How to access the hidden Developer Tools Menu on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

The Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick have a hidden Developer Tools Menu (previously called the System Status Monitor menu) that contains diagnostic options, most notable of which is a System X-Ray bar which displays CPU, memory (RAM), and network usage. Here is how to access the secret menu and an explanation of each option.

Launching the Developer Tools Menu

Using a Remote Control: Press and hold the CENTER and DOWN buttons together for 5 seconds, then release those buttons and press the MENU button.
Using a Game Controller: Press and hold “A” and “Y” buttons together for 5 seconds, then release those buttons and press the MENU button.
Using an App Launcher: You can use an app, like ES File Explorer, that is capable of listing and opening system apps. Go to the app area, be sure system apps are visible, and select the “System Status Monitor” app to open the developer tools menu.
Using ADB: Connect to the device via ADB and run the command: adb shell am start

The hidden menu was added with Fire OS 5, so you won’t find it on devices running Fire OS 3. Depending on which version of Fire OS 5 your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick is running, the menu may have a different name and/or different options.

Menu Items

System X-Ray

The “System X-Ray” option is a bar that appears at the top of the screen and is displayed over everything, regardless of which app is being used. It contains display, CPU, memory, and network information. For a complete overview of the System X-Ray bar, see this post.

Developer Options

The “Developer Options” item was added with the software update. Enabling the “Developer Options” item seems to just open a submenu with a single “Clear Recommendations” option. I wouldn’t be surprised if a future software update moves the “ADB Debugging” and “Apps from Unknown Sources” options, found currently in the Fire TV’s regular settings menu, into this developer tools menu. I can’t tell what the “Clear Recommendations” option does exactly. If you can tell, please comment below.

Launch Network Advisor

The “Launch Network Advisor” option simply opens the same network diagnostic tool found in the Fire TV’s network settings menu.

1. Frank A. Rizo says:

On the Fire Stick remote which is the “Center” button? I have never seen or heard any Fire Stick button referred as such.

2. xnamkcor says:

I thought this was something Kodi or some other program was doing. Maybe that app does the command somehow.

3. Gdroid666 says:

is there any way to do this without a game controller
    on a fire tv stick?
    if not is there a way to pair a ps3 controller, like use sixaxis, i have kingoroot

and soes the menu persist att he top in apps too? or just on th ehoem screen, if i go to kodi it will not be there right? would there be a way to pull it up from within kodi?toggle it off and on from within an app?

• AFTVnews says:

I’ve added a fourth way to launch the developer tools menu using ES File Explorer. See above.

Yes, the menu and the System X-ray bar will be visible in any app, including Kodi. You don’t have to turn it on within Kodi. You can turn it on anywhere and it will stay on the screen all the time, no matter which app you start using, until you manually turn it off.

4. Vulcan195 says:

Thanks for the tip!

Averages through a 30Mb ISP …
    Netflix 4K – 17Mbps
    Smithsonian 4K – 9Mbps
    Curiosity Stream 4K – 20Mbps

5. CG says:

This is odd, I accidentally got into this screen yesterday by pressing the menu button only. When I turned it on, it got annoying since I didn’t know what it was and didn’t know how to turn it off. It wasn’t until I restarted the FireTV everything was back to normal. So then I looked up what mode I was in last night and found the center, down, menu directions from another website.

My only conclusion is that sometimes hitting the center or down may get stuck and that’s why when I hit the menu it prompted me to turn on X-Ray.

6. Matt says:

This is a easy way to access the Developer Tools Menu for Kodi users;

Kodi Home Screen > Programs > Andoid Apps > System Status Monitor.