How to install Geographically Restricted Apps from Amazon

amazon-border-patrol-geographic-restriction
Now that the Fire TV has been released in Germany, and will be released in the UK tomorrow, geographically restrictioned apps will become more and more common. This guide will show you how to install geographically restricted apps directly from Amazon.

Before we start, it is important to know that entering false address information is against Amazon’s terms and could get your account closed. Use websites like Fake Name Generator to get valid international addresses at your own risk.

Also, if you want to purchase a non-Free app that is geographically restricted, it is best to pre-load your Amazon account with either Amazon Coins or Amazon Credit BEFORE following this guide. Changing your country setting, as instructed in this guide, will temporarily prevent your payment methods from working until you change the country setting back.

1. Locate the app you want to install and verify that it is geographically restricted.
    geo-restrict-00
  2. Go to the “Settings” tab on Amazon’s “Manage Your Content and Devices” page.
    manage-content-devices
  3. Scroll down to “Country Settings” and click the “Change” button.
    geo-restrict-01
  4. Enter an address for the country that does not restrict the app and click “Update”.
    Use Fake Name Generator at your own risk.
    geo-restrict-02
  5. Reload the restricted app’s page and the app should no longer be restricted. Purchase the app and select to have it delivered to your Fire TV.
    geo-restrict-03
  6. From your Fire TV home screen, scroll down to “Settings”
    51.1.3.0-settings
  7. Scroll right to “My Account”
    51.1.3.0-my-account
  8. Select “Sync Amazon Content”
    51.1.3.0-sync-account
  9. The app should begin to download and install. You can now switch your Amazon country setting back and the app will remain on your Fire TV.
    bbc-iplayer-fire-tv-info-screen

1. Screeny says:

I just used this tipp a few hours ago because I want to buy GTA SA for my Fire TV. But it wasn’t possible even if I moved the device from my german account to my US account.

The problem is that your favorite way of payment isn’t compatible with Amazon US and the geo restriction does not allow you to buy the app. Even if you use a credit card and a US invoice address. But I fixed this problem, that way worked:

1. Do all steps from this article.
    2. Buy some Amazon Coins in the US store (like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096E8DAU/ref=mas_srch_coinssprk1000 )
    3. Buy your app directly on your Fire TV by using the previous bought Amazon Coins.
    4. Profit!

Greets from Germany,
    Screeny

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks for the tip! I think you can also load your account with Amazon gift card credit and get around the payment issues.

• Guest says:

Hey Screeny. I love you! I really do :D

I don’t know how many weeks I tried to figure out why it didn’t work until I gave up a year ago… and by deleting that f***ing payment method everything just works now. I can finally spent my remaining coins and get cool free apps again. Thank you very much for this tip which no one else ever mentioned so far.

Greetings from Germany too,
      – a guest :)

2. pmcd says:

I don’t quite get the steps. If you change the country code does that take you to the UK Amazon site? BBC iPlayer is not on the amazon.com site. If you are on the UK site and you try to register your FireTV that won’t work. Even if it did as you switched from country to country you won’t keep all your apps.

Anyway, some clarification would be great. Thanks.

3. Azg says:

Has anyone tried sideloading the amazon apks for apps like bbc app onto a fire tv from another region? I understand you still need to use a VPN but it would be preferable to changing your region with amazon.

4. Richard Sohne says:

Has anyone had the BBC iPlayer app change to a wrong version in the last 48 hours.

5. Bjoern says:

Seems Amazon has changed something, I am not able to buy something (even free stuff).

I changed the location of my Amazon.de account to a US adress. Using a US-VPN I connected to Amazon.com, searched for “Hulu Plus” and it showed up. But when I click on buy, I only get the following error message:

“We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you”

I don’t know what I did wrong. Changed settings, used VPN, but still no luck. I just want this damn Hulu Plus app ;)

6. Jon says:

This does not seem to be working anymore. You can access the app (like BBC iplayer) on amazon but it does not allow you to deliver it to the AFTV.

Is there any place to access the AFTV apk for BBC iplayer? I suppose I could just sideload it.

7. W says:

I am seeing the same thing, can purchase the apps and have show in your online account but cannot sync to a Fire TV Stick, never brings the apps into your library. Any other ideas or has anyone successfully side loaded ?

8. Ernie says:

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a
    colleague who has been conducting a little homework on this.
    And he actually bought me lunch simply because I discovered it for him…

lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this issue here on your
    internet site.

• Shay says:

I followed this guide, got the app pushed to my fire tv. It opens fine, shows the content but won’t play anything. It tries then give a message that there was an error. I can play iplayer in kodi and in the web browser. I’ve tried uninsalling and reinstalling but no joy. Anyone any ideas?

9. Mahesh.p says:

I am from trying to install vainglory game from Amazon app.but it is showing we could not process due to geographical error. please help me