How to bypass Geographic Content Restrictions on the Amazon Fire TV

video-globe-fire-tv-remote
Apps with geographically restricted content, like the recently released BBC apps, are going to become more common now that the Fire TV is an international device. This guide will show you how to configure your Fire TV to use a regional bypass service to watch geographically restricted content.

First, you will need to sign up for a DNS bypass service. There are several to choose from and they all generally work the same way by giving you a pair of DNS IP addresses to use. UnoTelly is one of the most popular and the one I used to write this guide.

This guide is for Fire TVs connected with a wired connection. If your Fire TV is connected via wifi, you cannot use this guide and will have to configure your router to use the bypass service DNS servers. This is not recommended since it means all the computers and devices connected to your router will have their internet traffic going through your bypass service which is a big security risk.

1. Verify that the app you are trying to use is preventing you from watching content due to regional restrictions. It’s not always clear as some apps will display an undescriptive error message.
    bbc-iplayer-regional-error
  2. Acquire the DNS addresses from your bypass service
    unotelly-dns-adresses-fire-tv
  3. From the Fire TV home screen, scroll down to “Settings”
    51.1.3.0-settings
  4. Scroll right to “System”
    51.1.3.0-system
  5. Select “About”
    51.1.3.0-system-about
  6. Scroll down to “Network” and write down the values listed next to “IP Address”, “Gateway”, and “Subnet Mask”.
    51.1.3.0-system-about-network
  7. Go back one screen and scroll down to “Network”
    51.1.3.0-system-network
  8. Select “Configure Network”
    51.1.3.0-configure-network
  9. Enter the “IP Address” value you wrote down in step 6 and click Next
    51.1.3.0-configure-network-ip
  10. If the value for “Subnet Mask” that you wrote down in step 6 was “255.255.255.0” then enter “24” as the “Network Prefix Length”. If the “Subnet Mask” value was “255.255.255.255” then enter “32” as the “Network Prefix Length”. For any other “Subnet Mask” values, use this tool and ener the value listed as “CIDR mask” as your “Network Prefix Length”
    51.1.3.0-configure-network-prefix-length
  11. Enter the “Gateway” value you wrote down in step 6 and click Next
    51.1.3.0-configure-network-gateway
  12. Enter the first DNS address given to you by your bypass service and click Next.
    51.1.3.0-configure-network-dns-1
  13. Enter the second DNS address given to you by your bypass service and click Connect.
    51.1.3.0-configure-network-dns-2
  14. Head to the home screen and Reload the app with restricted content. Assuming your bypass service works, you should now be able to watch the geographically restricted content.
    bbc-iplayer-top-gear-fire-tv

1. netghoster says:

Never used DNS bypass services before. Not sure how this thing work. Do I need a set of DNS addresses for each restricted country, i.e. one set for British, one set for Germany and so on, I have to manual switch the DNS addresses when I switch the region?

Thank you.

2. sushi says:

Nice guide! You can actually configure set the DNS also using wifi, just select advanced option and use a static IP

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks! I was baffled that I couldn’t find a way to configure a wireless connection. I didn’t realise that it’s part of the wifi password entry process. I’ll be updating my guide shortly.

3. Sam Lowry says:

Am I right in thinking there is no truly free way to make this happen?

4. Kai says:

By the way: Is there a way to change wifi settings (like dns servers) retrospectively? I couldn’t figure it out, so the only option I saw was to delete the current wifi connection and add a new one. This sucked, because typing text with the remote is so cumbersome.

5. Jenings says:

Would something like Hola on the play store accomplish the same thing without the monthly fee?

6. Tad says:

Is there any way to include a VPN tool for FireTV (without rooting!)?

7. quilop says:

I have been using Strong DNS works great and you can sideload their app for android they have a year contract for 50 dollars or five dollars a month https://strongdns.com/packages

8. Jon says:

I was able to get the fire tv iplayer app on my US fire tv. However I am not able to get the DNS to work properly with it. I still get an error. The DNS is working fine to change netflix regions, and it actually works fine to view the iplayer through plex, but the actual iplayer app for fire tv seems to someone know I’m not in the UK. Anybody else having this trouble?

9. lee says:

Nice guide, ive been trying out these providers and my favourites so far are unloctor.net and unblockr.net

I think the real difference comes to which XBMC devices are supported, and if its addons they unblock, or just geolocating website content from one country to another.. I tried 1channel with both guys and it only worked with one, and not the other. I now use genesis, and it works better on one not the other, not mentioning names :P

10. ross says:

done the step by step guide for the wifi network unblocker and still cant get it to work only got 1 dns number from the website when I singed up do I enter the same dns number twice thanks regards ross

11. James says:

Thank you. I followed this guide exactly and it allows some geographic content and not others. For example I am able to watch bbc iplayer when I travel overseas, but not the Amazon prime content. When I try to play a movie in my prime subscription I do get the geo content restriction error.

Any ideas why it works for some apps but not others?

James

• Rachel says:

I have the same problem, did you find a solution to viewing prime content abroad?

Would appreciate any help.
      Cheers
      Rachel

• Guzzibat says:

Hi James I have the same problem using reassigned dns I can get ipalyer and itv hub when abroad but not amazon content did you find a solution?

Cheers

12. Momir says:

Try the Hide My IP, low prices, great service, and support. They have the DNS Proxy Servers selection with so many locations and even a software for Windows/Mac.

13. Michael says:

hello
    thank you for screenshots, just one questions: where i can find dns? i use google dns, will be it enough? i also have vpn access on seed4me, can i use it?
    thank you!

14. Woojin says:

It worked in korea.
    Thanks!

15. Mario Cruz says:

Hi everyone!
    I just want to get a bit more technical details on this as I would like to understand this prior to make any investment.

How Amazon make the restrictions?
    Is a DNS enough? in that case, why free/open DNSs like the ones from google will not work or not be enough and I should pay for a service?
    Is a VPN not needed then?

the VPS option will not suffer for traffic limitations? I didn’t found a VPS for less than 5/m. Are you aware of any current deal on VPS?

Thanks!

16. Pino says:

Hi,
    I have a Fire TV (1st gen) and a Fire TV Stick (1st gen) with rooted rbox 5.0.5 FW.
    Recently Amazon Prime video has been available in Italy too. It seems to work on every single device I have (Nvidia Shield and varoius Browsers around) but not on these two Amazon devices. It always shows a “NETWORK_ERROR” error. Is that a geolocalization issue or a different one? And How can I solve it?

Regards.
    Pino.

17. i am stuck says:

what is a DNS bypass service and how do i know which service i am using. How do get these #s

18. Stephen says:

Is there any way to bypass the issue on a FireTV in the UK linked to an Amazon Japan account where iPlayer shuts down after running (and displaying content correctly) with the message that the app is unavailable in Japan and cannot be run. It should work with the DNS setup I have as All4 works fine but it seems that Amazon Japan is specifically checking iPlayer, ITVHub and Demand5 and preventing them from functioning. Someone must have iPlayer running on a US FireTV for example with US Amazon also set up.