How to disable auto-playing video and audio on the new Fire TV home screen interface

At the top of the new Fire TV interface, added with the 5.2.4.0 software update, is a “featured content” area that is essentially a big banner ad. While scrolling down from the the main menu, if you pause long enough on the ad, the static image will turn into a video that automatically starts playing. While you can’t remove the ad entirely, it’s thankfully easy to disable it from auto-playing. Here’s how to limit the “featured content” banner ads to remain images.

1. From the home screen, scroll to the Settings section.
  2. Scroll to and select the “Preferences” menu option.
  3. Scroll down and select the “Featured Content” option.
  4. Turn of the “Allow Video Autoplay” and the “Allow Audio Autoplay” options.

1. ChrisBC says:

Thanks, that got annoying REAL fast. Hopefully this isn’t a trend, trying to make the main GUI look like CNN…

2. Kevin says:

What happened to My Photos? I use amazon photos primarily so it’s easy to share videos on the big screen. But I can’t find it anywhere in the new UI and it’s apparently not documented anywhere, either

3. clocks says:

It’s a good thing they put in a setting to turn this off, or it may have been a deal killer for me.

4. Thomas Liya says:

How did you get Kodi to show up on the home screen? I’m using the AppStarter app to get to Kodi and it doesn’t show in the recent apps.

• ChrisBC says:

Look under Apps & Games to find the icon for Kodi & open it. Then after you exit it, it should now show under recents, at least that is how it works here on mine

5. Tom says:

Thanks for this info!

6. Neil G says:

I can get SPMC to display but not Kodi.

7. ChrisBC says:

well that is strange, I had the opposite prob, couldn’t even get SPMC to boot up, but Kodi does.

8. Jeff says:

Is it possible to have the screen default to the apps screen through harmony remote? Could do it before the update, but can’t seem to figure out how it can be done now. Let me know if you know of a solution.
    Thanks.