How to disable Amazon’s app blacklist on a rooted Fire TV 2

Amazon has decided to disable FireStarter and FiredTV Launcher through an app blacklist in their new software update. If you have a rooted Fire TV 2 running pre-rooted ROM version, here is how to disable the app blacklist and restore FireStarter and FiredTV Launcher.

1. Connect to your device via ADB.
  2. Enter ADB shell by running the command: adb shell
  3. Enter root by running the command: su
  4. Disable the blacklist by running the command: pm disable
  5. If you have FireStarter installed, re-enable it by running the command: pm enable de.belu.firestarter
  6. If you have FiredTV installed, re-enable it by running the command: pm enable com.altusapps.firedtvlauncher
  7. Your launcher apps will now work again and shouldn’t be disabled anymore, even after you reboot. You will need to repeat this guide if you ever perform a factory reset.
  8. Exit root by running the command: exit
  9. Now exit shell by running the command: exit
  10. Note that FireStarter v3.2.3, which is currently the latest version, has incompatibility issues with Fire TV software version, so home button detection may be broken. You can try using FireStopper for now, since it has fixed some of the issues, and just know you’re device is ready to use FireStarter if it ever gets updated to work well with

1. anthony says:

when i enter that whole command, it gave me an error

2. SpY says:

root@sloane:/ # pm disable
    e <
    Component {} new state: disabled
    root@sloane:/ # pm enable de.belu.firestarter
    pm enable de.belu.firestarter
    Package de.belu.firestarter new state: enabled
    root@sloane:/ # pm enable com.altusapps.firedtvlauncher
    pm enable com.altusapps.firedtvlauncher
    Error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown package: com.altusapps.firedtvlauncher

• anthony says:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\adbfw131>adb shell
      shell@sloane:/ $ su
      root@sloane:/ # pm disable
      le <
      Error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Component class does not exist in
      1|root@sloane:/ #

• techguy31 says:

I get the same results here. I am on CFW 5.0.5 and rooted, could this possibly be due to my version not being on

• Y314K says:

“app blacklist in their new software update. If you have a rooted Fire TV 2 running pre-rooted ROM version”

3. cdlenfert says:

What’s the end result of the home button mapping? Specifically for Fire Starter? No more double press functionality I’m guessing, but does everything else work as expected? Thanks!

4. SpY says:

Everything seems to work great firestarter loads after rebooting, but unfortunately pressing the home button no longer works, single press or double-click.
    This might just be me though, can anybody else confirm.

5. anthony says:

i have a question also, i found this package “” is this gonna override the automatic update from amazon?

• Christopher Loughrey says:

You would need root access to run that command, if Amazon pushed the new update then you would have lost root access and could not push a command like that.

6. TechyChris says:

I’ve read some posts over at xda and some are recommending using adb to block DeviceSoftwareOTAContracts.apk and .”DeviceSoftwareOTAIdleOverride.apk as well as the originally as well as the originally specified adb shell pm hide,
    Does anyone know what the first 2 are used for and should they be blocked if possible? Thanks

7. KK says:

It did work for me. But seems like home button single click and double click in fireStarter app are not working.

8. KK says:

I couldn’t install anything from Google Play Store after flashing this ROM. Do I have to reinstall Play Store again?

9. Rapha says:

Just wonder whether it will work with SuperSu also as it currently won’t start up.
    (I have the chance to test it after the weekend)

10. Cooltwou says:

I was running this program on 2 Fire TV and neither are Rooted is there a way to get to use this program again without Root access

11. Cooltwou says:

I did the install by ES file explorer and it doesn’t show me anything when I click on the title and I set it up twice

12. gdroid666 says:

does kingo root or the new fw break Es file explorer too? i cant get it to do anything
    i tried 2 tutorials to install firestopper through es file explorer
    both links will download on my pc but they do not work in es file explorer
    i click the links and nothing happens, one tutorial said to go to more and select open in browser i tried that with both links and ever time i do it it just backs me out of ES file explorer back to fire tv UI
    i know something definitely is breaking mouse toggle
    seems like there are lots of problems with this new fw kingo root or both

13. Xmpp Texting says:

pm packages list -d

does NOT show that

is disabled

How can one know which sub-package or whatever is disabled?

14. less cranky says:

How do we replace kingo superuser with chainfire SuperSU?