How to install and use Amazon’s Silk Web Browser on the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

Amazon is working on bringing their Silk web browser to the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. If you simply sideload the Silk browser, it’s not useable due to missing components that will likely arrive in a future Fire TV software update. I’ve created a simple Opener app for the Fire TV that takes a URL you enter and opens it in the Silk browser. While this solution is not as good as the fully functional Silk browser, which is expected to support voice input, it does allow you to use the Silk browser today on the Fire TV, before it’s officially released.

Installing the Silk Browser and Opener app

1. Sideload the Silk browser on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. The simplest way to do this is to install my Downloader app from the official Amazon appstore, enter bit.ly/ftvsilk in the URL field, and select the download button. You will be asked to open the URL in the built-in browser, where you’ll need to move a cursor to click a download button.
  2. Sideload my Opener app on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. The simplest way is to head back to the home screen of my Downloader app and enter bit.ly/ftvopener in the URL field and select the download button.

Using the Silk Browser and Opener app

1. To use the Silk browser, launch the Opener app, enter the URL you want to load, and select the Go button.
  2. The URL you entered will load in the Silk browser. Use the up and down buttons on the remote to scroll. To select a link, press the select button on the remote, followed by the up/down/left/right combination associated with the link you want to select.
  3. You can adjust the Silk browser’s settings in the Fire TV’s main Settings area under Applications > Silk Browser.

1. jediRasta says:

What is a “hoe” screen as stated in #2 instructions , maybe it’s “home” screen?

2. RedPenguin says:

I still don’t understand why Amazon doesn’t just do link selecting by a little square box like virtually any other TV browser I have ever seen…..

• xnamkcor says:

Because this is not a TV browser. This was ripped from a Tablet. It installs in the Fire TV because the two use a similar enough OS. When Amazon puts this in the Amazon Store as being available for Fire TV device, and it is still missing that feature, then we can complain.

3. Victor George says:

Thanks for the app. I tried it with Silk and it got me on to the Google search page. It’s not bad for a browser, and it works great with the Mouse Toggle app active with your remote, but the navigation is extremely limited to only one page at a time; you can’t jump across pages or just type in a URL and jump to there. I get the feeling that Silk for Fire TV is going to be too limited even as a casual browser when it’s fully released.

4. Paul D says:

I’ve used Dolphin browser a few times on Fire TV with no problems I noticed. If you just need a browser then try that. Sideload it as above or es file explorer

• Paul D says:

I should have mentioned you need to use a mouse for Dolphin

• JaZii says:

I also use Dolphin Browser, but on my older Android Box wich has an build in App from Rockchip so i can use my Phone to move the Mouse pointer (RK Remote control).. but i am looking for a replacement for my Box, becouse its only DualCore and slow..
        And i was always thinking how good can i use a Browser on a FireTV or Stick.

• xnamkcor says:

Have you tried Firefox? Whenever I try to use that it seems to blank the screen after a certain point.

At this point I just have a bunch of browsers on my Fire TV and I just try each one until I find the best one for the task.

Netfront seems to be the best overall.