How to Root the Fire TV 1, 2, or Stick using KingRoot — No USB cable required

This guide will walk you through the steps of rooting the Amazon Fire TV 1, 2, or Fire TV Stick using the KingRoot utility. Unlike my previous Fire TV 2 rooting guide, this guide does not require an A-to-A USB cable.

If you’re new to rooting, be sure you’ve read my Rooting Starter’s Guide before following this guide. The starter’s guide will walk you through the process, in the correct order, to root your Fire TV, install custom recovery, and install the latest pre-rooted ROM.

This guide only works on software version 5.0.0 thru 5.0.5. It does not work on or newer software versions.

About KingRoot

This rooting guide uses the KingRoot utility to achieve root. The problem with KingRoot is that it makes unwanted changes to the Fire TV’s operating system and installs several unwanted apps. After rooting with KingRoot, it is highly recommended that you: install TWRP, flash rbox’s pre-rooted ROM, and then perform a factory reset. This will leave you with a 100% clean rooted Fire TV without any of the KingRoot junk. All of the steps you need to follow, from start to finish, are laid out in my Rooting Starter’s Guide. Note that TWRP and ROMs for the Fire TV Stick have not yet been released, but they are in the works.

1. Download the KingRoot version 4.1 APK from here (mirror).
  2. Sideload the APK you just downloaded to your Fire TV or Fire Tv Stick.
  3. Launch KingRoot on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
  4. Press down on your remote and select the “TRY TO ROOT” button.
  5. Wait for KingRoot to root your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
  6. When KingRoot is done, you do not need to press the “PURIFY” button.
  7. Your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick is now rooted. Fire TV 1 owners should now follow this guide to install TWRP, while Fire TV 2 owners should follow this guide to install TWRP.

1. playingmax says:

would rooting this way add the 3rd party apps?

• AFTVnews says:

Yes, it will add the extra KingRoot junk, if that’s what you’re referring to. But if you then install TWRP and a pre-rooted ROM and then do a factory reset, you will be left with a clean rooted Fire TV 2 without any junk. It’s all laid out at

• Playingmax says:

Yes that’s what I was referring to. Thanks!!!

• ACE BOOGIE says:

seems like the usb cable method is easier and better is it not?

• Mark says:

I don’t think so. Now you don’t have to waste money buying a cable specifically for this purpose.

Using the KingRoot method the only additional step you need to perform is a factory reset after you install your pre rooted ROM with TWRP. You get the same end result.

KingRoot took less than a minute to root. Using the USB cable took about 5-10 minutes.

• Alejandro says:

This work in aftv 1 to have a clean ROM? (With USB cable)

2. boudyka says:

yah…been holding off rooting ftv2…is that safe ? Nasties or no Nasties ?

3. Rockchild says:

When I press down button which I assume a bottom of the circular botton, nothing happens. How can I select “Try to Root” button? I believe I don’t need mouse.

4. Mark says:

Someone should make a King Twerp program that does it all.

5. Darren says:

I get network error but i am connected to internet

• dpstorm says:

Try disconnecting your wired network and connect to a wireless access point. It seems KingRoot 4.1 requires WiFi or cellular…

I had this issue and was successful after disconnecting wired and connecting to WiFi.

6. windroiduser says:

Hi. make video tutorials is beter

7. Vintendo says:

make sure to get this version from this link as the other one does NOT work by Pressing down on the Firetv (stick)

8. Mark says:

Step 8. Install TWRP custom recovery and a pre rooted ROM.

9. Cisco says:

I have my AFTV 2 rooted can some suggest where to find some good ROMs to load? Looked but haven’t found anything worth it Thx.

10. Mark says:

Anyone getting “Connection to ui timed out” when trying to su?

I’ve got custom recovery installed and the pre rooted rom installed. Just can’t block OTA updates.

• Mark says:

Once I finished this process I couldn’t SU at all. Lots of issues in adbFire and using the ADB and Fastboot on google code. With a plethora of errors including root not available in production builds.

Solution? Put Kingroot back on and start all over.

I was then able to SU in and disable OTA.

Geeze, I’m starting to get used to having to do everything twice when it comes to the Fire TV. Well at least it worked!

11. Mark says:

Okay I wrote a Mac version of this guide and added all the other little tutorials you need to complete the KingRoot in one big giant guide. This is an awesome way to root since you don’t need the cable. Here’s the link and I hope it helps someone because I documented all the issues I had and the fixes:

Thanks Elias for taking one for the team on this untested program. Installing TWRP and a prerooted ROM and then factory resetting is the secret to getting rid of KingRoot once rooted. I’m really loving my Fire TV now!

12. Joe says:

Still no love from Rbox for FireTV 1?

13. Raul says:

When attempting to launch kingroot, it states network error – unable to get root from cloud.
    Device is connected via Ethernet and functioning. Any ideas why I am receiving this message?

14. gareth says:

this is no longer working on 5.0.5. keeps failing around 30%

anyone with the network error needs to connect to wifi

15. Jim says:

I download this folder from your link:
    As shown with the big yellow arrow! But after opening the folder I see KingMaster.apk but after typing in command prompt in windows ” adb install then success came up but when I tried to look for kingroot PURIFY APP showed up instead! Where is kingroot apk?

16. CT says:

I followed the above steps and used version April 8, 2016 – from

I am getting the “Connection to ui timed out” when trying to su. I tried to re-do kingroot but I believe it will fail as version is a no go. I tried to restart the superuser app thinking that might help but no luck.

Any ideas

17. u4fifa says:

Today looks great .

18. xnamkcor says:

Well. I did it. And ES File Explorer didn’t disagree with me that it’s rooted. So, not what? I can’t think of much to do. I’m keeping the Fire OS for now.

19. Markus says:

Do i have to root the firetv 2 everytime i disonnect the device from the power supply?