How to install a Kodi skin on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick

Kodi is the most popular sideloaded app for the Fire TV. Its media playing abilities are unmatched by any other app. While many are perfectly happy with its default interface, Kodi has a large skin library that can completely change the look and feel of the app to match your personal preference. The release of Hitcher’s Fire TV skin last week can even make Kodi mimic the Fire TV’s defualt interface. This guide will show you how to install a custom Kodi skin on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. It also goes a step further and shows you how to configure Hitcher’s Fire TV skin to better replicate the Fire TV interface.

1. Be sure the version of Kodi you have installed on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick is compatible with the skin you wish to install. Kodi v15 “Isengard” has added new skinning features that some skins, like the Fire TV Skin by Hitcher, require. If you need to update Kodi, you can follow my guide here.
  2. There are many Kodi skin resources online. Once you’ve found a skin you like, download it and transfer the skin as a ZIP file to your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s /sdcard/ directory by running the following ADB command:adb push /sdcard/
    (Note: Be sure to change to the full path of the skin file you downloaded)
  3. Launch Kodi and navigate to “SYSTEM”.
  4. Select “Add-ons”.
  5. Select “OK” if you get a “First run help…” message.
  6. Select “Install from zip file”.
  7. Select “Root filesystem”.
  8. Select “sdcard”.
  9. Select the skin ZIP file you want to install.
  10. Your skin will begin to install. Depending on the skin, this could take several minutes and you may see additional add-on messages appear in the lower right. There are add-ons that the skin requires being installed. Just wait for a popup message to appear.
  11. When the message “Would you like to switch to this skin?” appears, select “Yes”
  12. Select “Yes” to confirm that you want to keep the skin.
  13. Your skin should now be installed. If the pop up does not appear, you can navigate to:
    Settings > Appearance > Skin
    and select the skin you installed from the top menu item, once it appears in the list of available skins.

Additional Steps for Hitcher’s Fire TV Skin

If you’re installing Hitcher’s Fire TV Skin for Kodi, you should perform the following additional steps to better simulate the Fire TV’s interface.

1. After installing Hitcher’s Fire TV Skin, navigate down to Kodi’s Settings.
  2. Under “Appearance” select “Skin”.
  3. Select “- Settings”.
  4. Select “Enable Wide TV Show and Season Icons”.
    Note: Enabling wide icons changes the images used for TV shows from box art to ones that better match the Fire TV’s interface.
  5. Select “Click to download TV Show logos”.
    Note: Downloading TV show logos places the title of the show on the wide icon in the TV sections.
  6. Lastly, you may want to change the way Kodi behaves with the Fire TV remote because Hitcher’s Fire TV skin removes some of the on-screen buttons, like the stop button. You can find more about how to do that here.

1. Hitcher says:

Many thanks for this guide.

Hopefully it will save repeated questions on the forum.

2. mtbowl says:

I seem to be missing my buffering dialogue. Is there a way to enable that?

3. anyone says:

How do you get the show the icons on the home menu instead of going a level down to My Files?

4. Mike says:

How do I get my local hard drive’s movies’ posters and other metadata to show in the Kodi ftv skin? It worked automatically for me in the Eminence skin on SPMC. Any settings I need to change? Thanks!

5. Alpha981 says:

Super Guide, but whats missing is how to get the latest movies and Tv shows on tne home page.

6. nathan says:

How do you add video addons to the main menu to show like the apps menu?

ActivateWindow(Videos,Addons,return) gets me to the addons but they dont show up on the main screen when i go to the menu.

7. mirewa says:

it looks like a final version has been released. But I didn’t hve time to test it yet.

8. jd says:

After i get to the sdcard folder and select skin.ftv, it gives me a side message saying “dependance not met, please contact add-on author.” what am I missing? I have Kodi 14.2 helix downloaded…

9. Russell says:

Hi I am not able to upload this manualy via adb i have tried via adb fire but when I click on the file I get the message about components not in the correct order I would love this skin any help would be greatly appreciated I am using Mac. Thanks

10. Russell says:

I am getting addon does not have the correct structure ???

11. Someone says:

What your missing is the correct version of KODI. You said your running 14.2. You must be running 15.0 or above for the skin to work.

Since a final version of this skin has been released & KODI Isengard is out of beta…maybe a main post is on the AFTVNews site is appropriate?

12. Lou says:

Great looking skin but for the life of me I can’t get the video addons to show up on my home screen either. My Language is English (US) and it doesn’t work. Only ones that I’ve gotten to work is favorites.

Any thoughts on this and what I can try?

13. Dee says:

Can you remove the scrolling bar that says contact me on Twitter or Facebook on the beast build

14. pxlla says:

Any easy instructions on how to use/upload utilizing the adbFire application? Step 2 of this guide has me totally lost.

15. pxlla says:

Figured it out, it’s important if you’re using a Mac and downloading via Safari to make sure that your zip file doesn’t automatically decompress. Otherwise you’ll keep getting errors in Kodi. I went into Safari preferences and under ‘General’ turned off the Open ‘safe’ files after downloading checkbox. Problem solved!

16. Arthur says:

Hey I was dumb and tried changing my skin without looking any of this stuff first. I changed it to the other default skin and now I can’t get back to settings to change it back any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

17. Kev D says:

This is one of my favourite skins !

18. kaz says:

Help… love the fTV build.. but have lost Movies… it still exisits as an option in settings but does not display on the main page. I am using Jarvis 16