How to resolve issues with the new DirecTV Now app on Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

DirecTV Now just released a new app for the Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Edition televisions. This is their reason for dropping support for 1st-generation Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks, which they later tried to rectify by offering $75 in account credit. Some people are having issues with the new app where, in some cases, it isn’t launching at all. Here are some things to try to make the new DirecTV Now app work on Fire TV devices.

Uninstall the Beta app

Prior to releasing this updated app, DirecTV Now allowed some customers to preview the app in the form of a beta. If you have the beta app installed, uninstall it by going to the Fire TV Settings area and selecting Applications > Manage Installed Applications > DirecTV Now Beta > Uninstall. While you’re there, you should also force quit stop the non-beta version of the DirecTV Now app by backing out one level, selecting the DirecTV Now app from the list of apps and then selecting the Force Stop option.

Restart

It’s always a good idea to restart the Fire TV if you’re experiencing any issues. To do so, go to the Fire TV’s Settings, select Device, and select Restart, which is the second to last option. Careful not to select “Reset to Factory Defaults,” which is the option just below the Restart option, because that will remove all of your apps and settings. Resetting to factory defaults should be your last resort when all other solutions have been tried.

Clear Data, Clear Cache, Force Stop

If you’re having trouble with any app, not just the DirecTV Now app, it’s always a good idea to reset the app by doing the following. Go to the Fire TV Settings area, select Applications, select Manage Installed Applications, and then select the troublesome app, which in this case is DirecTV Now. Then select Clear Data, Clear Data again to confirm, Clear Cache, and finally select Force Stop.

Uninstall and Reinstall

If you’re having trouble with an app, it’s best to ensure you have the newest version of the app. The easiest way to do this is to simply uninstall the app and then reinstall it, since you’ll always be installing the latest version when you reinstall it, regardless of which version you previously had installed. To uninstall the DirecTV Now app, go to the Fire TV Settings area, select Applications, select Manage Installed Applications, select DirecTV Now, select Uninstall, and then select Uninstall again to confirm. Once the app is uninstalled, simply reinstall it by searching for the app or finding it under the Fire TV’s App section.

1. JFC says:

Consistent with your advice above, one of the things DTVN emailed their customers about was that anyone who already had the BETA app on their Fire device needed to go in and totally wipe away any traces of the BETA app, BEFORE trying to install the new version of the sort-of non-beta app (I call it that because they’re still calling the DVR feature beta).

Again consistent with your advice, the beta and newer app cannot co-exist well on the same device.

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks for the verification. I didn’t know that DirecTV officially said the two apps can’t coexist.

• JFC says:

I got two separate emails from DTVN re their new apps for Fire TV and Android, one for being involved in their beta program, and another just as a regular subscriber.

The regular user email said:
        If you’re a BETA user, please delete the BETA App before proceeding. You will not be able to access our new app while the BETA app is still installed.

The beta tester email said:
        Amazon Fire TV/Fire TV Stick

1. Uninstall the Beta app by selecting Setting>Applications> Manage Installed Application from the Fire TV/Stick Menu

2. Select the DIRECTV NOW Beta app

3. Choose the Uninstall Option, following the on-screen instructions

4. Once the Beta is uninstalled, you will then be able to update and launch the new DIRECTV NOW app.

5. Go to Home, and find the DIRECTV NOW app and click the Option button

6. Pressing the bottom of the navigation ring to scroll down to More Info, press the OK (center of the navigation ring)

7. Select Update

8. Once the app is updated you will be able to access the New DIRECTV NOW App

Needless to say, I understand that following the above kind of directions appears to not be working for some folks. I’m just posting what DTVN handed out.

2. Kurt Schultz says:

Uninstall and can service is the only thing that will fix that crappy app.

3. Junior says:

Uninstalling the BETA app first is the key

4. Fred says:

Dvr doesn’t work half the shows now say not part of my package and can’t record. Shows that do record, record record reruns when set to new only. Cancelled and went back to Vue

5. Scooter says:

I updated 3 of my various FireTV devices. Now my local channels are wrong. Everything was fine before the update. I did online chat with DTVN support and they said they would fix the zip code issue so my correct locals would come back. So far its not working. I’m still able to watch correct locals on a Roku that has not been updated.

6. Floki says:

ok so this clearly doesn’t work. Does anyone have or know where I can get the apk from the previous version? Please?

7. sean tweedy says:

Even though the app shortcut is gone on our first Gen fire TV, we can launch it by going to settings, manage applications, select dtvn, and open from there

8. Tom Johan says:

I activated the DTVN service yesterday. Spent hours trying to get the updated DTVN app to load on a few of my Firetv boxes with no success. Did all the recommended updates / uninstall / re-install, contacted customer service and no success. I gave up, ran to Best Buy, purchased a new Firetv dongle, activated and to my surprise the new DTVN app works with the DVR service.

9. Victoria M Pennington says:

I successfully downloaded the updated version. I have 2nd gen firestick. I DO NOT lik the new format as far as visually. It is extremely hard for my 65yr old eyes to see the channels on left. It has gone straight to HOME page when i click on Guide MANY TIMES in just one day. Right now Sunday morn it is just FROZE. Wat is really aggravating is the LACK OF CONTACT to customer support. Chatting is ok, but…i would lik to talk to a human sometimes. Its ridiculous!!! I do appreciate the small description of the shows. Dont have beta so cannot comment on that yet. Why is AT&T giving us a half-ass app to pay for no less…that has so many problems??? I dont have cable option where i live or i would go to Spectrum.

10. Adriana Fortune says:

I’m having issues with on my firetv ever since DRECTVNOW switched out to this whole AT&T DVR thing. I have to delete data every single time and login in order for app to open. It’s annoying.

• Victoria M Pennington says:

I can 1st say that i feel AT&T is doing all they can to keep firestick users going. Especially the Kodi app. That being said…the last 3 days my DTV Now app keeps going to the RETRY page. And i mean at the rate of every 5-10 minutes. At times goes right back to home page. When i click back on to DTV it ALWAYS goes to the channel i was watching before. Im getting very aggravated with this technology. Again..no support to give help. Not sure it is worth the money ..more problems now then before. Not cool.

11. Mark C says:

Glad I found this thread. I just purchased DTVN & FireTV. Tried & tried to install the app w/o success. Was able to login and just got a blue screen. Chatted with DTVN who said “I can resolve the problem for you.” Yeah, Right! First it was unplug FireTV wait 30 secs and plug in. Nope! Next was to uninstall, reinstall the app. Same results “blue screen.”

How long has this been going on and any idea on when the issue will be resolved! Thanks!

• Victoria M Pennington says:

I just spent an hour and 15min trying to get help. I am soooooo mad. I have done EVERYTHING too and now it just ( after a half a minute) went back to OPEN…so that means sign in again etc…i am so done with AT&T ripping us off with this. I just paid my bill on the 23rd and cannot get any help at all. Let me know if you do. They lie and take our money. It was good before update. This has been going on for 5 days now…cant even watch a show all the way thru. Every 3-5mins it cuts out somewhere. We all need to find something to do about this crap. Right???

12. Ann Goff says:

My DTVN was working just fine with my Fire stick until 3 days ago. Now I constantly get the retry error, like every 2-3 minutes. I have taken every step everyone has suggested: uninstall/reinstall, restart Firestick, etc etc. nothing works. I have the next generation Firestick, so not sure WTH is going on. I’m going to cancel my DTVN. It’s just not worth the frustration.

• Victoria says:

Ann, I “chatted” with them just yesterday and told them I wanted to cancel. I have 2 tv’s and the 2nd one is suppose to run simultaneously from the 1st. So they offered me back half my recent payment. Received today plus tax. Then half off for 2mths. I took that deal. Also stated i would get 24he tech work on my acct. Ok the 1st one works better..not perfect, but the 2nd one is still totally a mess. At least I got half my $ back. But even if it was free does not make trying to watch it even worth it right? Mine drops every 3-5 mins…goes back to launch..Then on & on. You know. What a mess they have created. I found a site called GEARS IPTV for $18.50 for 300 channels. Check that out. I’m over this deal app!!!

13. Steven says:

Anyone else getting a message saying “Not quite ready yet. We’re happy you want to try our new app but it needs a few more tweaks before it’s ready for you. Please check back later.” They don’t even have a working application to use for a service that uses only an application! So frustrated.

• Victoria says:

Seriously??? That’s messed up. I have not seen that but did chat with them to cancel. Had just paid bill..auto debit..and they offered me 24he tech work on my acct. A refund of $17.50 for this mtg and same price for next 2mths. The channels that keep going out etc I have figured are not being offered with update. 2 so far..NBC and ID. It is totally messed up to throw out an app for already existing customers to continue paying for that has glitches. They are facing a storm of angry customers right now I guarantee. I’m searching for a new stream live tv app

• Mitch Boudreaux says:

Yes i have been getting that pop up for 2 weeks and still have nothing resolved,they will have advanced tech support contact me in the next 24 to 48 hours,

14. travis says:

Since moving to the new app on my Firesticks, I no longer have ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. I’ve chatted with them for 3 weeks now, they keep saying it’s a known issue. The Beta version for the Roku came out last night and I updated and guess what, all locals missing. Anyone have this issue with either device?

15. Marcus says:

Same error ,Not Quite ready yet LOL what a joke…

• Victoria says:

I have had Directv Now all for a year and when I got my 2nd tv in Jan. I was told it would stream simultaneously. Well I guess they decided they wanted anybody getting that option to now pay PER DEVICE. As of today it quit working on my 2nd tv without any notice and after my billed has already been paid for until the 23rd. Another reason to drop th em.

16. Sue says:

After installing new app, 25% of channels are missing. Tried chat but no suggestions worked and some are just a waste of time. I have an ok deal on my monthly plan now, but when that’s up I won’t be renewing.

17. Jessica Hodges says:

The new update to the DTVN app SUCKS! I had an old version of Firestick (bought in 2016) and after many emails from ATT encouraging me to purchase a new FireTV for $25 off, I did. It worked well for a week with DTVN and then all of a sudden a week ago, the app won’t even open. It will act like it’s going to launch and then it will sit on the gray screen and nothing else happens. I also can’t watch any of my downloaded 3rd party apps like Bravo, ABC or MTV because when I go to log into them, the app states that I don’t have that channel in my subscription package and to contact my subscriber. I do have those channels and these issues just started with this new app release. I chatted with someone who said it’s a known issue, that they don’t have an estimated timeline of when it will be fixed and proceeded to give me half off my bill for thand next two months. So I’m still paying $25 a month for a service that only works on my iPhone. Also I’d like to mention that I have a Roku 3 in my bedroom and the DTVN app and 3rd party apps don’t work on that device either.
    If anyone has experienced anything similar to this and has had luck rectifying, please let me know!!

• Victoria Pennington says:

When i first updated the new app ( have 2nd gen firestick) it was ok..couple days started dropping channels. After weeks of being aggravated it is working fine now. I was also offered half off for 2mths but i am cancelling anyways. Problem ever since i first started with the app is HIGH DATA USAGE!!! Until i started paying for unlimited data..then it dropped. So i cancelled unlimited which was $30 mth. There has to be some economical way to watch tv out there. Ive tried those antenna things..im not facing a tower hence they will not give you anything.