How to connect to a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick via ADB

adb-connect-full-commands-header
This guide will show you how to connect to a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick using Android Debug Bridge (ADB) from a Mac or Windows computer. Connecting to your Fire TV device via ADB allows you to remotely perform many different tasks, such as sideloading applications.

1. If you haven’t done so yet, enable ADB debugging on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick by following this guide.
    screenshot-adb-debugging
  2. If you haven’t done so yet, determine your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s IP address by following this guide.
    screenshot-ip-address-ipaddress
  3. If you haven’t done so yet, install ADB on your Mac or Windows PC by following this guide.
  4. Launch Command Prompt on Windows or Terminal on Mac. For Windows, you can find Command Prompt by searching or by pressing [Windows Key] + R on your keyboard and entering cmd. For Mac, you can find Terminal by searching (press ⌘-Space) or in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
    windows-command-prompt-cmd-mac-terminal
  5. [OPTIONAL] To ensure ADB is installed, enter the command:
    adb versionYou should see Android Debug Bridge version #.#.# printed if ADB is installed.
    ad-fastboot-terminal-command-prompt-header
  6. Enter the command:
    adb kill-serveradb-kill-server
  7. Enter the command:
    adb start-serveradb-start-server
  8. Enter the command:
    adb connect <ipaddress>Be sure to substitute <ipaddress> with your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s IP address from step 2.
    adb-connect
  9. [OPTIONAL] Ensure you are connected correctly by entering the command:
    adb devicesYou should see only one device listed along with the IP address you just entered.
    adb-devices
To disconnect properly
  1. Enter the command:
    adb disconnect <ipaddress>Be sure to substitute <ipaddress> with your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s IP address.
    adb-disconnect
  2. Enter the command:
    adb kill-serveradb-kill-server

1. Bernie says:

Could you please tell me where I can download ADB debugging ? Thanks in advance

2. Martin says:

you dont download adb debugging, its a setting that has to be enabled on the fire tv stick

3. Jax Ward says:

My Amazon fire box loaded with KODI don’t always fill up cache & also was wondering how to down load movies , Im new to using KODI , I’m enjoying watching movies, jus afraid of messing something up !also wondering about the new update, will it screw it up ?

4. Cam says:

What do I do if at step 9 I see 3 devices instead of only the IP?

• AFTVnews says:

If you have devices, like smart phones, connected to your PC, unplug them. If the devices list IP addresses when you enter “adb devices” then enter “adb disconnect ” for the devices that are not your Fire TV.

5. Carolina says:

Can this be used to set up a new firestick? i have the app on my phone but have to set it up to my wifi first since i dont have the remote. Thanks in advance

6. KJ says:

How do you connect the firestick to the computer so you can root it? Is there a patch cord that will link the firestick to computer?

7. Josh says:

Hi, I have installed adb on my Windows 10 PC as administrator per instructions. When I open the command prompt window and type adb version and just says adb is not a recognized command.

8. Chris says:

I am having trouble connecting the IP address through adb. I enter adb connect and get the reply unable to connect to :5555. Why is this happening? (I am putting in the IP address by the way, not )

9. Mark says:

I follow this entire guide and everything checks out except the device is always “offline”. Ugh.

• Mark says:

For me on the Fire TV I have to go into Settings – System – Network and forget my network connection. Then reconnect to it. Then go back to Terminal kill the server, start the server, connect and then it shows “device” instead of showing “offline”. Man do I need a script for this.

• Dan says:

Try turning off/on ADB Debugging. This worked for me.

10. tropical says:

After doing this, how can I now stop updates to the fire stick

11. Amy says:

What donindonif the fire stick downloaded a voice feature that won’t allow me to use remote properly and not at all for kodi?

12. Dumb says:

Just wondering does the firestick need to be plugged into the pc during all of this. Or in the tv?

13. Jamie says:

I only have an iPhone and fire stick. Is it possible to get Es explore and kodi just using them?

14. Matt says:

After I put in adb connect I get an error that’s says

The syntax of the command is incorrect.

How can I resolve this issue?

15. Mel says:

How do you control ADB on Fire TV if you cannot get a screen to show. Cannot get past Amazon Logo screen?

16. James Adams says:

I just hooked up my rooted stick and didn’t have to do anything. it automatically detected the wired connection and I hooked up a wireless keyboard & mouse ,it detected those also.

Thanks so much for all the info!!