How to enable ADB debugging on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick

Turning on ADB debugging on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick allows you to remotely interact with the device from a computer, tablet, or smartphone that is connected to the same network as the device. With ADB debugging enabled, you can remotely install (i.e., sideload) apps onto your Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, or Fire TV Edition television, and so much more. Most of the guides on this site require that ADB debugging be enabled. It’s a good idea to keep it on all the time since it can potentially help you resolve issues that may arise during your modding endeavors.

New Interface (Software v5.2.4.0 and newer)

1. From the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s home screen, scroll to “Settings”.
  2. Next, scroll to the right and select “Device”.
  3. Next, scroll down and select “Developer options”.
  4. Then select “ADB debugging” to turn the option to “ON”.

Old Interface (Software v5.2.2.0 and older)

1. From the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s home screen, scroll down to “Settings”.
    screenshot-settings
  2. Next, scroll to the right and select “System”.
    screenshot-system
  3. Next, scroll down and select “Developer Options”.
    screenshot-developer-options-developeroptions
  4. Then select “ADB debugging” to turn the option to “ON”.
    screenshot-adb-debugging

1. Y314K says:

Has there been any use for the “Apps from Unknown source” option. All the app’s I tried to sideload have worked without this setting turn on ??

• AFTVnews says:

The “Apps from Unknown sources” option has nothing to do with ADB and sideloading. All apps installed through ADB will install just fine with that setting off. When enabled, it allows an app already installed on the Fire TV to install apps. For example, ES File Explorer is capable of installing apps, but only if “Apps from Unknown sources” is enabled.

• Y314K says:

Ahh.. Forgot about file explorer installing apps.. Have always just done the PlayStore or AFTV Utility option… And with the AGK Fire app I will probably never need it…

• annette says:

i am trying to turn the adb off but my fire tv stick won’t even let me onto the settings. It just keeps saying firestarter something went wrong restarting homebuttonobserver now. It is also saying firestarter exception clearing logcat failed. Does anybody know how to help me at all please.

2. Los says:

I have downloaded the Twc tv app and it says I must disable debugging when I do so however it still does not work any suggestions?

3. Emma Swimby says:

Very new to this.I have just got an amazon firestick.I had it working last night.but today I cant get onto kodi.the screen its coming up with just says PICTURES.VIDEOS.MUSIC.PROGRAMS.SYSTEM.how do I get back to the main screen.it wont let me go on kodi icon page

• David says:

You’ve cleared data and so lost your Kodi, you need to start again. Never clear data. Clear cache yes, but never data

4. Gus says:

I downloaded the app but when installing dishnetwork app it does work says not supported any help

5. Ever says:

I do not have USB debugging option

6. Q. Ball says:

USB Debugging is not an option under System>Developer Options on my FireStick, either.

Should it be? Can it be added or activated? If so, how?

7. john says:

I have a amazon firestick I buy from best on june 14, 2017 and the usb debugging is not on it. will it still download kodi and put new kodi builds on it?

8. Barry anderson says:

Is there any way to enable adb without the Alexa remote which I have lost?

• Sherry says:

You can download an app on the Google plsystore on your phone or tablet that allows you to use it as a remote for the firestick.

9. ADD209 says:

Ok if you can side load then there’s an app in Google playstore called insomnia. It has a 4.9 star rating. I used this and it works perfectly. No need to root. Just side load the app. Open it press the select button on your remote and job don’t. It’s that easy

10. ADD209 says:

Ok I’ll explain this the best I can. On your fire stick/box go to options/ device/ developers options and turn on ADB debugging and apps from other sources. Now on any Android device download apps2fire. When you open apps2fire you will need you fire I.P address. You can find this in options/ device/ about/ network. After putting in the IP address you can now sideload apps from your Android to your fire stick/box. Now go to play store on your Android device and download insomnia (it’s got a black circular logo with yellow Zzz. Once that’s download open apps2fire again and scroll down till you find insomnia and click install. It will auto install the app. Now open insomnia on your fire stick/box and press the select button on your remote. It should now say (your device suffers from insomnia) this will stop it going to black screen (you also now know how to sideload apps lol NOTE. I don’t know if this stops the screensaver so go to options/ display & sound/ screensaver settings/ start time and select never. Hope this helps folks