How to install Android TV’s Google Play Music app on the Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick without root

This guide will show you how to install the Android TV version of the Google Play Music app on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. Your device does not need to be rooted to follow this guide. Having a mouse and keyboard attached to your device, like the Logitech K400 USB keyboard w/touchpad or 1byone Bluetooth keyboard w/touchpad, will make the guide easier to follow, but it can also be done with just the Fire TV remote.

Big thanks to Moose200 over on XDA for locating versions of the necessary files that are compatible with the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick.

1. Download the zip archive of APK files needed from here and extract the archive. The 4 files included in the ZIP archive are:
    • 1 v4.4.4-1215936.apk
    • 2 v8.7.03.apk
    • 3 v6.0.2.apk
    • 4 v5.7.1780Q-1590147.apk
  2. Sideload all 4 APK files that you just downloaded onto your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, in the order listed above.
  3. Launch the Google Play Store app.
  4. Log into your Google account. This is a lot easier to do if you have a mouse and keyboard connected to your device, but I have verified that it is completely possible to do with only the Fire TV remote.
  5. After logging into your Google account, you’ll see an error message. This is expected and fine. Press the HOME button on your remote and return to your app list.
  6. Launch the Google Play Music app.
  7. Your entire Google Play Music library should now be accessible. The app may need a few minutes to download all data and images related to your music library. The Google Play Store app will not work and is just used to log into your Google account. If your device is rooted, you can follow this guide to install a functioning Google Play Store.

1. bill says:

I see google play services are installed? Wonder if this will work for apps sideloaded but not on amazon app store that require google play services?

2. Jeck says:

Is there a way to do this same thing for Youtube Kids?

• xnamkcor says:

These steps should allow you to use many apps that require Google Services or a Google Account to use. Just remember that you don’t have a status bar at the top in the Amazon OS.

• crazyontech says:

This is awesome…I tried sideloading
      1. Youtube Kids
      2. PIA VPN Android App

Both worked flawlessly. Just had to use a K400 keyboard to control.

3. Tony says:

Can you make a guide for how to install Google Playstore to AFTV 1.Generation?

4. Joe D says:

Really neat trick, hope it keeps working. I’ve got thousands and thousands of songs on Google Play, I’m not paying Amazon extra to upload my own music to their servers when I have it in two or three different places online already.

5. Joe says:

So this will add Google Play Store to Fire TV?

6. Charles Martin says:

Very cool, used adbFire and had it up and going in about 5 minutes. I suppose it’s a bit redundant in my case since I already have the music from my computer (about 25,000 songs) set up to stream to Kodi/SPMC. Only about 90% of those songs are in my Google Music cloud. Although there are some things that I do like a little better about the Google Music UI as compared to Kodi/SPMC. And vice versa, different options for streaming media are always good. But beyond that it’s just fun to experiment and see what else we can do with our Fire TV boxes.

7. xnamkcor says:

Do I have to sideload them? Or can I just install them normally? Also, If I went through the steps to get the real YouTube and Gmail apps working, will I just have to install Google Music?

8. David says:

Here’s a link to an iPhone app which is a great mouse:

Remote for Fire TV by Jean Alger

Same developer has an app for sideloading:

Remote for Fire TV by Jean Alger

They are not free apps. The mouse app is worth every penny.

9. Moe says:

Thanks for the guide, nice and easy to set up. Just goes to show off these companies worked together these devices would be great without having to jump through hoops for services that you are already paying for.

10. Kevin Clarke says:

Great guide, Big thanks!
    Access to my Google Music was one of the annoying restrictions on Fire TV without rooting. Now it’s all there!

If it helps anyone; I downloaded the apk’s to my tablet and copied to a USB stick with an OTG cable. Navigated to the apk’s on the FTV using ES File explorer, and installed from there.
    Google photos would be another great one to have.

Thanks again.

11. Topper Harley says:

Thanks! I successfully used adbFire (aka adbLink) to get this working on my AFTV1. However, TotalCommander was unable to open USB disk (I confirmed the disk is in FAT32 format) with the files even though it could recognize the flash drive was connected to the AFTV1. Furthermore, the K400 was also not being apparently recognized when I used its dongle (but I should test it on a different computer to confirm if its the AFTV1 or batteries in K400).

Any thoughts why TotalCommander could not open the USB disk?

12. Cdlenfert says:

I’m not seeing any stations at all. That’s all I use on Google play. Anyone getting thread to show up?

13. Val says:

Google Play Store not showing in the list of installed apps. Located in Canada – anyone up here successfully installed this?

• Phil Mason says:

Val Live in Ottawa. The Google Play store and the other apks show up fine. Weird thing…Play store crashed before I could login. Then tried the Google Music app, just to see. Boom, all my music was there! Playing now just fine.

14. D.J. Wyman says:

Thanks for this guide it worked perfectly on my direct stick. Also I installed Google play videos after doing this and it works too which means now my fire TV and TV stick can now do everything I want them to do.

• D.J. Wyman says:

Further update for some reason when I did the same thing with the video app on my fire TV 1 the movies won’t play but I installed the Android TV YouTube app and am able to watch my movies from Google play on there so that is good enough for me. Though I do wonder why they play on the fire stick but not the regular fire TV. I have 3 TV devices a gen 1 fire TV fire TV stick and a nexus player My biggest thing was I wanted my fire TV in the living room because it has fiber-optic for my sound bar but I wanted to be able to watch my Google play movies, use my play music subscription as well as. The nexus player is in my kids room because it is great for games and the stick is in my room because all it needs to do is play movies while I fall a sleep.

• Moe says:

I installed the YouTube app as well on my Gen 1 Fire TV and had no issue playing movies from the purchased section. Was surprised they worked at all.

15. Val says:

My bad, have 2 Fire TVs and installed on the wrong one. Now that I cleared that up – working fine :)

As a side note, I have 2-step verification on my Google account and even that works fine – it just asked for the numeric code then logged me in. That was cool!

16. Val says:

Is it possible to “cast” to the app using Chrome? I’d like to just stream some radio since I have no library… so can’t really play anything unless I create one

17. Philip says:

Can i use this same method to to load Google video service?

18. Vulcan195 says:

Installed above APKs and then was about to install Dish Anywhere. Worked great but the App itself is awful … cannot stream live channels.

I was also hoping for a MSNBC App. But an Android version does not exist! So have to continue using Airplay with Apple TV. A little annoying.

19. HifiGuy says:

Does the Youtube app play 5.1 encoded videos or just stereo?

20. Marshmellow says:

Thanks for the guide. I mainly use google play music for my own library, but a few things will prevent me from using this app:
    1. It doesn’t appear to show my playlists
    2. You can’t cast to Chromecast audio

21. CCH says:

Hmmm… I get:

“/Applications/” -s install -r “/Users/choward/Desktop/Google Play Music files for Amazon Fire TV/2 v8.7.03.apk”
    197 KB/s (46706765 bytes in 231.343s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/2 v8.7.03.apk

Any suggestions?

22. don says:

youtube kids not working for me
    any special youtube kids needed?