The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller is one of the best alternate game controllers that easily connects to the Amazon Fire TV right out of the box. The only problem with the controller is that the Fire TV sees it as the official Amazon Fire Game Controller which results in some buttons being mapped incorrectly. User lilcza1 on the XDA-Developer forums has created a custom android keylayout (.kl) file which correctly maps the DualShock 4 buttons. Read on for our guide on how to install the custom key layout file.
In order to install the custom key layout file, your Fire TV must be rooted. Rooting your Fire TV is simple. Just follow our guide here.
- Download (right-click and select save as…) the custom keylayout file: Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl
- If your DualShock 4 has already been paired with your Fire TV, go to Settings > CONTROLLERS and unpair it.
- Connect to your Fire TV via ADB
- Run the command:
adb push <full-path-to-file>\Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl /sdcard/
(NOTE: Replace <full-path-to-file> with the path to the file you download on your computer. For example: adb push C:\Downloads\Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl /sdcard/ )
- Run the following commands one by one:
(NOTE: Each command is one line. There are 8 lines/commands total.)
- adb shell
(NOTE: If you have never run the command su before, your Fire TV will display a popup asking for you to grant permission. Select “Grant” on the popup)
- mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
- cp /sdcard/Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
- mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
- rm /sdcard/Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl
(NOTE: Yes, you run exit twice)
- Restart the Fire TV by holding Select and Play simultaneously on the Fire TV remote for a few seconds.
- Pair your DualShock 4 gamepad with the Fire TV by holding the share and PS button down at the same time until you see the sensor light blinking rapidly.