How to complete the Fire TV Stick Initial Setup without Updating

If you are blocking updates, the Fire TV Stick will not allow you to complete the initial setup. The video above and instructions below will show you how to get past the forced update in order to complete the initial setup without updating.

The reason you might want to avoid updating is to ensure your Fire TV Stick is as compatible as possible with a potential future rooting method. While the Fire TV Stick currently cannot be rooted, staying on an old software version gives you the most flexibility for future rooting and mods.

This method works on Fire TV Stick’s running the oldest software version, which is version 54.1.0.0_user_100211520. Our experience with the Fire TV has shown us that different software version will handle failed updates differently. If your Fire TV Stick is running a newer software version, this method may not work for you.

This method involves cutting the Fire TV Stick’s internet connection at a precise moment during the initial setup. In my video I use my computer to share its internet connection with the Fire TV Stick so that I have full control of the connection. You don’t have to do it this way. Instead, you can use your routers settings to stop the connection, or even just pull the power to your modem or router.

You should be blocking updates. You can try to follow this method without blocking updates, but be aware that the Fire TV Stick continues to try downloading updates in the background, even after you pass the “Checking for Updates” screen.

1. Follow my guide to block software updates.
  2. Power on your Fire TV Stick.
  3. Press “Play” when prompted.
    ftvs-skip-update-start
  4. After the Fire TV Stick scans for networks, you should now be on the wifi selection screen.
    ftvs-skip-update-wifi
  5. If your Fire TV Stick skips the wifi selection screen because you already configured your network from a previous boot up, just let it reach the update error screen and then press the back button. You should then be on the wifi selection screen.
    ftvs-skip-update-error
  6. Select and configure your network, but do not press the “Connect” button yet.
    ftvs-skip-update-connect
  7. Prepare yourself to kill the Fire TV Stick’s internet connection. You can do this in several ways, like using your routers configuration, or even physically cutting power to your router or modem. The next few steps will happen quickly, so you should read ahead to know what to expect.
  8. Select the “Connect” button on the Fire TV Stick’s network configuration. The Fire TV Stick will display “Connecting to [NETWORK NAME]”.
    ftvs-skip-update-connecting
  9. The instant you see “Connection Successful”, cut off the Fire TV Stick’s internet connection.
    ftvs-skip-update-success
  10. You’ll next see the “Checking for updates” screen. There is a brief moment when this screen first appears that you still have time to kill the Fire TV Stick’s internet connection if you didn’t do it fast enough on the previous “Connection Successful” screen.
    ftvs-skip-update-checking
  11. If you see the “Downloading the latest software” screen, then you didn’t cut the Fire TV Stick’s internet connection soon enough and need to start over. You can press back when you see an error message to start over.
    ftvs-skip-update-downloading
  12. After the “Checking for updates” screen you should be taken to the registration screen. Once here you’re in the clear. You can now turn the internet connection back on. Once the internet connection is back on, it’s best to let the Fire TV Stick sit on the registration screen for a few seconds to ensure it has reconnected to the internet. If you go past this screen without an internet connection, you will be taken back to the network configuration screen and will have to start the process over.
    ftvs-skip-update-register
  13. Complete the rest of the setup process. You can check your software version under Settings > System > About.
    ftvs-skip-update-version

1. jimberkas says:

my router was set up to block amazon updates on my Fire TV. So the Fire Stick was stuck at “checking for updates” forever. I never turned off my wifi, but just backed out a couple times and retried. After a few attempts, it just skipped the update and I was up and running on 54.1.0.0
    then I noticed that Netflix didn’t work, just locked up. Everything else ran great, even TVMC.
    So I unblock the update and let it do its thing. On 54.1.0.1, Netflix worked perfectly.
    So…might not want to block that initial update.

2. jimberkas says:

by the way, this thing is pretty slick for $20, wish I could pick up a few more at that price as gifts. But at $40, its getting a bit harder to pull the trigger. I got a brand new Fire TV for $54 with a staples coupon, so it would be hard to pay full price for the stick.

• Y314K says:

Staples & maybe Best Buy too will have the Fire TV Stick for $24 From Sunday to Wendsday. And Staples will have the Fire TV for $74 on Thurs-Fri. If I remember the ads correctly…

• Omar says:

My fire stick is stuck at the registering screen and I can’t get it off this screen, do you have any advice

• Jules says:

did you ever get an answer, I have the same problem. After Amazon firestick starter screen, it goes to the registration page, where it asks if you have an account, or want to create a new account. I can’t choose either option, and it won’t budge off of this screen.

• Angelo Restrepo says:

Where can i find such a coupon?

3. diverge says:

This isn’t working for me. I’ve setup a wireless access point on my PC, and have my fire stick connnecting to it. The moment it connects to the access point saying “Connection Successful” I pull power to my switch, but it also seems to be able to check for the update almost instantaneously.

I’ve tried like 10+ times, even trimming the time it takes to connect and trying to anticipate it before it displays.

Can this still be done once it has already done an update check at least once?

4. diverge says:

It appears if you fail to prevent it from checking for updates at least once you need to powercycle the fire stick… or it seems to remember.

5. Sunrise495 says:

2 Questions:
    The FireTv stick cannot rooted with it’s “shipping” firmware?

Can I pull a XBMC backup off a FireTv and install it on the FireTv stick?

Love the site!

6. ponghclub says:

Does anyone know any brewser app work i mean navigate by remote control not mouse?

7. shawn says:

i have wifi through my apt and the wifi prompts you to accept the terms and conditions before you can connect. the firestick will not connect to this internet because i am never redirected to a screen to accept the terms and conditions. HELP!

8. Robbie says:

Is there a way to disable updates on the FireTV stick?

• Robbie says:

Answering my own question. But I see now that we needed to root the FireTV to disable the updates. And there is no way of rooting a FireTV Stick as of now.

9. Ti2Ben says:

VICTORY!! After days of trying to the &^%^%$%$ download software update, giving up – thinking there was an issue with the stick itself – I called Amazon and they sent me a new one. I asked them to please ensure the new stick has the software already pre-loaded. Got the ‘new’ stick today and just my luck, the system tried to download latest software update on this one, too. Thank goodness I found your very helpful article! Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that my router will allow me to block domains or URL strings so your ‘disconnecting wi-fi” work-around worked perfectly. THANK YOU!

10. Ninjago says:

Thank you very much for the detail instruction. My stick is stuck during the bypass procedure; I missed “that moment” to unplug the WAN connection and I tried that more than 5-6 times. Now it always stops at “Connect to your network” screen and does not proceed to “Scanning the network” screen. Did I brick it already? Is there a way to hard reset the stick? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11. Tony says:

My Fire TV Stick’s running the version 54.1.0.0_user_100211520. But how come under “developer option”. There is only one option for “adb debugging” no “app from unknow” showing?

12. chris says:

I blocked the update sites & string on my router. I connected to my wifi. It said checking for updates for about 15 seconds. I yanked the device out of the hdmi port. After plugging it in it was at the welcome screen. After the video i went to the settings and found i’m at 54.1.0.1

13. Gery says:

its a good deal if you get it under 25 dlls, but its a shame you cant use it without internet, Of course you canthink why would you want one without internet? , but i use it exclusively for streaming my local media thru PLEX, wich only needs my local network, and the stick wont let me open any app plex if i dont have an internet connection, so if that is your plan get roku or something else

14. Yuri says:

Worked fine here. Thank you for the great tutorial!

15. Susan says:

I just ordered & received 2 of the Amazon Fire TV sticks. But I cannot connect to the Internet. It wants the password. I have entered what I thought was the password – apparently I am wrong. It will not connect.

What am I doing wrong?

16. Bonita says:

Hi, I’ve downloaded ShowBox onto my fire stick but it wont let me access the movies. Any suggestions

17. Tamra says:

I am really green at all this techno savvy stuff…please forgive me as this question may seem obvious to many…I have Verizon for Internet and it is a capped data plan…does the stick run through your home internet or is the box/stick a separate internet connection through Amazon?

• AFTVnews says:

Yes, the Fire TV and the Fire TV Stick use your home internet.

If you’re worried about your data cap, you should be cautious with the Fire TV because it has a feature called ASAP (Advanced Streaming and Prediction) which pre-loads content in the background in order to reduce the amount of time it takes to start a video. This means that, just browsing Amazon’s video library will consume a non-trivial amount of data.

18. Tim says:

I have purchsed 2 Fire TV Sticks and neither will connect to my network. I enter my router’s WPA2 password and it starts to reach out then stops and states it was unable to connect. I register’s a strong signal. What am I doing wrong?

19. amanda hamilla says:

Is there anyway around the registering part of the initial set up? I deregistered my friends to sign in on mine and now there are all kinds of buffering issues. when watching a movie it buffers and the screen goes black. Am I going to have to purchase a new one? how can I avoid this in the future, I plan on giving them as gifts and I don’t know what to do? thank you!

20. John says:

I blocked updates on the Firestick so they wouldn’t update during the night and ruin Kodi but I forgot that I blocked the Firestick and decided to rest to factory default and guess what?
    It stops at update and goes to the unable to update screen. Does anyone have any idea how to get past my screwup? I know, it’s my fault but I’m old and don’t follow instructions.

21. kelvin says:

any one know how I can get on my firestick, its saying network connection lost go to network settings but I cant as my remote control don’t work either.
    any help

22. Wohltat says:

Hey guys,

I just received a brand new Fire TV 4K. I want to prevent my device from updating to the newest version, so that I can get root easily. However, when I use this guide in order to skip the initial update procedure it continues to show me the error message instead of jumping to the registration screen. I set up my router to block the domains according to the guide and I turn of my Wi-Fi router the moment “connection succesful” appears on the screen. Any ideas how to fix this?

23. sly says:

just got firestick, my problem is I can not get wfi to connect, I have a very good signal but instead of connected I get disconnected

24. Excellent post.Never knew this, appreciate it
    for letting me know.

25. Perrine Madison says:

So in order to use the fire stick I need internet or WiFi is this correct and I also have to use the computer to set it up my firs stick is plugged in the the HDMI on my tv but I don’t know what I am supposed to put my TV on lease help me

26. Antonio Z says:

I USE TO HAVE A WAY TO DEREGISTER MY FIRESTICK AND IT WOULD STILL DOES ANYONE NO THE NAME OF THE PROGRAM IM THINKING OF? THANK YOU