How to remove the Banner Ad on the Fire TV Home Screen

A few months ago, Amazon enabled a banner ad at the top of the Fire TV homescreen. The banner was added with the software update, but wasn’t activated until several months later. I personally don’t mind the banner, since it only advertises Fire TV related items, but if you have a rooted Fire TV and want it gone, then you’re in luck. Rbox just updated his Xposed module to remove the banner, in addition of all the other tweaks it adds. This guide will walk you through the simple steps of installing the module and removing the home screen banner ad.

1. If you don’t already have it installed, install the Xposed Framework using this guide. Note that your Fire TV needs to be rooted to install the Xposed Framework and to follow this guide.
  2. Download the latest version of “Fire TV Mods by rbox” from here.
  3. Sideload the APK file you just download the same way you would sideload an app.
  4. Launch Xposed Installer from the Fire TV’s Settings > Applications > Manage Applications menu.
  5. Select “Modules”.
  6. Using a mouse, check the box corresponding to RboxFireTvMods to enable it.
  7. Press the home button on your remote and restart your Fire TV by holding down the SELECT and PLAY buttons on your remote simultaneously for several seconds.
  8. When your Fire TV restarts, the banner ad at the top should be gone.
  9. Note that the Xposed module you just installed consists of several Fire TV mods. For starters, you’ll notice that a new settings option has appeared which allows you to hide any of the Fire TV’s menu items. To learn more about all the features of this mod, read the mod’s thread on XDA. While you’re there, hit rbox’s donate button on the left to show your appreciation for all the great work he does for the Fire TV community.

1. MK says:

It removed the ad, but lost the ability to sleep with home button. Did anyone else notice this?

• Bob says:

Bindings to the home button is another feature of this rbox mod:

AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.

RecentsOnMenuLong: Bring up the recents dialog when long pressing the home button.

2. MK says:

So …. no sleep option if you use this mod?

3. MK says:

Hopefully Rbox can make a mod to add that feature. It’s really convenient.

Great work by the way, Rbox!!!

4. Asadani says:

Great work rBox. I’m on the fence. I like the home and sleep but I also like the recents. Wish there were more buttons. :(

5. Zeke says:

Oh yeah the Fire TV homescreen does have a banner now doesn’t it? I so rarely use it because of the FiredTVLauncher and Helper apps which automatically runs SPMC at boot time, also the Favourites list in SPMC can jump straight to Android apps, it’s a great workaround for us on the non-rootable boxes. Thanks to all the homebrew developers!

6. pmcd says:

Does installing this have any negative effects on streaming or even mirroring? The ad thing is something I really don’t care for, not so much now but it is a slippery slope to more ads.

7. stevepwolf says:

will this work with the fire tv stick as well? or just the fire tv?

8. Sterling says:

Can’t install Rbox mods, adb install says “already installed”. I’ve already installed 1.3. Tried disabling 1.3 in Xposed Installer and restarting and then installing from adb again, but still get INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS.

Is there something else I should do to make 1.4 install?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

9. Christopher Loughrey says:

The hide menu items mod doesn’t work on the AFTV 2 on 5.0.5, I made Rbox aware of it and he’s planning on getting a new version out once he finishes the recovery for the first gen.

10. less cranky says:

Which hosts need I block to achieve this on firetv STICK while I wait for custom recovery options to allow XPosed Framework install for adblocking?

11. Dr.zapp says:

After following this guide, my AFTV4k screen looks the same- banner ad at the top, and can’t hide any of the side menus. Xposed shows I have RboxFireTvMods 1.4 active in modules… I am using the sloane prerooted ROM, no other modules installed. Why do I still see ads?