How to connect wired internet to a rooted Fire TV Stick using a USB Ethernet Adapter

Some Amazon Fire TV Stick owners struggle with poor WiFi signal strength. The combination of a small internal antenna, due to the device’s compact size, and being crammed behind a TV will often result in bad reception. If your Fire TV Stick is rooted, it’s possible to use a USB to Ethernet adpater to bypass WiFi entirely and connect the Stick with a wired connection. Here’s what you need to know and how to do it.

Compatible USB Ethernet Adapter

It’s important to use a USB ethernet adapter that is supported by the Fire TV Stick by default, because there is no easy way to install additional drivers. I’ve found that adopters using the Asix AX88772 chipset work great with the Fire TV Stick without any configuration. The exact adapter I used is the Monoprice USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter 109466/9466 but there are many AX88772 adpaters that should also work. If you want to determine the chipset of a particular USB Ethernet adapter, and the the manufacturer doesn’t have it listed, try downloading the adapter’s Linux or Mac drivers. The driver files or instructions will often be labeled with the chipset model.

Quick Guide

Surprisingly, all you need to do to get a USB Ethernet adapter to work is connect everything up and enable OTG capabilities. The Fire TV Stick immediately recognises the connection and automatically switches to it.

1. Connect the USB Ethernet Adapter to an OTG Cable.
  2. Connect a wired ethernet cable to the USB Ethernet Adapter.
  3. Connect the OTG Cable to the Fire TV Sick and lastly to power.
  4. Enable OTG support on the Fire TV Stick by following this guide.
  5. And you’re done! The Fire TV Stick will automatically detect everything and switch to the wired connection. To verify, go to the Settings menu and scroll over to System > Network, and you’ll see it is now listed as a “Wired” connection.

Detailed Guide

If the quick guide above didn’t work, or you want a bit more insight into what’s going on, you can go through the following steps.

1. Connect your OTG Cable to the Fire TV Stick and power it on.
  2. Connect to the Fire TV Stick via ADB.
  3. Enter ADB shell by running the command: adb shell
  4. Enter root by running the command: su
  5. [OPTIONAL] If you want, you can bring up your current network configuration now, before connecting the USB Ethernet Adapter, so that you can see it change later. This way you can verify that your USB ethernet adapter is recognized by the Fire TV Stick. Display your network configuration by running the command: netcfg
  6. Enable OTG support by running the command: echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/bcmpmu_otg_xceiv/host
  7. Connect your USB Ethernet Adapter to the OTG Cable, but do not connect the Ethernet Cable yet.
  8. [OPTIONAL] Check that the Fire TV Stick recognised your USB Ethernet Adapter by running the command: netcfg
    You should see a new line for eth0 in the list.
  9. Connect the Ethernet Cable to the USB Ethernet Adapter.
  10. [OPTIONAL] Quickly, before the Fire TV Stick switches to the Ethernet connection and you lose your current ADB connection, view the IP address assigned to the USB Ethernet Adapter by running the command: netcfg
  11. The Fire TV Stick will automatically switch to the wired ethernet connection. To verify, go to the Settings menu and scroll over to System > Network, and you’ll see it is now listed as a “Wired” connection.

1. AFTVnews says:

If you come across a chipset or adapter that does not work, please reply to this comment so that I can update the follow list.

Incompatible Chipsets:

• • Asix AX88179

Incompatible Adapters:

2. Brian says:

The chromecast power ethernet adapter is said to have a Asix AX88xx chip. Not sure if it has enough power though.

3. Boogir says:

Do you need root to do this?

4. xnamkcor says:

Can anyone confirm if a Gigabit adapter works?

I tried a Sabrent branded “USB-G1000” that reports as AX88178 on my Gen 1 Fire TV(Fire OS 5.0.5) and it did not go to “Wired” when I disconnected the onboard Ethernet.

PS: Is there a command I can do to disable the Wireless? And is there a command to let me choose which network device I am using? I’m not rooted.

5. Jim says:

What about a gb adapter? I have been thinking it might be nice to add one to my 1st gen firetv… I was thinking something with a AX88178 Chipset might work like this one…

6. Deb says:

Is 17gb speed strong enough for a fire stick

7. Johnyb says:

Is there a way to make the OTG support persistent after reboots? Its not really that useful unless this is possible. Thanks

8. Clinton says:

I have setup my fire stick and see the wired connection. I can also access it via ADB using the new IP address but it does not show as having internet access. It continually tells me to go to the network settings to resolve my issue. If I manually access my applications and start plex I can reach my server. Any ideas?

• Damon Galloway says:

hello can anyone help.. I rooted by firestick and have the otg and the usb Ethernet but I am having trouble with the command prompts to enable a wired connection.. can someone help

9. Alison says:

I want to avoid wifi, so hardware Internet to my tv and firestick. How do I do this? I’m so confused. I ordered one of the parts above got it today and I’m banging my head against the wall. Please help! Thx :)

10. Guy says:

It works well but loses wired connection after a reset/power down. You have to go through the procedure again. Any way around this. I’m not familiar with Linux\android but surely there is a way to make th eth0 connection default.

11. The dude says:

Was gonna buy the adapt or etc until I saw guys comment. Not fun having to mess about each time. Anyone?

12. cdlenfert says:

For those asking about re-enabling OTG support after reboot, I’d recommend searching on the XDA developers forum. I don’t understand what this means, but there’s a description on the last comment of this thread that maybe someone could dumb down for us JV tinkerers.

13. mike says:

Hello there. is there still no way to root or connect the firestick tv with OS of to the ethernet? thanks