How to install sideloaded apps like Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV Cube, Box, or Stick

Since many will be looking for a fresh guide on installing 3rd-party apps like Kodi on Amazon Fire TV devices, now that the new Fire TV Cube has been released, here is a new 2018 all-in-one guide for sideloading apps on any Fire TV device, including the Fire TV Cube, Fire TV boxes 1 and 2, 4K Fire TV pendant, Firestick, and both Element or Toshiba Fire TV Edition televisions.

1. Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” by going to Settings > Device > Developer options on your Fire TV device. Do not enable ADB debugging. It is not necessary for sideloading and will leave your device vulnerable.
  2. Install and launch the app Downloader from the Amazon Appstore. To do so, just search for “Downloader” on the Fire TV or say “Alexa, search for the app Downloader.”
  3. If you have a Fire TV Cube, Fire TV 3 Pendant, or Toshiba Fire TV Edition television, you will be asked to grant file access. Select Allow. (If you accidentally selected Deny, then you need to go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > Downloader > Permissions to set Storage to Allow.)
  4. Select the URL field on the home screen of Downloader and enter the URL to the APK file you want to sideload and select Go. For the latest version of Kodi, enter: bit.ly/kodi176
  5. Wait for the app APK file to finish downloading. When it finishes downloading, it will automatically ask to be installed. (If you see a connection error, enter the URL you are trying into a phone or computer to see if it is actually working. Many APK download URLs get taken down, so try to find an alternate URL.)
  6. Select Install to sideload the app. When it finishes installing, select Done and ignore the option to open the app.
  7. After the app installs, select Delete option to remove the installer file to clear up space on your device. If you appreciate how easy that was, consider donating to Downloader.
  8. Press and hold the Home button on your remote. When the shortcut menu appears, select Apps.
  9. Find the app you just installed and highlight it. It will likely be at the very bottom. Press the Menu (☰) button on your remote and select Move to front.
  10. Press the Home button on your remote and you will find the app you just installed at the front of your home screen. Launch the app from here and it will correctly appear on your Recent row from now on.

1. AFTVnews says:

Admit it, you’re impressed by the sheer amount of keyword stuffing in the first sentence, aren’t you? If someone is searching for this guide, it WILL be found.

2. dvdgremlin says:

is there a list of application urls for downloader to use with hopefully a search engine ?

thanks

3. Barry says:

So this is a 32bit device, like the firesticks? The 64-bit Firetv 2 uses Kodi 64 bit at bit.ly/kodi64176

Also, I just got mine and setting it up… so far it does not seem like it supports keyboards, even in Kodi. I plugged in my OTG into the ethernet adapter, and then the USB dongle for my keyboard, and no dice.

So far the cube is ok, but it wont do some things I was hoping (turn on tv and play Daniel Tigers Neighborhood), its only 32bit, and no keyboard support. So far, thumbs down for me.

4. Terry says:

I was just trying to install Kodi 18 Leia with the downloader browser, but when I get to the page and choose Android, it had the 17.x tab selected, and I can’t select Alpha or nightly tabs using the controller. Any way to use ADBlink or a similar tool to install it. I can’t connect, it originally said unauthorized device, but now just says can’t connect to 192.168.1.87, but I can ping the address from my PC.

5. rocky billiter says:

is there a way to have Alexa recognize Kodi, and/or limit alexa’s searches to Kodi for movie/TV show requests, or to prioritize kodi results?

6. Kenny C says:

Anyone have a working URL for Blue Iris?
    Thanks.

7. Maile says:

I have an original FireTV box that has been working reasonably fine for a couple of years, until just recently. Now, it is stuck on the Home screen with just the menu at the top and loading at the bottom–no FireTV icons at all.

It seems like the only solution may be a factory reset which would require me to reinstall Kodi.

I read through this guide and I didn’t see anything about blocking Amazon updates nor about rooting. Are those no longer necessary or recommended?

Thanks

• Maile says:

Anyone have any suggestions or do I need to do a factory reset?

If I do a factory reset, what’s the latest process for getting it reset up? Is there an updated guide for the old FireTV 1 boxes?