One of the beauties of the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick being Android based products, is they get to take advantage of the vast Android ecosystem of apps and accessories. One of those accessories that was just released is Flic, a small coin sized button that connects to an Android device and can be programmed to execute any number of actions. Each Flic button can be setup to carry out 3 actions: one when it’s clicked, one when it’s double clicked, and one when it’s held down. Flic works perfectly with the Fire TV and can make doing things like launching apps quick and easy.
The Flic app is not designed for the Fire TV, so you’ll need a mouse/touchpad to use it, but apart from that, it works surprisingly well with the Fire TV. You can download it from here and sideload it onto your device.
The simplest task for the Flic button is to launch an app. With the three types of presses, you can launch 3 different apps with one Flic button. This allows you to launch any app, even sideloaded ones like Kodi or FireStarter, from anywhere in the Fire TV interface. You could be playing a game, for example, and instantly switch to Kodi, FireStarter, Netflix, or any other app with the push of a button. Flic also integrates with IFTTT, Logitech Harmony remotes, Philips lights, and many other services to perform countless actions.
Here’s how to setup Flic to launch an app on the Fire TV:
- Sideload the Flic app on your Fire TV. You can download it from here.
- Launch the Flic app and sign up or sign in to your Flic account. You can change the app to landscape view within its settings if you’d like, but it’s unnecessary.
- On the app home screen, press the “+” button in the lower right to connect your Flic button.
- Press the Flic button once and wait for it to connect to your Fire TV.
- Once the Flic button is connected, click the icon on screen to begin programming it.
- Click the “+” symbol next to the function you want to program.
- Select “Launch Application” from the list of actions.
- Select the app you want to launch when the Flic button is pressed.
- That’s it. Pressing your Flic button will now launch the app you selected. You can now assign the other button functions if you’d like.