Here is what the new Amazon Fire TV Home screen interface looks like

new-fire-tv-interface-home-screen-header

Amazon has given Variety a preview of the new Fire TV interface, in the form of the image you see above. This is our first clear look at the new interface, if you don’t count the screen grabs from earlier this month. You can see the vertical navigation menu from the existing interface has been replaced by a horizontal menu along the top of the Home screen. The separate Apps and Games section appears to be replaced by a single Apps section. Also missing are the Music and Photos sections. Those sections will be replaced with standalone apps from Amazon, as we’ve already seen with the new Music app.

Below the navigation menu is a large banner which Variety says will “teases shows and movies from both Amazon Prime and select partners with still art as well as short video clips.” Under the large banner is a familiar Recent section, which only displays video content in the image above, so it’s not clear if recently used apps will also appear there.

Below the Recent section is a My Apps & Games area. This is where Amazon is finally giving customers a bit of control over their Home screen layout. You will be able to select which apps appear in this list. At the top of the Home screen is, unfortunately, still a banner ad, like was added to the existing Home screen early last year.

The new interface will arrive later this year, via a software update, on the new Fire TV Stick 2 and the Fire TV 2 first. The 1st generation Fire TV and Fire TV Stick will also receive this new interface, once it finishes rolling out to the newer devices.

Update

Be sure to check out the two additional shots of the new interface that were just posted.

1. Travis says:

I got my stick today… the firmware is currently the old firmware installed on AUG 20th. No available updates yet.

2. Lo says:

They need to fix the truely universal voice search, or just voice search from the netflix app since its the only one I use pretty much in terms of paid streaming services.

3. Jeff says:

I have 5.2.2.0 installed Friday August 19th 2016 Last Checked October 20th 2016
    My home screen looks just like the first Gen stick. Disappointing!!

4. clocks says:

Anyone with the new stick able to adjust the screen scaling? Mine tells me to do it via the TV, but my TV has no such option.

5. Derek says:

Just got my Fire TV Stick 2 today, but one thing that’s really weird is that I cannot add the Starz app. Alexa won’t find it but it is on my other stick.

• Ashley says:

I looked for Starz as well but you can only get it through prime, the app is not compatible on this one. I don’t care for the new fire stick. I may send it back.

6. Travis says:

Got home and hooked mine up… Set it up on my wireless and now it has found a software update… Installing now.

• clocks says:

Interesting. That update wasnt available earlier this afternoon. But I just checked my new stick, and it did indeed update to it. Looks like the MUSIC section was added at the bottom. Also, maybe my imagination, but the device seems a tiny bit snappier.

Still can’t adjust overscan though. Not sure why Amazon removed that.

7. Robert Theed says:

I liked having the photos section there rather than in an app. I won’t ever remember to look at it if it’s tucked away in an app I never load.

8. Christopher Loughrey says:

I don’t know, I think the older interface looks better and easier to navigate

9. Eric Walker says:

It definitely looks cleaner then the existing interface,but there’s things that don’t make sense to me. Like why must they have an apps tab when there’s and apps and game row directly below it? Seems inefficient.

10. Liam says:

Don’t dislike it and I’ve been looking forward to an update but I dunno.. why is that banner ad where it is? Looks out of place.