexa” option and you’re done.
  6. To use Alexa, simply hold down the home button (circle button at the bottom-center) for a few seconds at anytime from anywhere.

1. Tampa8 says:

I don’t yet have the choice on any of my devices, however I’ll point out this would not be the way to change the speech engine on any of my Android devices. It’s in Language and Input and for some devices also can be accessed in the Accessibility section under Text To Speech.

2. Keith says:

Doesn’t seem to work on my OP5T.
    It lets me switch voice assistant to Alexa, but when you long press home it just says “The Google app isnt your default assist app”

3. Trolooo says:

Worked for me. Using a Mi A1, Android 8.0

Too bad that”always listening is turned off

4. Ivan Montoya says:

I love my fire hd 8, love the fire t.v. stick but I have no use for Alexa, Google assistant is so much better!! It is night & day difference. No comparison.

• Tampa8 says:

For the type of questions I ask on the fly on my Smartphone I agree I find Google Assistant better and how it integrates with Chrome. For home use from the times I have had to try Google, Alexa is much better. The advancement to this for me would be not needing to go into the Alexa app to do things I do with Alexa from my phone.

• Carter says:

I have both Alexa and Google Assistant on my Fire HD 8/10 tablets. I just speak to whichever one I want. And I’ve been able to use Google Assistant to make up for some of the Alexa shortcomings that they purposely built into the Fire tablets because they want you to spend a lot more money and buy an Echo Show or whatever… no thanks Amazon. I even programmed some funny routines where Alexa and Google Assistant get into pretty nasty fights with one another and start insulting each other, chasing each other around the house, flicking lights and appliances on and off at each other. It ends with Google Assistant calling Alexa a “nasty ho” and then she “Rick Rolls” her. Oh technology…