How to enable ADB debugging on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick

adb-debugging-header
Turning on ADB debugging on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick allows you to remotely interact with the device from a computer, tablet, or smartphone that is connected to the same network as the device. With ADB debugging enabled, you can remotely install (i.e., sideload) apps onto your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, and so much more. Most of the guides on this site require that ADB debugging be enabled. It’s a good idea to keep it on all the time since it can potentially help you resolve issues that may arise during your modding endeavours.

1. From the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s home screen, scroll down to “Settings”.
    screenshot-settings
  2. Next, scroll to the right and select “System”.
    screenshot-system
  3. Next, scroll down and select “Developer Options”.
    screenshot-developer-options-developeroptions
  4. Then select “ADB debugging” to turn the option to “ON”.
    screenshot-adb-debugging

1. Y314K says:

Has there been any use for the “Apps from Unknown source” option. All the app’s I tried to sideload have worked without this setting turn on ??

• AFTVnews says:

The “Apps from Unknown sources” option has nothing to do with ADB and sideloading. All apps installed through ADB will install just fine with that setting off. When enabled, it allows an app already installed on the Fire TV to install apps. For example, ES File Explorer is capable of installing apps, but only if “Apps from Unknown sources” is enabled.

• Y314K says:

Ahh.. Forgot about file explorer installing apps.. Have always just done the PlayStore or AFTV Utility option… And with the AGK Fire app I will probably never need it…

• annette says:

i am trying to turn the adb off but my fire tv stick won’t even let me onto the settings. It just keeps saying firestarter something went wrong restarting homebuttonobserver now. It is also saying firestarter exception clearing logcat failed. Does anybody know how to help me at all please.

2. Los says:

I have downloaded the Twc tv app and it says I must disable debugging when I do so however it still does not work any suggestions?

3. Emma Swimby says:

Very new to this.I have just got an amazon firestick.I had it working last night.but today I cant get onto kodi.the screen its coming up with just says PICTURES.VIDEOS.MUSIC.PROGRAMS.SYSTEM.how do I get back to the main screen.it wont let me go on kodi icon page

4. Gus says:

I downloaded the app but when installing dishnetwork app it does work says not supported any help

5. Ever says:

I do not have USB debugging option

6. Q. Ball says:

USB Debugging is not an option under System>Developer Options on my FireStick, either.

Should it be? Can it be added or activated? If so, how?