How to install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire TV

play-store-install-on-firetv-header

The Amazon Appstore is growing everyday, but if it’s offerings are not enough for you, here is how to install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire TV. Your Fire TV will have to be rooted to install the Google Play Store. You will also need a USB mouse for one of the steps. Once you have the Google Play Store installed, you will be able to download and install apps from the Play Store directly on your Amazon Fire TV. You will even have access to all of your past purchases from the Google Play Store.

First, setup the Xposed Framework…

1. Download the Xposed Framework APK (Source/Mirror)
  2. Sideload the Xposed Framework onto your Fire TV
  3. Launch “Xposed Installer” on the Fire TV from the Settings > Applications menu
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-130552
  4. Select “Framework”
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-131659
  5. Select “OK” to dismiss the popup
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-131910
  6. Select “Install/Update” to install the framework
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-132033
  7. Select “Grant” on the SupreSU popup
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-132104
  8. Select “OK” to reboot
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-132228

Second, setup the HDXPosed Module…

1. Download the HDXPosed module (Source/Mirror)
  2. Sideload the HDXPosed module onto your Fire TV
  3. After rebooting, launch “Xposed Installer”
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-130552
  4. Select “Modules”
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-132610
  5. With a USB moused plugged into the USB port on the back of the Fire TV, check the “HDXPosed” box in the upper right.
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-132923
  6. Exit to the Fire TV Home screen and reboot the Fire TV by holding both “Select” and “Play” on the Fire TV remote for several seconds
    fire-tv-reboot-with-remote

Third, setup the Google Play Store…

1. Download the four Google APKs from here or here
  2. Sideload all four APKs onto your Fire TV
  3. Launch Google Play Store from the Settings > Applications menu
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-135320
  4. Select “Existing” to add you Google Account
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-135427
  5. Enter your Google Account email and password
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-135442
  6. If you have Google’s 2-factor authentication enabled on your Google Account, you will be taken to a browser window where you will need to login again with your authentication code
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-135802
  7. Select “Next” on the Backup and restore option screen
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-135857
  8. Select “Accept” to accept Google’s terms of service
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-135912
  9. Enjoy the Google Play Store
    firetvscreenshot_20140621-140911
Update

Since the Google Play Store does not know the Fire TV’s capabilities, it marks most apps as incompatible. We’ve written a guide on how to trick the Google Play Store into thinking the Fire TV is a Nexus 7 tablet so that most apps in the Play Store can be installed on the Fire TV. You can find that guide here.

Sourceswolfchimneyrockrovo89CpasjusteAngel0fDeath

Posted in Article Tagged with: , ,
37 comments on “How to install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire TV
  1. Monica Gupta says:

This is just an awesome guide. Thank you so much for the guide. You are doing excellent job.

Thanks

2. Luis says:

Do I need to have all of them installed all the time? Or can I delete some after?

3. Trent says:

I have followed all the instructions outlined here, including making sure that all four Google Play apk’s are installed, but when I attempt to start the Play Store, the screen flashes and returns me to the Settings > Applications menu.

• Goodhur says:

@trent:
      I had the same issue. I fixed it by uninstalling the google play store in the applications menu. On my computer I changed the name by only removing the spaces. The reinstalled via ADB. It started no problem after that. Hope this works for you.

@FireTVnews:
      Great job please keep it up!!

4. Ryan says:

Play Store working but not showing paid apps, only free ones. What can be causing this?

5. z31fanatic says:

Thanks for the guide. It worked for me.
    One thing I don’t understand is that I search for the netflix app or amazon apps in the Play store but they aren’t available. Anyone know why?

• fireTVnews says:

The Google Play Store is hiding certain apps because it sees them as incompatible with the Fire TV. Once there is a solution to force the Google Play Store to display incompatible apps, I will update this tutorial.

6. DR says:

I’m experiencing the same problem, as described by @Trent and followed the instructions of @Goodhur and still not working, the screen flashes and returns me to the Settings > Applications menu.

Please advise.

7. Osc000 says:

Thank you So much for the guide work perfect .!!

I just wish one day they will come out with a boot loader unlock so I can removed amz os and install kitKat :-) .!!

8. tpabeav says:

I have followed the instructions several times to the details, but I still can not see Google Play in my Applications under Settings. I do see Xposed Installer. Am I missing something?

• fireTVnews says:

Try installing the APKs again, but this time use:
      adb install -r filename.apk

• tpabeav says:

thanks. i am using the FTV sideloader to install. how to do i use the switch with the sideloader (or do I need to do it manually)?

9. Gilad says:

Will this allow me to make in-app purchases?

• fireTVnews says:

Great question! I have yet to try it myself, but my guess is in-app purchases should work. Hopefully someone who has tried will chime in.

10. Chris says:

Hi, do you need a mouse for this or can you get Google Play by just using the remote? Thanks!

• fireTVnews says:

Yes, you need a mouse for step 5 in the second section (HDXPosed Module setup). There doesn’t seem to be any way to click the little checkbox without a mouse.

11. Chris says:

Google Play won’t work, it won’t launch. I am rooted and did all the steps but I can’t get Google to launch.

• fireTVnews says:

First try installing the 4 Google APKs again using:
      adb install -r filename.apk

If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling them and reinstalling them.

12. Ray says:

I am too having difficulties with the screen flashing Google Play Store after installing the Google APK files I’ve tried removing all spaces method, placing the “adb install -r FileName” method, resetting and trying again. I have even tried to the sql editor and allow non Google apks. Is there a sure way to do this or is my Fire TV unable?

13. JD says:

I’m unable to get llama – location profiles from google play store – it’s one of the perquisites for launching the fire tv into xbmc. It says my device isn’t compatible with this app, same goes for netflix, any ideas?

14. Richard Sohne says:

Thanks so much for a wonderfully helpful site!

15. dev says:

I’m not sure if the order of install makes a difference but I had luck going: Framework, account manager, services, store. Good luck!

16. DIzzo says:

Hi, I cannot seem to get past the Xposed framework install. How long should the install take? Mine has the circle spinning for 15 mins already.

17. Moe says:

When I try to side load the 4 apk with the fire tv side loader I keep getting an error that says to many files for apk and verifier files only. Any ideas on how to fix this or what I may be don’t wrong? Thanks

18. Chris says:

You don’t need them all, just Google services and the Play app. I just have these two and it works perfectly. But the Play store is VERY limited in the number of apps it has on the Fire TV. 1Mobile is WAY better.

19. GlammaGeek says:

Excellent. Thanks for this. Works perfectly. I too had the issue of the Play Store not launching, but took the spaces out of the apk names, then reinstalled and all is fine.

20. harrisonddo says:

Do you have a working link for HDXPosed (the link above doesn’t work)? I tried to find one but I’m a n00b on this kind of thing. Thanks.

21. i0ls says:

Ill second that dead link for the HDXPosed. I am looking around for another link but I just don’t want to sideload the wrong one and screw anything up. x2 on the n00bness

• fireTVnews says:

The HDXPosed link should be working. If it goes down again, you should be able to find it at the ‘Source’ link.

22. Yves says:

Thanks for the instructions… Much appreciated!!!