How to continue using DirecTV Now on older 1st-Gen Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks

Earlier this week, DirecTV Now dropped support for the 1st generation Amazon Fire TV and the 1st generation Fire TV Stick. Several people have reported that the latest version of the DirecTV app works fine on these older devices if you sideload the app. You can use my Downloader app to sideload the app by entering the URL bit.ly/dtvfireapk or bit.ly/dtvfireapkmirror on the app’s home screen. For those of you who need detailed step-by-step instructions on how to sideload the app, see this guide. Just be sure to substitute the URLs from this post. There’s no way to know how long DirecTV Now will work with this method, but for now it does seem to work.

1. BobD says:

If you also get your Internet via Dish, doesn’t using a Fire Stick blow your data cap out of the water?

2. Anita says:

How do you launch this directvnow once you have put it on the sideloader app?

• Hold the home button down until a menu appears and select apps to open the grid listing of all applications.

Or- go into settings and manage all applications, but that’s less convenient.

Once you’ve run it a few times it should appear in the recent apps list on the main screen.

3. Jack says:

How about new beta app? Does it work on 1st gen Fire tv as well? How can I sideload that? Any URL?

4. M_A_C says:

Thanks so much! I was pissed they removed support when it works fine.

5. Mark says:

They did WHAT?!?!?! Guess who is canceling service from them, then…

6. Mark says:

WTF Amazon?!?!?! First I have to side step and go thru BS for Youtube and now the same for this DirecTV app?!?!?!?! I am NOT a happy camper! Complete and utter BS!!!

7. David says:

Sorry to say, this doesn’t work for me anymore. It worked on the first device I tried it on, but on subsequent devices the device now gives an error message on launch. This SUCKS.

8. Alan L Daugherty says:

How come no one has said anything about Directv dropping support for my Samsung nook and chromecast. All I get is a notice about a protocol exception

9. Mulondo Echols says:

I did the download but there is no icon on the home screen for directv now. How can I add the app button once I made the download? Thanks