How to disable Alexa’s new Brief Mode in order to bring back “Okay” responses

Amazon is starting to roll out a new Brief Mode for Alexa that reduces how much the voice assistant speaks in response to requests. The new mode appeared from some customers and then disappeared shortly after, but now it seems as if it’s here for good. While many customers love the new setting because it replaces Alexa’s verbal “OK” response with a quicker non-verbal confirmation chime, Brief Mode is catching a few people off guard because Alexa is offering to turn the mode on for you, instead of it simply being an option in the Alexa app. If you accepted Alexa’s request to enable Brief Mode but want to revert back to Alexa giving more verbal responses, here’s how to turn off Brief Mode.

Disabling Brief Mode is simple, once you know where to find the setting. Unlike other recent new Alexa options, like Follow-up Mode, Brief Mode is not controlled on a per-device basis, but rather, as an account-wide setting.

Open the Alexa app or the Alexa Web Portal and go to the settings area by either selection the gear icon in the bottom-right corner, or selecting “Settings from the menu in the upper-left. Then scroll to the very bottom of the settings list and select “Alexa Voice Responses.”

Now simply toggle the “Brief Mode” setting off and Alexa will once again respond verbally to confirm your requests. You can always go back into the Alexa app and toggle the option back on if you change your mind.

1. AR says:

this is an ok addition but it would be much better if they would just adopt the google home nite mode settings menu so you can set volume levels for
    specific time windows that you also can set
    one of the few things google home actually got right is the nite mode settings

GH also has the ability to set LED brightness levels for the the selected time window also which i find to be unnecessary ,especially on the GH mini which has only 4 small white led’s
    the echo has much more light on it’s light ring but i still would not bother with dimming it in the night mode menu because the light is not bright enough to bother me at all

• AFTVnews says:

Volume schedules would be a great advanced feature.

FYI, all Echos and Echo Dots have an ambient light sensor on top that brightens the LED ring if the room is bright and dims the LED ring if the room is dark.

2. Jim Carter says:

I’m always the last kid on the block with Amazon and Google updates. I’ll have to keep checking back to see if this appears in my settings.

• Dan says:

Its not specifically the update. I have received the latest update but still don’t have Brief Mode on all my devices. It looks like they rolled it out to the earliest Gen devices first.

3. Mike Blakeslee says:

Yea I still have no Brief Mode in my Alexa App settings… Not that I necessarily want to silence Alexa and her okays. I would just like the option be there and try it out. Guess I’ll just have to keep on waiting..

• Stefan says:

Man, I spent a hour looking for the damn option. It’s just not there. So went to alexa.amazon.com and disabled it from there.
      Interesting enough, Alexa can enable the option via voice command, but can’t disable it.

4. Sam Lowry says:

A simple visual confirmation is all I need. Old man rant… not sure why everything needs to beep. Get off my lawn too! :)

• Hackfleisch says:

Same here. I don’t want a conversation with a voice control switch. I don’t think it’s healthy how some people actually talk to the device, as if “it” was a “she”. Isolation of people in modern society seems to increase demand for these devices being more, than voice control. They get names. They even “laugh”. I’m glad to read that I’m not the only one who rejects that and just wants this to be a switchboard with voice control.

5. Dave says:

Thank you very much for the info!

6. Ray says:

I tried the Brief setting, but quickly found that I missed Alexa’s voice too much. Thanks for this article to help me easily bring Alexa’s dulcet tones back into my daily routine.

7. meg says:

Thought there was something wrong with my Alexa because she didn’t say “ok” when I asked her to turn the lights on. So glad I found this site and could disable this new Brief Mode and get her voice back.

8. Cliff says:

I would like to turn her voice back on. However, when I attempt to activate the toggle the brief mode off, the switch will not slide over. Help!

9. Hackfleisch says:

10. Tampa8 says:

I tried the a command to enable Brief Mode because it isn’t in my settings online or in app. All of my devices seem to recognize the command, ask which device and when I name the device Alexa says ok. But the change never takes place. I like the new addition (when I actually get it) especially at night. I agree with others a time setting for this would be great.

11. Cori Neslin says:

I want to disable the brief mode and get the voice back. I followed the instructions but it still does not work. I even rebooted the phone… Any suggestions to be the voice confirmation “ok” back??

12. Tampa8 says:

Anyone else get an answer from Amazon that Brief Mode is not a feature at this time, it is in limited temporary testing with no date set to be released? I asked when I could expect it and that was the answer….