Gaming comparison between the 1st and 2nd-gen Amazon Fire TV

This video shows GTA: San Andreas running at maximum display settings side-by-side on both the 1st-gen Fire TV and 2nd-gen Fire TV. I chose GTA: San Andreas because it’s one of the few games that lets you increase the picture quality beyond the capabilities of the original Fire TV. As you can see, the frame rate of the 1st-gen Fire TV suffers greatly, making the game unenjoyable to play, while the 2nd-gen Fire TV maintains a smooth frame rate. This was just an experiment to see if you could see a difference between the two devices. If you want to see more videos like this, hit the YouTube like button and subscribe to my channel so you don’t miss future uploads. Let me know in the comments of additional games or apps that you’d like to see compared side-by-side, especially ones that have graphical settings which can be adjusted.

1. jason says:

Why does the 2nd gen keep saying waiting to synchronize?

• trojan4evr says:

I think that’s just from the software that he’s using to display the side by side comparison…

• Adam says:

Because the 2nd gen is so much faster that Elias has to pause its video to allow the video of the 1st gen to catch up.

Thanks Elias, this is the kind of unique content that makes AFTVNews worth the hourly refresh.

• AFTVnews says:

Correct. It’s just me pausing the 2nd-gen video so the 1st-gen has a chance to catch up. The 1st-gen can’t handle the graphics turned up to max, so it runs the game slower. I pause just so the two videos remain similar so it’s easier to compare.

2. xnamkcor says:

Can you do some PPSSPP benchmarks? Maybe use a game that allows for play sessions to be recorded, like a racing game. On Gen 2 see if PPSSPP can go up to 4K?

3. Got nutts says:

D a m n H o m m y !

4. hiavatch says:

Cool beans. Love that game but always end up uninstalling it, since it won’t let itself be moved to USB storage. The 2nd gen lets you use the SD card slot as internal storage, right? So does this game still run at full speed played that way, off of an SD card? Anyone know yet?

• AFTVnews says:

You may experience slightly longer load times for games installed on USB or microSD external storage, but once you’re in the game and playing, the game will already be loaded into RAM so it won’t affect actual gameplay.

• hiavatch says:

That’s what I experience with the games that I’ve moved to USB on my first gen. They take very slightly longer to load and then run perfectly. GTA is different, I thought, in that it constantly loads data in the background as you move around, sort of like Minecraft (which runs great on external storage for me). The game area is too large to hold in RAM all at once. I’m just curious how it would play on a second gen running off an SD card.

5. D says:

It will be interesting to repeat the comparison once FireOS 5 is rolled out to the 1st generation Fire TVs. I recall reading complaints about running emulators on the 1st gen units due to the older drivers included with FireOS 3. Hopefully within a few months, we will see what software improvements Amazon may include with the FireOS 5 release such as newer, more efficient video drivers… Maybe that will provide some better numbers for AFTVnews’ first set of comparative benchmarks, too.

6. Alex says:

Does anyone know if the 2nd gen can do moonlight streaming at 1080p 60fps? The max on the first gen is 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps. I was thinking about buying a 4k tv and replacing one of the 1st gen units if it will allow me to do 1080p 60fps in moonlight.