How to connect a keyboard or other Bluetooth device to the Amazon Fire TV

This guide will walk you through the steps of connecting a Bluetooth device, like a keyboard, to the Amazon Fire TV.

1. Your Fire TV needs to have software version or greater for it to connect to bluetooth devices other than game controllers.
  2. From the Fire TV’s Home screen, scroll down to “Settings”.
  3. Scroll right and selec “Controllers and Bluetooth Devices”.
  4. Scroll down and select “Other Bluetooth Devices”.
  5. Put your Bluetooth device in pairing mode at this time. You’ll have to consult your device’s manual exact for instructions, but you usually just have to press and hold a specific button.
  6. Select “Add Bluetooth Devices”.
  7. Once your bluetooth device appears on the left, select it from the list.
  8. Follow any instructions presented. This will vary with different bluetooth devices. For Bluetooth keyboards, you usually have to type a 4 digit number and press enter on the keyboard.
  9. When you see a successfully connected message in the bottom right, you’re done.
  10. If the Bluetooth device ever becomes disconnected form your Fire TV, simply put it into pairing mode and select it from the list of Bluetooth devices and it will reconnect. You do not need to go through the entire pairing process again.

1. James says:

Do you know the code to pair a vur103d Vizio remote to the fire TV? I can get it link but it ask for the code and I can’t figure it out. This would be a perfect remote for the fire TV.

2. Josh says:

somewhat related to this topic, I really like the amazon firetv remote for xbmc. If I purchase a firetv remote, will it pair with an android tablet that has bluetooth support to navigate in xbmc?

3. n8i says:

is there any working way to connect a bluetooth speaker to a non-rooted aftv-stick?
    Was trying a modified settings app, the speaker connected and it says audio is sent to the speaker, but no sound there. Trying to access volume settings makes the settings app crash.
    Would love to use that speaker as i want to use the stick on a non-audio monitor
    Any hints?

4. steve says:

my FireTV Stick doesn’t show “Other Bluetooth Devices”

5. Feroz says:

Does anyone know adb command to stop on screen keyboard to popping up. I know and had done it before found in some forum but now I cant find it anyone.

6. A great article is as much about writing flair as it is about technicalities, but you have it all. It takes a great writer to have flair and and skill.

7. Steve says:

I have version
    and when I go to Settings>Controllers and Bluetooth Devices
    I don’t see “Other Bluetooth Devices”

• JPM says:

You may have missed this important part: “Your Fire TV needs to have software version or greater for it to connect to bluetooth devices other than game controllers.” is less than, hence you will need to update your OS to or greater.

8. Rajeev Kamal says:

I got Logitech k380 for fire tv and after pairing code prompt, and entering with the keyboard with the enter key, nothing happens. not paired. tried even on amazon fire stick. even the setting.apk crashes on both devices. what could be done? I am considering returning the keyboard. please help.