Kodi is the most popular sideloaded app for the Fire TV. Its media playing abilities are unmatched by any other app. While many are perfectly happy with its default interface, Kodi has a large skin library that can completely change the look and feel of the app to match your personal preference. The release of Hitcher’s Fire TV skin last week can even make Kodi mimic the Fire TV’s defualt interface. This guide will show you how to install a custom Kodi skin on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. It also goes a step further and shows you how to configure Hitcher’s Fire TV skin to better replicate the Fire TV interface.
- Be sure the version of Kodi you have installed on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick is compatible with the skin you wish to install. Kodi v15 “Isengard” has added new skinning features that some skins, like the Fire TV Skin by Hitcher, require. If you need to update Kodi, you can follow my guide here.
- There are many Kodi skin resources online. Once you’ve found a skin you like, download it and transfer the skin as a ZIP file to your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s
/sdcard/directory by running the following ADB command: adb push skin.ftv.zip /sdcard/
(Note: Be sure to change
skin.ftv.zipto the full path of the skin file you downloaded)
- Launch Kodi and navigate to “SYSTEM”.
- Select “Add-ons”.
- Select “OK” if you get a “First run help…” message.
- Select “Install from zip file”.
- Select “Root filesystem”.
- Select “sdcard”.
- Select the skin ZIP file you want to install.
- Your skin will begin to install. Depending on the skin, this could take several minutes and you may see additional add-on messages appear in the lower right. There are add-ons that the skin requires being installed. Just wait for a popup message to appear.
- When the message “Would you like to switch to this skin?” appears, select “Yes”
- Select “Yes” to confirm that you want to keep the skin.
- Your skin should now be installed. If the pop up does not appear, you can navigate to:
Settings > Appearance > Skin
and select the skin you installed from the top menu item, once it appears in the list of available skins.
If you’re installing Hitcher’s Fire TV Skin for Kodi, you should perform the following additional steps to better simulate the Fire TV’s interface.
- After installing Hitcher’s Fire TV Skin, navigate down to Kodi’s Settings.
- Under “Appearance” select “Skin”.
- Select “- Settings”.
- Select “Enable Wide TV Show and Season Icons”.
Note: Enabling wide icons changes the images used for TV shows from box art to ones that better match the Fire TV’s interface.
- Select “Click to download TV Show logos”.
Note: Downloading TV show logos places the title of the show on the wide icon in the TV sections.
- Lastly, you may want to change the way Kodi behaves with the Fire TV remote because Hitcher’s Fire TV skin removes some of the on-screen buttons, like the stop button. You can find more about how to do that here.